The Grand KSP 1.1 Discussion Thread

KasperVld

Just now, DebatedNothing said:

Same here man, been at it since Alpha. Still miss the old textures and explosions. The way they remained for so long really added to the effect of a huge spacecraft explosions because the separate clouds stayed around long enough to "stack" and build up to a larger one, whereas now the effects are too short to really overlap and seem to add up. Anyway, rose tinted glasses removed.

It's much easier to see now what's happening tho, and the game does look a lot better.^^

1 hour ago, KasperVld said:

We're working on the store not giving out a 64 bit version of KSP on Windows. It's complicated, but we should be able to resolve it shortly :)

Oh, the irony.... Hehe... that's what happens when you do a pre-release but leave out Store customers I guess! I hope Patcher works, or we'll all be downloading it twice after all - so much for saving bandwidth.

Edited by Waz

21 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

I am surprised the UI was not fixed before release as it is part of the announced upgrades.. It is impossible to read when rescaled.

Right! And this was one of the early things that got pointed out in the pre-release (day 1 of pre-release testing IIRC).  

3 minutes ago, smjjames said:

Yeah, you'd think they would do some polishing before release. But no, they needed to release because they got themselves stuck with an appointment with Das and things were taking longer than they thought. Plus the steam thing.

Nothing against Das of course since he's not the one who chose to release at this time.

But at least they got the wheels and struts to a point where it's manageable.

oh is that why. Really don't think it is anything like ready yet, this is pretty disappointing really.
Encountered several apparently new bugs already, and that problem with the clipped wheels which seemed to be solved a couple builds ago is back (the tolerance for how clipped they can be has increased again). This is once again too much clipping for a TR-2L
ACYRmKd.jpg

on a positive note, couple things I've noticed;
- the CPU heating issues while in the editors seem to be better (still higher CPU usage in editors compared to inflight)
- there's a "retain control point on enter IVA" option in settings that I'd not noticed before - nice!

1 minute ago, EliasDanger said:

You think a perfect bug free version of KSP will ever exist?

"perfect bug free" doesn't exist in software, but I was hoping for a much more polished release of 1.1.  

3 minutes ago, Temeter said:

It's much easier to see now what's happening tho, and the game does look a lot better.^^

Yeah, I'm sure if I went back and played an alpha version I'd see around my rose tinted glasses, but it's hard to not look back on the versions I sank hundreds/thousands of hours into with fondness.

Yeah, I'm sure if I went back and played an alpha version I'd see around my rose tinted glasses, but it's hard to not look back on the versions I sank hundreds/thousands of hours into with fondness.

Giant, towering pancakes, only being held together by a very questionable physics engine and a million struts....

2 minutes ago, Commander Jebidiah said:

Back on the frame rate improvements, Rovers and planes have higher FPS, I dont think the ingame counter works properly

Try a 4k+ part craft, I dare you :D

Edited by smjjames

Just a note, the KSP Installer exe on the Store page does not contain 64-bit, however the zip file does.

I downloaded them both at the same time, though I don't know if it's changed in the 30 minutes since I did.

Edited by Phoenix84

Just now, Commander Jebidiah said:

No... In 1.0.5 a 2 part craft lags the game to 1 game second = 2 real seconds. 

In 1.1 its better but I wont go above 60 till Im sure there is higher FPS.

Are you using the 64bit exe?

Though if you get that bad FPS in 1.0.5, your computer must be sucky, I feel sorry for you :(

Just now, smjjames said:

Are you using the 64bit exe?

Though if you get that bad FPS in 1.0.5, your computer must be sucky, I feel sorry for you :(

Its a laptop, Im using the 32bit the now as when I downloaded it that was all but 64bit will be downloaded when i go to bed. slow internet. FPS in 1.0.5 in flight 8.33, 1.1 in flight 8.33, im a little confused as I can see 1.1 is running at a higher framerate. Editor in 1.0.5 was definitely less laggy.

3 minutes ago, Commander Jebidiah said:

Its a laptop, Im using the 32bit the now as when I downloaded it that was all but 64bit will be downloaded when i go to bed. slow internet. FPS in 1.0.5 in flight 8.33, 1.1 in flight 8.33, im a little confused as I can see 1.1 is running at a higher framerate. Editor in 1.0.5 was definitely less laggy.

It's going to vary a lot by the computer system, no two people will have the absolute exact same experience (unless they're using the same computer obviously).

