Huge loss of performances since 1.1

Hello.

I played KSP for 3 years, and had no problem at all with performances (except when trying to make a 500 parts ship, but that was expected).

Until now.

The very infamous long awaited 1.1 version is a huge pain for me.

Now I can barely play it for half an hour, and then my fan goes crazy like if I were asking him to run The Witcher 3 in ultra, I experiment freezes and big frame drop.

I tried to lower the graphic settings (which I SOULD NOT HAVE TO DO with a GTX 970M), but the results are the same.

I don't know what's going on, but PLEASE do something ASAP. I can't play my game anymore.

Thanks for reading.

Though it sounds most likely to be the common "my laptop isn't using the dedicated GPU for the 64bit version of KSP 1.1" issue.

If this is the case then the logs should show it using an integrated GPU (e.g. an Intel HD) instead of your NVidia one.  You should be able to change your video card configuration to always use the NVidia card for KSP_x64.exe.  There are links to more info in the following thread:

It is also possible that the extra stress on the integrated video could be causing the CPU to overheat after a while and thermal throttle.  Or it could be the issue seen during the pre-release where an 8 core CPU suddenly starts using all 8 cores for no apparent reason.  Or it could, like you imply, be something that might actually show up in the logs...

KSP seems indeed to be using my nvidia card.

I'm trying to reproduce the lag to get a log to send you, but even though my fan still run crazy I've not been able to reproduce it yet.

It happened 3 times in a single day so this is why I've posted a topic.

Looks like a temperature problem.

You're using a laptop, and since physic calculations are done on all the cores of your processor now, its not a surprise to see an increase in temperature in your processor.

Clean up the fans and make sure your processor isn't overheating (making it throttle down and resulting in bad fps).

(PS: Forgive me my bad English)

Edited by dueb

• 3 weeks later...

I am also experiencing this issue. I have a desktop with a GTX 970 card, quad core processor, windows 7, and I was running KSP pretty well all along until right after I installed 1.1 today. I tried restarting my computer and clearing some memory but it didn't help. The game starts to overheat my computer about as soon as I load a save file, even just idling at the space center or in the VAB with no craft loaded will cause the fan to spin up like a jet engine prepping for takeoff. The task manager shows me that all 4 cores are running at about a 60% average at all times while the game is loaded, even though they are pretty much idle with the game off--when I'm not running Mozilla Firefox that is. Closing Firefox does not help the game run any better, and I can't see any reason it would run all 4 cores at 60% when I'm doing nothing.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 5/12/2016, 17:32:52
       Machine name: CARBATTERY
   Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.150202-1526)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
       System Model: Precision WorkStation T3500  
               BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A07
          Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           W3520  @ 2.67GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
             Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16382MB RAM
          Page File: 4832MB used, 44315MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
      Display Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
          Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D:    0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
          Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
       Manufacturer: NVIDIA
          Chip type: GeForce GTX 970
           DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
         Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13C2&SUBSYS_367A1458&REV_A1
     Display Memory: 4095 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 3072 MB
      Shared Memory: 1023 MB
       Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
       Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
      Monitor Model: unknown
         Monitor Id: PTS06A5
        Native Mode: 1280 x 1024(p) (60.020Hz)
        Output Type: HD15
        Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 10.18.0013.5582 (English)
     Driver Version: 10.18.13.5582
        DDI Version: 11
       Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
  Driver Attributes: Final Retail
   Driver Date/Size: 8/25/2015 11:46:21, 15512888 bytes
        WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
  Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-5082-11CF-2662-77161CC2C735}
          Vendor ID: 0x10DE
          Device ID: 0x13C2
          SubSys ID: 0x367A1458
        Revision ID: 0x00A1
 Driver Strong Name: oem15.inf:NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1:Section032:10.18.13.5582:pci\ven_10de&dev_13c2
     Rank Of Driver: 00E62001

Edited by thereaverofdarkness2

I would say its not that much heat issue, its rampart memory leakage all over the place?!  From 1.1+ FPS over all are considerable better, makes me so happy. But there is something happening with memory, assets loading in game, vab menu changing, right click on parts, its slower, depend on situation but there is some kind of lag now. Regardless of having 50+ mods, etc, there is slowdown compared to 1.05.     

The VAB is known to cause oddly increased CPU usage over other scenes, 60% on a quad core being about expected.  I would recommend running a CPU temperature monitoring program to see what sort of temps you are getting as you may have poor contact between your CPU and heatsink.

17 hours ago, sal_vager said:

@thereaverofdarkness2. your graphics driver is out of date, you can find the latest here.

I already installed the latest one shortly after I made that post, and it didn't have any effect.

On the NVidia Experience panel I was able to pull up a page for KSP which showed the recommended settings for my rig. They appeared to have settings from before the 1.1 update but it only told me to turn them higher than I had them, in some cases higher than the new UI will allow. It recommended 64 shadow cascades, for instance, while it only goes up to 8, and apparently due to some other change, even at zero shadow cascades the shadows look excellent and sharp.

I checked my CPU core temperatures over several minutes and sitting idle in the VAB they were all 4 running yellow at ~80-90ºC. When I built a very basic craft using no more than a dozen or so parts, the fan spun up even higher and the temperatures rose past 90, getting close to 100.

Maybe there is some issue with the heat sink, but it can't be that bad because no other program does this to my computer, including KSP before 1.1. The only thing that even came close is the Minecraft forums which are phenomenally poorly constructed and cause my CPU to spin up to high numbers to load nothing but junk graphics that are not only excessive for a forum but also should load far more easily. They don't know how to write code. But there are no games I play that stress the processor. Minecraft, WoW, Path of Exile, EVE Online, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Wildstar, Starmade--all these games run fine at high settings. You might say that these aren't the most graphically intensive games out there, but I would say neither is KSP. I have a copy of Metal Gear Solid 5 I haven't installed yet, maybe I should try running that and see what this rig can handle?

edit: Actually I don't have a copy of MGS V because NVidia doesn't want to deliver on their promises. Yet another reason I don't like to deal with the triple-A developers.

Edited by thereaverofdarkness2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.