Alternate Control Methods

Aurum6

Alternate Control Methods  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What control methods do you use in KSP, aside from mouse and keyboard?

• Console-style controller
    • Joystick or Flight Stick
    • Custom-built control panel
    • Mouse and keyboard, but with alternate key bindings
    • Other (please describe)
  2. 2. How often do you use this control method?

• All the time
    • In certain situations (atmospheric flight, etc.)
    • Not very often, when I feel like it, etc.
    • Other (please describe)

I would hazard a guess that the majority of KSP players use the default mouse-and-keyboard control settings to fly their ships. For those of you who don't, I'm curious to hear about what you use.

I, for example, have an old Saitek Cyborg joystick that I picked up from a garage sale. I've found that having that in my left hand and using my right hand to control the mouse works pretty well, although I'm not as good of a pilot with the stick as I am with a keyboard (yet).

What about you guys?

I swear by my 360 pad for flying planes. I actually bought it with KSP in mind and it's such a joy to fly with, so much smoother than trying to use the keyboard. I know I could have got a flight stick, but I figure the controller will have more general uses, like if I want to play some console emulators or maybe driving games.

For rockets, though, KB and mouse is fine.

I have a joystick, stand alone throttle and rudder pedals for aircraft. For rockets and spacecraft I find it easier to use the keyboard. I moved the RCS translation controls over to the numpad though-- 8 and 2 thrust forwards/backwards, 4 and 6 thrust left and right, and 9 and 3 thrust up and down. 

Edited by Ten Key

I use my PS3 controller for almost everything I don't need to click on. I have the standard controls and translation controls, staging, timewarp, incremental throttle, full throttle, cut throttle, SAS, RCS, landing gear, lights, and brakes. I think that was about all the buttons on the controller.

On 4/8/2016 at 4:44 PM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I play with my feet. (I voted other.)

I have this wicked hang nail on my pinkie toe though, I'm always staging my rockets on accident.

Can you guys recommend a good pair of nail clippers?

grinder.jpg

On 8.4.2016 at 10:44 PM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I play with my feet. (I voted other.)

I have this wicked hang nail on my pinkie toe though, I'm always staging my rockets on accident.

Can you guys recommend a good pair of nail clippers?

Sorry to burst your bubble, RIMP.
Abyssal Lurker did that 2 1/2 years ago :D

Xbox 360 controller - "Rock Candy" brand. Cheap, has a USB cord, lacks rumble but hey, who uses that?!? Also lacks padding on the analogue sticks, but that always wears off the official sticks anyways so it seems even tougher. (?!?!?!)

I use it for maneuvering craft in orbit, landing, atmospheric flight, docking... any time I need to manually control my craft. The other 75% of the time I'm either using Mechjeb or on EVA.

Love it!

On 4/10/2016 at 11:03 PM, The Great Potato said:

I use a game controller unless I'm docking or on EVA. Or if I need lots of buttons.

Roll is on the bumpers and yaw is on the control stick. That way, I can pilot rockets and aircraft with the same control scheme.

I use the same - yaw and pitch on stick and roll on triggers

Edited by moogoob

I use this, but I'm not sure I would recommend it if all you have is KSP.  I play Elite Dangerous and War Thunder too.  However, I don't use it in Space unless I'm driving a rover and then only the throttle and that analog on the back of it.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3F

Edited by Alshain

I have a programmable mouse.  Time warp +/-, throttle 100, and throttle 0 are all bound to convenient keys at my fingertips.  I too moved translation controls to the numpad.  I also have a programmable key pad as an option, but I haven't found KSP requires me to have THAT many keys.  I've only used it to program little macros (like to hold down W for me for long distance rover or EVA treks).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.