I'd probably do a cache check if you're doing it from steam. Otherwise try a complete uninstall and reinstall?

Edited by smjjames

1 minute ago, smjjames said:

It's going to vary a lot by the computer system, no two people will have the absolute exact same experience (unless they're using the same computer obviously).

I'd probably do a cache check if you're doing it from steam. Otherwise try a complete uninstall and reinstall?

As I say Im downloading x64 tonight. I wish Squad would update the recommended specs which are atleast 3 years old. I have better stats and it runs like a sloth. Also wheels are a pain, continuously blocked when nothing is blocking them.

There is an UI rescale option.

Read back a bit and you'll see my problems with UI scaling <100% text is too blurry to read, for everyone, 100% or more and the navball is too big.

Yeah, they had to do something with the wheel clipping because otherwise things got really krakeney.

I can see loads of people registering it as a bug and also complaining since SQUAD didn't mention it at release. Well, they did in the changelog for the 1.1 pre-release, but who reads changelogs?

Also, you should ask about the performance problems in the technical support section, some people might be able to help you there.

Edited by smjjames

I have been a long time owner and supporter of KSP since its creation waaaaaay back :) I have been enjoying this game regularly and I must say that I am very happy with it. The only issue I have ever had was the laaaaaag lol more parts meant more laaaaaaaag lol. Anyway I am very much looking forward to this update and will be checking it out in a very short few minutes after my update finishes. 

the other thing I wanted to mention is that I have had nothing but positive experiences with Squad! From dealing with technical issues and questions to always looking forward to the new updates because they are never to far apart and always worth the wait and time to get! I am very happy with this program and looking forward to more updates, more parts and more fun! 

Its funny for a quy who can fly aircraft sims like a pro I sure can't do docking or other flight planning very well in KSP. Some of us are just morons when it comes to the flight aspect. I won't know for a little bit if that is any easier to plan out in teh 1.1 update but if not you think you can come up with an easier planning option in game to help with that? Just a thought would be really nice to see happen. 

Oh ya and I know you guys meant for it to be a one solar system game but is it at all possible that perhaps you can add perhaps one more solar system just a little further away or some more distant planets and moons uh I mean muns? I love the challenge so having more places to visit would make the game even more fun. 

Great job guys and keep up the great work!!

Yeah, they had to do something with the wheel clipping because otherwise things got really krakeney.

I can see loads of people registering it as a bug and also complaining since SQUAD didn't mention it at release. Well, they did in the changelog for the 1.1 pre-release, but who reads changelogs?

Also, you should ask about the performance problems in the technical support section, some people might be able to help you there.

Performance problems are my !aptop is a pile of *censorship*. Wheels are a pain.

I have a giant UI, which is sorta nice, but other text, in the Esc menu is so tiny I can barely read it.

Wheels and suspension so far seems to be fun. Electric ground vehicles can go over 30 m/s on level ground, but they cannot climb hills at all.

Flying seems relatively unchanged, but takeoffs and landings are trickier due to landing gear changes.

Havent got to space yet.

25 minutes ago, Temeter said:

Giant, towering pancakes, only being held together by a very questionable physics engine and a million struts....

Remember the yellow bit that stuck out of the side of launch tower that would always clip your rockets? Good times haha.

Remember the yellow bit that stuck out of the side of launch tower that would always clip your rockets? Good times haha.

At times the whole tower spawned inside my rocket.:D

I've just noticed that you can navigate around the interiors by double clicking? Has this been something for ages?

For example i had a MK 2 crew cabin connected to a mk 2 cockpit (not the nose cone one). 

When i IVA'd in the crew cabin and double clicked the connecting hatch it jumped to what i can only describe as the galley of the cockpit, i could then double click around the galley and then up to the cockpit where you'd get the normal cockpit IVA.

I really hope this is something thats gone unnoticed and im not getting excited about a feature thats been implemented ages ago.

2 minutes ago, Squeaky said:

I've just noticed that you can navigate around the interiors by double clicking? Has this been something for ages?

For example i had a MK 2 crew cabin connected to a mk 2 cockpit (not the nose cone one). 

When i IVA'd in the crew cabin and double clicked the connecting hatch it jumped to what i can only describe as the galley of the cockpit, i could then double click around the galley and then up to the cockpit where you'd get the normal cockpit IVA.

I really hope this is something thats gone unnoticed and im not getting excited about a feature thats been implemented ages ago.

It was already in 1.0.5.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.