landing gear issues 1.1.2

maybach123

My landing gear keep breaking because they are over stressed even when i come down at .5m/s. I cant tell if this is a bug in the game or if this is a new adjustment setting in ksp. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If you're referring to plane/spaceplane landing gear than I believe it may be an issue of weight-bearing capacity.  Not sure what landing gear you're using, but some of my heavier fighter planes like my Su-35 and F-15-sized aircraft had to have their main landing gear upgraded one notch.  As I pulled back on the stick, the rear tailplanes pushed the tail down, which initially compressed the rear landing gear, causing them to fail if I pulled the nose up aggressively enough.  Since upgrading the the gear, haven't had any issues.

3 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

If you're referring to plane/spaceplane landing gear than I believe it may be an issue of weight-bearing capacity.  Not sure what landing gear you're using, but some of my heavier fighter planes like my Su-35 and F-15-sized aircraft had to have their main landing gear upgraded one notch.  As I pulled back on the stick, the rear tailplanes pushed the tail down, which initially compressed the rear landing gear, causing them to fail if I pulled the nose up aggressively enough.  Since upgrading the the gear, haven't had any issues.

sorry meant landing strut 

3 minutes ago, maybach123 said:

sorry meant landing strut 

Landing Legs.  I was referring to landing gear too, I'm not aware of issues with over-stressing landing legs, unless you really are over-stressing them in which case use bigger legs or a lighter craft.

1 minute ago, Alshain said:

Landing Legs.  I was referring to landing gear too, I'm not aware of issues with over-stressing landing legs, unless you really are over-stressing them in which case use bigger legs or a lighter craft.

Im not sure how i would be over stressing them it has happened every time (with different craft and legs) and i am consistently under 1m/s.

For now KSP is mostly S because interactions with terrain are super buggy.

I've tried a lot to compensate for the weakness with extra bracing but it doesn't seem to help a lot.  So I guess it's waiting for 1.1.2.1?

1 hour ago, Alshain said:

It's a well documented issue.

Could you please tell me where to look up the discussion? I can't seem to find it in any of the obvious places, and I'm having trouble working around it on my own. Or maybe I'm having a different sort of bug, but I can't seem to get down the runway anymore.

1 hour ago, herbal space program said:

Could you please tell me where to look up the discussion? I can't seem to find it in any of the obvious places, and I'm having trouble working around it on my own. Or maybe I'm having a different sort of bug, but I can't seem to get down the runway anymore.

Read on, I was talking about landing gear, not legs.

Was a bit worried when I designed my latest lander since I've been reading all the horror stories about bugged/broken landing struts.

But 4x LT-2 on a 17.5 ton lander had no issues landing on the mün.

Even if one hilariously enough exploded when a clumsy Kerbal on EVA managed to walk into it :wink:

6 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

Was a bit worried when I designed my latest lander since I've been reading all the horror stories about bugged/broken landing struts.

But 4x LT-2 on a 17.5 ton lander had no issues landing on the mün.

Even if one hilariously enough exploded when a clumsy Kerbal on EVA managed to walk into it :wink:

Yeah had this happen too. I haven't had any other landing leg issues in 1.1.2 though. 

My questions to the OP would be are you certain you are running 1.1.2 and are you running any mods. 

I'm having trouble with the fixed landing gears (LY-01 Fixed gear, earliest tech node) as well. I can not possibly even get a plane in the air with them, the craft would swing from left to right and so on. I guess what @regex said is the reason for this. I made some work-around by also adding a pair of LY05 gear at the back, which at least lets me take off and land with high caution. Another thing was adding a strut from the wheelbase to the body of the craft, but it was not as stable as the previous fix.

So I guess the biggest issue is not the landing gear itself, but the expectations. I mean, I unlocked only a couple of plane parts in the first aviation node. I still have my hangar at tier 1 so i can only use 30 parts at maximum. I only have four of the mk0 fuel tanks on the craft, the rest is very light-weight. So I expected the provided early tech landing gear can handle whatever I can throw together with all these (light-weight) parts. Obviously, this is a wrong assumption that remained from my previous career creations where the fixed landing gears would do the job.

Edited by moppaking

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.