Severe Shadow artifacts in 1.1

apLundell

I'm loving the new UI, and the performance increases are great too.  (Much appreciated when docking with overly complex space stations!)

However, the self-shadowing on the space-ships is flickering like crazy. It's driving me mad.   Looking at it closely it seems like parts of the shadows are coming apart at the edges of meshes and sliding around randomly (bad UVs?).  I've tried all the different "Shadow Cascades" settings with no results.

(As a possibly related hint : Building shadows on the ground seem to disappear in space-center mode if I zoom in on them. Like they're clipping out too soon.)

Is anyone else seeing this?   Has anyone discovered a fix? It would make me sad, but as a temporary solution, I'd be interested in a way to turn off shadows entirely.

I've got a "Geforce GTX 760", driver version 361.43

Thanks!

-Andy

Just now, apLundell said:

I'm loving the new UI, and the performance increases are great too.  (Much appreciated when docking with overly complex space stations!)

However, the self-shadowing on the space-ships is flickering like crazy. It's driving me mad.   Looking at it closely it seems like parts of the shadows are coming apart at the edges of meshes and sliding around randomly (bad UVs?).  I've tried all the different "Shadow Cascades" settings with no results.

(As a possibly related hint : Building shadows on the ground seem to disappear in space-center mode if I zoom in on them. Like they're clipping out too soon.)

Is anyone else seeing this?   Has anyone discovered a fix? It would make me sad, but as a temporary solution, I'd be interested in a way to turn off shadows entirely.

I've got a "Geforce GTX 760", driver version 361.43

Thanks!

-Andy

Yes I see this too, everyone does. There must be a bug report somewhere about it because it looks horrible.

2 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Yes I see this too, everyone does. There must be a bug report somewhere about it because it looks horrible.

Oh, do they?  I didn't notice a thread about it.

Well, that's too bad, but I'm glad I'm not the only one.   

-Andy

Yes. Sorry that it's driving you mad, but making the shadows pretty is low priority compared to many of the other bugs that the devs are working on. But I am pretty sure a fix for the shadows will be in the hotpatch when it comes.

I've been seeing some strange black 'covering' over light sources, like the water tower by the launchpad.  But I haven't taken the time to prove it's not a mod doing it (maybe EVE).  Is that what you are talking about?

yep, I got them too!  You're not the only one!...  I got the same GPU as you also.  that flickering is also driving me crazy!!!   the only way I found to remove it was to lower the render quality to the lowest.. then no more shadows either :-( 

But, other than that It's pretty awsome!  hehe  

The only issue with shadows I've noticed so far is that (at least with my settings and mods) my craft has none, and the ice caps of Kerbin are appallingly white. I was trying to land earlier and this is what it looked like for me:

Spoiler

0b9nzX4.png

If you focus really hard to the front of the right wing you can almost see a different color.

Looks like I landed on the friggin' sun.

However it might be a mod-related issue, so I don't feel like officially reporting it until I investigate further.

30 minutes ago, Pagantek said:

I had the flickers really bad, but used -force-glcore as a launch option, and that did wonders! I looked at all of my stations and no more flickering.  This forces OpenGL mode and it seems to handle the shadows much better.

Care to post a comparesen video or pics?

Ugh, i started making a comparison video and not I can't get it to flicker in directx mode.  Sigh.  I get bugs that I don't want but can't get the bugs that I do want. I didn't make the second half, as I could not get it to flicker.

Edited by Pagantek
spelling

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.