The Grand KSP 1.1 Discussion Thread

KasperVld

20 minutes ago, KocLobster said:

I guess a mod found it appropriate to delete my earlier reply to this post.

I'll rephrase: As long as you realize you're part of the problem and not the solution, by all means...it's a free country.

I'm well aware that I'm part of the problem.

Since I chose to pay for the game.

I could be part of the solution, but I don't think Squad wants to pay for my services :)

I've been in the role of several of our esteemed Squaddies, I know their job, I've been there.

Which also allows me, as a paying customer, to whine and complain, when I like it.

Edited by Curveball Anders
Gramar

3 hours ago, smjjames said:

Double check if you're using 64bit, the version number in the lower right on the main menu screen will say (64x) next to it. 

Also, are you using any mods? We have to eliminate it being caused by mods. 

Oh, how do o do that? Would be useful for those random crashes. Or any crash really. 

I am using x64, and I have mods installed

I might be overlooking something terribly, but how do you set controller buttons and axis? I open the input menu, go to flight, and hit the grey buttons with the arrows. There it says Current Assignment: None. I move the appropriate axis, see the text change to Current Assignment: joy0.1 and confirm by clicking Accept. I open the same menu again, and my axis is unassigned again. This is confirmed in-game, with KSP not reacting to my controller inputs at all.

What is going on there?

Edited by Camacha

36 minutes ago, Nicole said:

Hm, I booted up the game real quick out of excitement to see what 1.1 was like, I really don't know what to think now. Strangely parts of the UI like the time acceleration bar or Navball appear too large and lower quality than usual, and other parts like the escape menu are now too small, and there is no longer a sweet spot for these things when altering the UI scale in the menu. I loaded a plane on the runway and it hung in the air with the screen shaking badly, it never lowered to the runway, the engine wouldn't start as the air intakes shown non-operational, and when I made my kerbal exit the craft he bumped into the wing as he fell and the plane crumbled into many bits which floated slowly away as in zero gravity. It is as though I am playing a newly-born alpha version again..

Edit: So is this version going smoothly for other people or is my experience on par?

That sounds like a problem with out of date mods. Nearly all mods will need updates to work with 1.1, so the best idea is to start with a fresh install and add mods one by one as they're updated.

Edited by HebaruSan

4 minutes ago, Table said:

I am using x64, and I have mods installed

As I said earlier, you're going to have to see if it's reproducible in stock. So, if it's a mod, you'll have to figure out which one it is.

I'd recommend making a post in the tech support (modded installs) though so as to not clutter this thread.

Edited by smjjames

I did drop tests on the landing gear and they can sure smash straight down hard! 

But at the same time.  The second you go driving on em, they just go nuts and splinter apart one at a time.

Curiously, my dry-weight land train was the next test and the exact moment the game starts simulating, the runway explodes.  This thing I do lovingly call a land train is about 52 tons, which isn't that big for an aircraft.  A lot of the weight is from the fuel and I know I've built bigger jets before.

What I've noticed in the tests with driving along with the wheels is they seem to drag along the surface and jitter.  I've even tried altering the angle to absorb the horizontal impact better and nothin.  This jittering I think is also connected to how it annihilated the runway because the wheels push through the ground and cause a high speed impact force on the runway at such a high rate it doesn't register on the "stress" bar.  Further reitterating the "they aren't interacting with the ground properly.

So far i've tried a lot of alternatives, wider spacing, no offsetting, angling, and the only successful test was the drop.

I guess the good news is if you can land your jets vertically or at lower than 20m/s there is "no bug"

1 minute ago, Znath said:

I did drop tests on the landing gear and they can sure smash straight down hard! 

But at the same time.  The second you go driving on em, they just go nuts and splinter apart one at a time.

Curiously, my dry-weight land train was the next test and the exact moment the game starts simulating, the runway explodes.  This thing I do lovingly call a land train is about 52 tons, which isn't that big for an aircraft.  A lot of the weight is from the fuel and I know I've built bigger jets before.

What I've noticed in the tests with driving along with the wheels is they seem to drag along the surface and jitter.  I've even tried altering the angle to absorb the horizontal impact better and nothin.  This jittering I think is also connected to how it annihilated the runway because the wheels push through the ground and cause a high speed impact force on the runway at such a high rate it doesn't register on the "stress" bar.  Further reitterating the "they aren't interacting with the ground properly.

So far i've tried a lot of alternatives, wider spacing, no offsetting, angling, and the only successful test was the drop.

I guess the good news is if you can land your jets vertically or at lower than 20m/s there is "no bug"

Again, the wheels are a WIP, and it does seem like the runway and pad (especially the pad) got a bit more fragile in 1.1.

Yea I know, I'm doing tests to find out exactly what makes em break instead of just blindly saying it breaks.

I've also noticed the sideways motion of the gear is like riding on ice... so that's fun and craft like to spin without any input.

