Found someone who thinks KSP is part of a grand conspiracy

SmartS=true

3 minutes ago, TrHollywood said:

Many psychologists believe that when a person looks up to their right they are likely to be telling a lie. Glancing up to the left, on the other hand, is said to indicate honesty.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/myth-busted-looking-left-or-right-doesnt-indicate-if-youre-lying-1922058/?no-ist

3 minutes ago, Kepler68 said:

The government dosent control ksp, it's the other way around :wink: 

*I* control ksp, I use a keyboard

heuheuhueheuhueheueheu

Who am I kidding, KSP controls me too.

On 5/17/2016 at 11:39 PM, Camacha said:

It seems a lot of these people have some underlying medical condition. As long as they are not dangerous for others, they often go without treatment, until the whole thing escalates. It is a side effect of having a civilized society that frowns upon forced treatment of its members when it is not absolutely necessary.

"[misquoting] If he's sick let's help him, but first lets get him off the internet."

3 hours ago, TrHollywood said:

Many psychologists believe that when a person looks up to their right they are likely to be telling a lie. Glancing up to the left, on the other hand, is said to indicate honesty.

Many children believe if they step on crack it will break their mama's back too. But in the children's case is really just wishful thinking.  Those children while having worrisome impulses, are much smarter than those psychologists.

8 hours ago, Kepler68 said:

The government dosent control ksp, it's the other way around :wink: 

47 minutes ago, insert_name said:

I wish that were true 

Me too.....They'd be light years ahead of our own knuckle-dragging crop, and non-residency hasn't stopped anyone running THIS election....      KERMAN FOR PRESIDENT!  ("Which one?"     "Who cares??")

8 hours ago, Crystal_Mace said:

"[misquoting] If he's sick let's help him, but first lets get him off the internet."

I am not sure we can do anything to help him, but encouraging these kinds of people is not helpful for sure.

22 hours ago, SmartS=true said:

You have a point, but will a hundred people clicking a link and not liking the video give him that much more attention? I'd understand if it was on a larger website or one with people who would be likely to subscribe to him, but a link on a video game forum?

Do not underestimate the reach this forum. It pops up in a lot of searches regarding space and science related matters.

On May 9, 2016 at 8:11 PM, SmartS=true said:

Oh god the stupid...

He thinks that KSP is an evil plot by Elon Musk to get people to believe in the barge landings SpaceX is doing. And he has 800 subscribers. 

The video does contain some mildly offensive material, but the link starts the video after that. He is so misinformed that he thinks KSP is free and uses this as "evidence" that it is paid for by the government. I'm fairly sure this doesn't violate the rules, but please lock this if it does.

Is this guy sitting on the can while making a video? The only thing i didn't see was his bong. 

Elon Musk is my avatar . . . . . . . . . . .I use my blue beam to create him, he does my bidding, i make his rockets work in space, i make capensis defy gravity, i hoard plutonium and nuggets of truth. 

Can i have my prize back?

Seriously people:
dont_feed_the_trolls1.jpg

If this character has a valid theory, I'll expect to see some peer-reviewed research in a proper scientific journal real soon. Otherwise it's just one more delusional internet nutter to ignore, or outright trolling... Which is also best ignored. Remember, no training or qualifications are required to post a video on YouTube. Until this guy provides the extraordinary evidence required to back up his extraordinary claims, they are simply noise.

Conspiracy nuts are generally not worth arguing with, as they will discard any evidence that does not fit their theories, often with vacuous remarks like "But that's what they want you to think". You cannot fight cognitive bias with logic, most of these people are so entrenched in their anti-establishment position that any attempt to reference verifiable science automatically makes you the enemy.
If you do argue with them they will attempt to drag you down to their barely-coherent level of logical reasoning, and bystanders may have difficulty deciding who is more crazy.

2 hours ago, PB666 said:

The only thing i didn't see was his bong.

Something far stronger involved here, methinks.

---

On 17/05/2016 at 5:16 AM, Matuchkin said:

EDIT: By arguing, I mean stuffing reason into their faces and seeing how they react, like this guy does.

Ta for the link, and subsequent link to Dr Stephen Laws “Believing repurposed bovine waste”, an entertaining and educational read.

Edited by steve_v
Oh man, this profanity filter is just ridiculous. Link to actual title.

10 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Seriously people:
dont_feed_the_trolls1.jpg

If this character has a valid theory, I'll expect to see some peer-reviewed research in a proper scientific journal real soon. Otherwise it's just one more delusional internet nutter to ignore, or outright trolling... Which is also best ignored. Remember, no training or qualifications are required to post a video on YouTube. Until this guy provides the extraordinary evidence required to back up his extraordinary claims, they are simply noise.

Conspiracy nuts are generally not worth arguing with, as they will discard any evidence that does not fit their theories, often with vacuous remarks like "But that's what they want you to think". You cannot fight cognitive bias with logic, most of these people are so entrenched in their anti-establishment position that any attempt to reference verifiable science automatically makes you the enemy.
If you do argue with them they will attempt to drag you down to their barely-coherent level of logical reasoning, and bystanders may have difficulty deciding who is more crazy.

