Possible to add alternator (or generator) to non-engine parts?

I've read that you cant, becuase the alternator module needs to be tied to an engine module?

What I want to do is add electrical generation via alternator or generator, to an engine MOUNT (not an engine itself)... AND have it only produce while the attached engine(s) is actively producing thrust....

So if no n the alternator, then my question with the generator would be, how to have it only produce during engine thrust?

Yes, maybe, no?

Thanx!

Edited by Stone Blue

alternator needs engine, generator doesnt

if alternator is on a 2nd part (ie not the part with the engine) it will not work

you might be able to put a fake engine module, 0 thrust etc, basically mickeymouse it into working

other than that, think you'll need code

The big problem with adding an alternator to another part is how do you tell the alternator which engine to work with? If you find a sne way to solve that problem, it's relatively easy to inherit ModuleAlternator and with little work make it work with another engine. Just have to tell it which.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.