What will life be like on colonies in the solar system.

daniel l.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, NSEP said:

How about reproduction? Children who were born on for example the Moon, could not walk on other bodies like Mars and the Earth, because their bones would crush. That is sad, just sad.

Most bodies in the solar system have low gravity, A Lunar born person would feel at home on Titan or Ganymede. As for mercury or mars... They would feel very heavy but could survive it. Earth of course is another story :)

9 hours ago, Emperor of the Titan Squid said:

Yay! I like it!:):prograde:! Have you heard of the Atomic rockets website? It might be very useful to you. Also, does Saturn have a mobile infantry, like in Heinlein's Starship Troopers?  

Yes i think it would. :wink:

------------------------------------------

By the way... I have been using stock images for a long time. It's always difficult trying to find an image that fits my needs. Sometimes i have to make one myself. But my skills in the sector are limited and I've been really worried about infringing on someones copyright. Is there anyone here who is really good at illustrating complex space art?

Edited by daniel l.

1 hour ago, daniel l. said:

Most bodies in the solar system have low gravity, A Lunar born person would feel at home on Titan or Ganymede. As for mercury or mars... They would feel very heavy but could survive it. Earth of course is another story :)

And what of the numerous O'Neill cylinders which replicate 1g? (btw, if you don't want them in your story, you'd need to come up with some reason)

3 hours ago, NSEP said:

How about reproduction? Children who were born on for example the Moon, could not walk on other bodies like Mars and the Earth, because their bones would crush. That is sad, just sad.

Easy: centrifuge cities. Okay, not easy, but you could build a city on the planet or moon with a centrifuge that has a slightly angled floor.

3 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

And what of the numerous O'Neill cylinders which replicate 1g? (btw, if you don't want them in your story, you'd need to come up with some reason)

Easy: centrifuge cities. Okay, not easy, but you could build a city on the planet or moon with a centrifuge that has a slightly angled floor.

Centrifuge cities full of pregnant women? Is that what you are talking about!?

Ok, seriously, i thought a bit about that too, it is probably the only way other than to make Mars kids Mars kids. Centrifuge hospitals sounds about right.

Just now, NSEP said:

Ok, seriously, i thought a bit about that too, it is probably the only way other than to make Mars kids Mars kids. Centrifuge hospitals sounds about right.

I was thinking more along the lines of entire cities.

32 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

They exist. The smaller moons of Saturn and Uranus and Neptune, All use spinning centrifuges for artificial gravity within the cities, The larger ones dont. They are also common within the Kuiper-Belt.

25 minutes ago, NSEP said:

There are i would assume orbital Maternity hospital's where pregnant women can live during pregnancy to ensure that their children have the physical structure to survive in higher G environments such as Earth or Mars.

That of course would be for colonists on places like Titan, Luna, Or Callisto, Where the gravity is too high for surface centrifuges but too low for natural reproduction to properly function. Places like Tethys or Enceladus would have artificial gravity.

Edited by daniel l.

• 1 month later...
On 17.10.2016 at 2:04 AM, daniel l. said:

That of course would be for colonists on places like Titan, Luna, Or Callisto, Where the gravity is too high for surface centrifuges

Zero-G is not necessary for a centrifugal habitat. Angle rules

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

So, this would auto-adjust to any g < 1.
(And there's no solid surface in the Solar System with g > 1. So everywhere at all).

For comparison:

Spoiler

Centrifugal_governor.png

Of course, this critically needs a powerful energy source. For rotation itself and for magnetic suspension, to exclude any occurence of word "friction".

Edited by kerbiloid

Now that i think anyone who was interested has had enough time to read my new short story... I would like to know what everybody thinks of it. My writing skills have come a long way since i first started. I wanna see what people think.

14 hours ago, daniel l. said:

Now that i think anyone who was interested has had enough time to read my new short story... I would like to know what everybody thinks of it. My writing skills have come a long way since i first started. I wanna see what people think.

Here's what I have to say: Ok, this is nice. Wait what? (reads last sentence again.) DUN DUN DUNNNNN!!:0.0:

How do they manage to walk around on Uranus? isn't the gravity higher? Or is Uranus not very dense? Also, do the computers have a neural networked "Strong AI?"

2 hours ago, Emperor of the Titan Squid said:

How do they manage to walk around on Uranus? isn't the gravity higher? Or is Uranus not very dense? Also, do the computers have a neural networked "Strong AI?"

Uranus actually has lower gravity then earth. :)

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.