Mechanical Mouse Industries - Kethane & Payload Packs Released!!!

Dani-Sang

Perhaps Duna would be better suited? I'll probably build Kethane mines on both :-)

Duna has the issue of being a pain in the ass to land properly on; Mechjeb doesn't seem to understand that it needs to fire engines to brake properly to land on Duna, or rather, it fails at its timing doing so.

My share of kethane done in 0.17. Using the moons orbital speed on kerbin, and my own the moon to get a slingshot to Juul with Kethi (the top part of that rocket)

In this screenshot everything is turned on. Detecting, Extracting, Comverting, Pumping. Yea, the real deal :)

Thanks for this mod :D

zjwrb.jpg

I just landed a mobile kethane satellite on Minmus and it's recharging atm. Pretty nice that the one ion engine it has is enough to land and take off from there, too bad that MJ fails at using it properly for targeted landings, must be too few difference between weight and thrust, it's really barely able to take off : /

Anyways, it would be nice if the map could be fixed (it's upside down) and scaled up to 360x180 so each degree would have it's own pixel instead of the 1.4 per pixel :3 would just make it easier to find the coords of a pocket via pixel counting. Though I just use gimps measuring tool for that.

If possible maybe the depth and / or amount of a pocket could be indicated by color too? Though I have no idea how to indicate two values with one color gradient... I thought about saturation but that could be hard to tell apart from brightness.

My share of kethane done in 0.17. Using the moons orbital speed on kerbin, and my own the moon to get a slingshot to Juul with Kethi (the top part of that rocket)

In this screenshot everything is turned on. Detecting, Extracting, Comverting, Pumping. Yea, the real deal :)

Thanks for this mod :D

zjwrb.jpg

That is an awesome setup . is it possible to provide the craft saves for my use?

Also what mods are you using on your installation?

Duna has the issue of being a pain in the ass to land properly on; Mechjeb doesn't seem to understand that it needs to fire engines to brake properly to land on Duna, or rather, it fails at its timing doing so.

You get there manually just like you do with any in the planetary system. Wait until the planet's position is just under Kerbin's horizon and hit the throttle until it finds an intercept trajectory. Got my probe there without any transfer utility and I really suck at math and eyeball most everything.

Yes, you should make it so you can put your cursor on the map, and will display coordinates, and or display latitude longitude, if you have a rover.

Coordinates would be amazing.

For now you can open the map in gimp and mark with guides the center (128x64) and use the measuring tool, also flip it upside down first. Then just drag it from that center to where you want to go and look on the info panel how much width and height it displays.

Just multiply that with 180 / 128 (it's roughly 1.4) and you get the coords. That's how I hit one of the two pockets I just had on Minmus, when I landed at the last coords of the other pocket in the first try I didn't really find it and had to reload since my miner can't targetland with just the ion engine and I was out of fuel. So I used that method to calculate the center of the other pocket and that hit nice.

But yeah, hovering for coords over the map would be nice but also raising it's size to reasonable 360x180 so each pixel is one degree would be nice too.

That is an awesome setup . is it possible to provide the craft saves for my use?

Also what mods are you using on your installation?

I think you could do with just these mods:

Kethane mod

Carts mod

Mechjeb

NovaPunch remix pack

ISA MapSat

Not sure about this, if it's not working, try installing the KW Rocketry too.

Craft Files:

Kethi Rocket MinMoon MK3(right one) Currently finished on a MK4, which covers it all up with detachable shrouds as an in between model. Next MK5 is going to be for DSM.

Kethane Rocket Lander

And as an extra, my Spaceplane rocket!. I use this one for planets with an atmosphere. It landed on EVE but it lacks punch to get off there again, but I think I'll use that as a kethane pumping "station" now.

By the way, if you use this on any video or streaming at all, can I get some credit for it? I'm on twitch.tv/sceppie myself (and on youtube.com/sceppie) And thanks that you like them. Especially Kethi is like a baby for me :D

Edited by Sceppie

why are you not planning to update the satellite pack!? it was one of the main reasons i loved your mod because no one else has awesome satellite pack as yours. That and the payload pack! as a suggestion i think you should add a 3m part for the payload pack as well! will help make those 2m lander more aerodynamic during launch. Plus it looks nice as well! =)

why are you not planning to update the satellite pack!? it was one of the main reasons i loved your mod because no one else has awesome satellite pack as yours. That and the payload pack! as a suggestion i think you should add a 3m part for the payload pack as well! will help make those 2m lander more aerodynamic during launch. Plus it looks nice as well! =)

I can't speak for the devs, but given that they seem to indicate that they'll be doing opensource work too, I'd imagine that they'll open anything up to the community before it becomes abandonware. The note about MMI.S also says that it'll be gone once new patches make it obsolete. I share your sentiment that it's an awesome mod one would like to keep, but the satellite pack is stable, works well, and does what it says. However, it's unfair to expect them to support something when they have other priorities (kethane mod) and expect that future patches will make their work obsolete. (I'm assuming they mean patches to Kethane, such that the Kethane mod will borrow assets from the satellite pack, not patches to the game.)

Has anyone found kethane outside minimus in .17? I've been searching and haven't found anything yet. I think perhaps there is no kethane outside minimus until we get 1.0 of the kethane plugin?

Try starting with a new persistence file, if you haven't already. (I have no idea how Kethane actually works, but if the deposits are procedurally added to any celestial object it finds at the start of the game, it might not add deposits to planets if the you're working with an old persistence file. That's just a wild stab in the dark though; take what I say with a dollop of salt.)

Edited by phoenix_ca

Regarding Solar Panels, I'm modeled (5) new ones + 2 batteries (and old Ion engine which will be replaced in the future), currently going trough a .cfg file edit.

I hope you planned some VERY large ones, because in orbit around Jool, my solar panels efficiency was only around 3% :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.