Any other game??

Parv Kerman

I'm a pretty dedicated doomer*. Mostly because it's so easy to run on almost any modern system. I actually dabble a bit into mapping from time to time, but I can't seem to hold onto any good projects. But I play Doom with mods pretty often. Playing through the same old levels can only be so entertaining. Luckily, those mods are free. Brutal Doom is one I'm quite fond of. It's very violent. I don't recomend it for small children. I'm playing through the original levels with it now. But I've also started with some fan made level packs.

* person who plays the game Doom it Doom II, games from the early 90s.

On May 29, 2016 at 4:18 PM, razark said:

I rate my landings by how far the ground crew has to walk to pick up all the pieces.

That'd be pretty far if nothing breaks. They have to go and get a mobile crane.

Edited by Bill Phil

3 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

I'm a pretty dedicated doomer*.

You mean there are people who don't still play classic DooM? The mind boggles :wink:
Let us not forget the other games on that engine either, Strife, Heretic, Hexen etc. All good fun, and playable on mobile too. I still haven't run out of WADs to play. And for those who had a Mac way back then, the Marathon trilogy is still awesome.

Addressing the topic in general, the list is long... Recently: DooM, Warcraft II, Baldurs Gate, System Shock II, Descent: FreeSpace II. It varies though, I pick up new games as I see them but it's rare to find one that compares gameplay-wise to the classics. Divinity: Original Sin (EE) gets a mention there as the last modern-ish game I really enjoyed.
I'll add KSP back onto the list at some point too... I hope... Waiting.

Edited by steve_v

I play War Thunder every now and then. I liked it way more before but it's gotten more and more frustrating for me to play.

And sometimes I like to play LittleBigPlanet (just for the create mode.) While it is indeed for the younger generations, the create mode presents a lot of opportunities for building and flying around. (Hmm, sounds like another game I know..)

Flight Simulator X is really fun, though I still find it difficult to execute an ILS landing. Also, the air traffic controller's pretty hard to work with, especially when you're on a flight and fast forward-ing. If you don't acknowledge his messages, well.. your flight will be cancelled.

19 hours ago, steve_v said:

And for those who had a Mac way back then, the Marathon trilogy is still awesome.

Yes it is.  What's more, it's free and playable on modern Macs, Windows, Linux, iPads, iPod Touch and iPhones!

Plus a large number of third party "scenarios" (multiple level maps, including several total conversions) and individual level maps have been and are still being made and are likewise free for use on said Windows, Linux and Mac rigs.  Most of these can be played online as well.  :D

Edited by Dispatcher

Invisible, Inc.  I love this game to pieces, but that's probably because of the way I'm wired.  I prefer TBS (I'd rather out-think my opponent than out-twitch him), especially when the stakes are high; and the complex relationship this game has to failure, and the way short-term plan-making and long-term plan-making are intermeshed, and the way unconventional strategies can still lead to amazing success, and the sheer number of different strengths and weaknesses introduced by different character combinations, and and and and, all contribute to an electrifying experience from my point of view.  (The storyline is sparse, but as with KSP, I tend to fill in the blanks with my own imagination.)  Its strategy model is so polished that it's like chess, except that you get to conk enemies over the head.

Plus, you know, cyberpunk spies don't hurt one little bit.

Edited by Nikolai

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.