XnOBJgA.jpg

Is anyone else having this problem? I was trying to check some settings out and the next thing I know, my plane shoots off the screen - again! When I recenter the screen on the aircraft, it will off-center the craft and it really gets tricky to control. 

3 minutes ago, Znath said:

I've also noticed the sideways motion of the gear is like riding on ice... so that's fun and craft like to spin without any input.

Allegedly that spinning is a thing with real cars. Try pointing the front wheels inward by 1° or 2° to subject any slight deviations from straight-ahead to negative feedback.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toe_(automotive)

3 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

XnOBJgA.jpg

Is anyone else having this problem? I was trying to check some settings out and the next thing I know, my plane shoots off the screen - again! When I recenter the screen on the aircraft, it will off-center the craft and it really gets tricky to control. 

Can you eliminate mods as being the problem 100% for sure? I keep trying to tell people that.

2 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Allegedly that spinning is a thing with real cars. Try pointing the front wheels inward by 1° or 2° to subject any slight deviations from straight-ahead to negative feedback.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toe_(automotive)

It feels like they are going to have to make a tutorial or some kind of guide (more likely some player will make one) to how to manage the new wheel system because it's totally different and more complex than we're used to.

1 minute ago, smjjames said:

Can you eliminate mods as being the problem 100% for sure? I keep trying to tell people that.

Right now I am running two separate versions of 1.1 - with and without mods. While there are mods used on this craft (LLL STX - for the antenna, zzz_flags for the flag on wings and fuselage, and depreciated parts for the old Mk1 cockpit), I recreated the same (or as close as I could get) in the vanilla - and both have the same results. The craft flies out of the center of the field of vision when flying. It happens as I either steeply pull up or bank sharp...

Just now, adsii1970 said:

Right now I am running two separate versions of 1.1 - with and without mods. While there are mods used on this craft (LLL STX - for the antenna, zzz_flags for the flag on wings and fuselage, and depreciated parts for the old Mk1 cockpit), I recreated the same (or as close as I could get) in the vanilla - and both have the same results. The craft flies out of the center of the field of vision when flying. It happens as I either steeply pull up or bank sharp...

Allright, fair enough. Sorry for yelling at you like that. Well, not yelling, but more the slightly exasperated tone.

I have no idea on that since I don't typically fly planes, however, I may have seen a bug report or two on something similar to what you are seeing.

I shouldn't have to camber the wheels on a 50 ton vehicle to prevent it from spinning wildly out of control at 40mph.....

The problem also causes the vehicle to slide sideways without any input on flat terrain.

Just now, smjjames said:

Allright, fair enough. Sorry for yelling at you like that. Well, not yelling, but more the slightly exasperated tone.

I have no idea on that since I don't typically fly planes, however, I may have seen a bug report or two on something similar to what you are seeing.

I understand totally and didn't take any offense to it at all. Long before I mentioned it, I sorta put the game through the paces. In the vanilla game, I made some overpowered rockets and aircraft to see if I could repeat the same problem - it does not exist for rockets AT ALL. However, it does happen with aircraft. The faster the craft flies, the worse the offset gets. It does give a pretty cool effect when you do a hard banking turn...

In the modded game, I tried the same thing with the same results. I have not tested rovers or watercraft...

1 hour ago, smjjames said:

Again, the wheels are a WIP, and it does seem like the runway and pad (especially the pad) got a bit more fragile in 1.1.

All right, no hate meant, just valid frustration:

THE WHEELS ARE WIP? IF THE WHEELS WEREN'T FINISHED THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE RELEASED THE GAME. COME ON!!!!

Ok, Caps-Lock time is over, bye, all.

Music in my KSP has been all over the map, has been for a long time.  Tracks pop in and out during scene changes, at random volumes.  I've just stopped listening. Given that much (all?) of the music is open and availible (legally), It's probably easier to mute the in-game music and play it via any number of media players.

Just now, Andem said:

All right, no hate meant, just valid frustration:

THE WHEELS ARE WIP? IF THE WHEELS WEREN'T FINISHED THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE RELEASED THE GAME. COME ON!!!!

Ok, Caps-Lock time is over, bye, all.

The tl;dr answer to that is: The wheels are deceptively complex and turned out to be more complex than the devs thought they were.

But hey, I too wish they would have taken another week to try and sort things out better, but that's not what happened.

I'm not certain, but I don't think anyone's enjoying this update quite as much as my Wildcat here...

There's zero control input going on there, it's solely a gear suspension issue. Who knew we'd get the Wildcat Boogie?

7 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

KSP has sound?

(Sorry, couldn't resist a recurring meme from another part of space.)

KSP also has engine trails, at least in lower atmosphere :wink: (I know what you played last summer)

Hi, i played alot in 1.1 Pre Release and never had this issue (I had issues, but not this one).

Theres now a MASSIVE stutter in the VAB and SPH when moving around, clicking etc.  This occurs if theres one part or more, modded and unmodded.  Anyone else experiencing this?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.