Something far stronger involved here, methinks.

The juxt is not who follows but the emotional wake it creates. This is the typical empowerment of a netloon. You can findy many a hardy definition on the UseNet along with amendments and caveots. Before Al gore invented the internet so to speak, the framework of unmoderated thought was created, but free thought ultimately has no meaning without individual responsibility. It is important to remember that KSP cadets share their thoughts in a racous forum, but a moderated forum none the less. 

2 minutes ago, PB666 said:

The juxt is not who follows but the emotional wake it creates. This is the typical empowerment of a netloon. You can findy many a hardy definition on the UseNet along with amendments and caveots. Before Al gore invented the internet so to speak, the framework of unmoderated thought was created, but free thought ultimately has no meaning without individual responsibility. It is important to remember that KSP cadets share their thoughts in a racous forum, but a moderated forum none the less. 

I'm having a hard time parsing this TBH, but I think I'm in agreement. (?)

3 hours ago, steve_v said:

I'm having a hard time parsing this TBH, but I think I'm in agreement. (?)

Here's the original link 

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!search/Crackpot$20Baez/sci.math/-8aN_0sWjIo

the index differs in names and scale as you apply it to different fields. Mathematics and physics have thier on special rules, astronomy, anthropology, archaelogy, etc have thier own also.

Anyway, its a guide, if an individual post not made in sarcasm or satire starts pinging these they pretty much are going to stay. For the most parts kooks stay in unmoderated groups while the more respectable members tend to kove to moderated ones over time, not out of desired, but out of fatigue. 

The history here is that the usenet started out as a collective of nntp servers that mirrored posting IDs allowing the download and uploading without barriers to anyone who had access. Before the www people used something like a mail reading terminal on unix and later with windows for work groups. It had crazies but mostly folks at universites. The big split formed alot of groups by 1990 and this was followed by deja-vu making the usenet available to anyone who had a modem connection to an isp. The as 1994/95 with the simultaneous expansion of www, friendly browsers and windows 95 just about anyone who had heard of the usenet had access. In fact using readers like Forte agent it was easy to get content off the usenet versus the web because the content was unformated text. Consequently, if a sprite managed to get hold of a reader, he was relatively empowered. Very shortly thereafter google assumed deja-vu resulting in anarchy. 

Here to forth these indeces began appearing in many groups as a way of informing newcomers that these were not randomly denigrated individuals, but that there are general patterns of misbehavior that inflame discussion in groups. The usenet had a particular problem because it allowed virtually unlimited crossposting, so you really could stir the pot between free for all groups (e.g. Talk.origins), topic specific groups (religious and science). Eventually leading to filters which failed because the dupers found ways of circumventing them, and then the creation of moderated forums on yahoo and google. At the same time universities began dropping usenet access, the more conservative ISPs did so also, the grand experiment in freedom basically failed leaving a bunch of persistent sprites in the wake. 

The critical ingredient is that free thought, as championed by talk.origins, in a completely unregulated 'sharing' environment may also contain nefarious elements whose principle desire is to disrupt free thought by drawing individuals who can't possibly agree into flame wars. There is definitely an anarchistic element and you are not ever certain about an individuals motives by what they have posted. Do they actually believe what they are saying or are they simply feeding off of the wars. What people today are talking about in the news,mthe reckless power and danger in the internet is not really new, it is in fact 30 years old, older than the www itself. 

I watched a video on YouTube today where a guy used a Turbo charger on a car to prove rockets can't work in space.  The really terrifying thing is there are hundreds, if not  thousands of these flat earth idiots on YouTube.  I don't know why YouTube keeps recommending them to me, perhaps because I watch a lot of NASA stuff, but I always get "NASA LIES ABOUT ROUND EARTH" crap.  I think it's funny how they think it's NASA's round earth theory.

I got really depressed reading the comments... sigh.

7 minutes ago, Riftmann said:

I got really depressed reading the comments... sigh.

"Please talk to your doctor before reading youtube comments... youtube comments may cause depression, anger, frustration, homicidal thoughts and/or terror... youtube is not responsible for injuries relating to face-palming and/or face-dasking." 

Go into the YouTube comments of anything space-related, from a shuttle launch to a tour of the ISS...there's people like this all over the place.

As long as that guy isn't making videos on abusive and/or illegal subjects, I say leave him to it...he's too far in the deep end for any of us to do anything about it. If he legitimately thinks space is fake and all that, then I don't think YouTube comments from a bunch of strangers will change his mind. 

It doesn't matter if this sudden flood of views will spur him on to create more videos because, again, he's not making anything abusive and/or illegal. Just a bunch of uneducated conspiracy theories.

1 hour ago, yorshee said:

Go into the YouTube website comments of anything space-related, from a shuttle launch to a tour of the ISS...there's people like this all over the place.

FTFY. Depressing but true. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to add extra tinfoil to the edge of the world to stop NASA's fake moon beaming mind control rays at me.