The Big and Awesome RocktCo Hidra Parachute

Deusoverkill

RocktCo Industries is proud to present.

The Hidra Camping Tent Parachute

hidraparachuteoverview.jpg

RocktCo Rockbird Pod Sold Separately, NO Batteries Included, Keep Away From Fire and/or children, Do not point at face, handle with care or dignity, 10 Day Warranty

v1.00

DOWNLOAD:

http://www./?0j8n0fjrcox8fb8

v 1.00 Known issue:

as far as i tested it deploys and works perfectly, but when deploys, it goes to full deployment right away without being deflated first, no idea why, but not too much of a problem either. on the other hand i would like to thank NovaSilisko, who offered his help with the export and the .DAE thing, at the end i figured out, but thanks for the offer anyway man :thumbup:

comments are soo wellcome, Happy flights!

cheers!

I'll see if I can figure out why it goes to full deploy, and I'll get back to you on it.

Also, what's the poly count? Just out of curiosity...

EDIT: The chute doesn't look deflated, but it does have far less drag until 500m. You might ask Nova or someone else who has done chutes. I don't remember who did the tri-chute, but that would be the first place I would go.

Hey there!

Itchono, Ludongki: thanks for your comments!

Semininja: yeah, the chute does have less drag until 500m and then it slows down fully, like full deployment. appears to be that the canopy scaling isnt happening properly. the polycount is 1438 tris. and the texture res is 2048x2048. maybe someone else knows about this problem. thanks anyway man.

I'll see if I can figure out why it goes to full deploy, and I'll get back to you on it.

Also, what's the poly count? Just out of curiosity...

EDIT: The chute doesn't look deflated, but it does have far less drag until 500m. You might ask Nova or someone else who has done chutes. I don't remember who did the tri-chute, but that would be the first place I would go.

looking at his part.cfg its identical to the stock part minus 1 line thats slightly different..

hydra

// --- node definitions ---

// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z, size

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0

stock parachute

// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z, size

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.120649, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0

i have no clue if that has any effect on how it deploy's but thats the only different. the other thing is that there is an extra .mtl file in the stock one thats not in the hydra folder, again i'm not sure if that has any effect.

looking at his part.cfg its identical to the stock part minus 1 line thats slightly different..

hydra

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0

stock parachute

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.120649, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0

i have no clue if that has any effect on how it deploy's but thats the only different. the other thing is that there is an extra .mtl file in the stock one thats not in the hydra folder, again i'm not sure if that has any effect.

That's just the position for the attachment point, I think.

Sirmonkey: the .mtl i think is something to do with the material and the .obj format; nothing very important.

and the node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.120649, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0 as Semininja said is the position of the atachment point, mine is at 0,0,0 (origin).

thanks anyway man.

cheers.

That's just the position for the attachment point, I think.

yeah whats what i figured.. but its the only thing different between the configs other then that its 100% identical to the stock parachutes.. though i'm wondering if it has something to do with the higher drag that causes it to open instantly even though its not actually making a difference.. hmm.. maybe i'll screw around and change it to the default numbers of the stock chute and see if it does anything.

edit i think i figured it out.. testing now..

edit2.. nevermind that didn't work..

edit3 found something else.. testing now.. grr didn't work either..

ok i'm at a loss.. tried everything and it always deploys fully open..

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

From what I know about the way parachutes work in KSP, I think your opening problem resides in the 3d model. the stock chutes have a part model that attaches, a cap that flies off when the parachute is triggered, and then the actual canopy itself.

the "ModuleParachute" code lists these part names and animation names:

capName = cap

canopyName = canopy

semiDeployedAnimation = semiDeployLarge

fullyDeployedAnimation = fullyDeployLarge

it you notice the stock chutes move independently from the attached part. This Hidra parachute is physically locked to the attach point. spin the pod, parachute spins with it. Spin a stock pod+parachute and the parachute stays oriented with the velocity vector, not the capsule. check the 3d model and necessary components for parachutes.