[1.12.x] The Malemute Rover

RoverDude

3 minutes ago, Kadrush said:

Shut up and take my money!!!

Oh, and please upload it on the ckan

On 5/22/2016 at 2:21 PM, RoverDude said:

It will be a very long wait.  CKAN is a low priority.  And IMO KSP-AVC is more reliable, CKAN is more than a bit flaky, and folks should understand how to install mods.

LAND-TRAIN!!!!!

(looks a tad like alaskan freightlines snow frieghter )

2012-12-18-1.jpg

Im on a bus right now but...

Ill be busy when I get home in 2 hours

Thankyou roverdude :)

ok, played with it for a while, shes a beautiful machine :) very graceful and powerful, also loving the wheels :)

any chance you could put another attachment node though on the wheel mountings? say on bottom not just either side so we can put an articulation point there?

but I know for 99.9999% of what people are going to use it for, it probably wont matter :)

Thanks for a really great rover. train or not shes going to get a long drive on weekend

Edited by Overland

@PART[Malemute_ExpandingDockingPort]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleConnectedLivingSpace
		passable = true
		passableWhenSurfaceAttached = true
	}
}
@PART[Malemute_RoverCab]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
	MODULE
	{
		passable = true
	}
}
@PART[Malemute_RoverCrewCab]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
	MODULE
	{
		passable = true
	}
}
@PART[Malemute_RoverDockModule]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
	MODULE
	{
		passable = true
		surfaceAttachmentsPassable = true
	}
}
@PART[Malemute_RoverScienceLab]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
	MODULE
	{
		passable = true
	}
}
@PART[Malemute_RoverTail]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
	MODULE
	{
		passable = true
	}
}
@PART[Malemute_RoverTankLong]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
	MODULE
	{
		passable = true
	}
}
@PART[Malemute_RoverTankShort]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
	MODULE
	{
		passable = true
	}
}

Connected Living Space config.

(Just saw there was already a Pull Request for this on Github, sorry. That one is a little more comprehensive. I just found myself needing one and threw it together).

Edited by Domfluff

Ill make a video tonight showing a comparison, but this rover vs something like the puma makes articulation difficult

When I connect any trailers with a free spinning docking washer they tend to overrun the locomotive and jackknife alot because the drawbars not mounted to the wheel steering system but rather a hitch on the wagon itself

There 2 different machines though, I understand this one was never ment to be a land train.. shes a beautiful well thought out machine that im sure is both very loved by those who drive her and appreciated in many different roles, some maybe not originally envisioned :)

The lack of a center mounted attachment node on the wheel mounts is whats making the difference with bring unstable when in land train mode

Ive discovered having a free turning docking washer bolted tothe drawbar makes superior stable articulation possible.. Much like an old stagecoach

IERu7z4.jpg

Could we maybe have an extra part with a center node on the wheel mountings to use with trailers this way?

I apologise for the lack of pictures .. On my bus to work at the moment but ill clean up the post tonight with videos and pictures

I dearly do think such a simple addition would have great benefits :)

Edited by Overland

1 hour ago, Overland said:

Ill make a video tonight showing a comparison, but this rover vs something like the puma makes articulation difficult

When I connect any trailers with a free spinning docking washer they tend to overrun the locomotive and jackknife alot because the drawbars not mounted to the wheel steering system but rather a hitch on the wagon itself

There 2 different machines though, I understand this one was never ment to be a land train.. shes a beautiful well thought out machine that im sure is both very loved by those who drive her and appreciated in many different roles, some maybe not originally envisioned :)

The lack of a center mounted attachment node on the wheel mounts is whats making the difference with bring unstable when in land train mode

Ive discovered having a free turning docking washer bolted tothe drawbar makes superior stable articulation possible.. Much like an old stagecoach

IERu7z4.jpg

Could we maybe have an extra part with a center node on the wheel mountings to use with trailers this way?

I apologise for the lack of pictures .. On my bus to work at the moment but ill clean up the post tonight with videos and pictures

I dearly do think such a simple addition would have great benefits :)

Clearly you don't subscribe to Roverdude's youtube channel.   :D He teased a WIP awhile ago, notice its actually Malemute rover parts

15 minutes ago, Rushligh said:

how the HELL did you get the wheels to work!!!!
what out packs do you have wheels for in 1.1.2 ?!?!?

also, pleeeaase help the people with Kerbal Foundaries~

Specifics help, as the wheels "work" fine.

Edited by goldenpsp

I put them on sidewards at first..eg suspension facing backwards..it didnt click until they just spun on the runway :) check to see if they are

Ohhh and good news on the couplings :) we need a proper overland train for the masses..beautiful 

2 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

I installed it and I do not have anything whatsoever. Any help? Am I only supposed to install a certain part of the folder, not the whole thing? 

Noob question. :P

copy the contents of gamedata from the zip into your gamedata folder.  the most common mistake is where you end up with \gamedata\gamedata\...

Otherwise take a screenshot of you gamedata folder and post here if you are confused.

21 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

copy the contents of gamedata from the zip into your gamedata folder.  the most common mistake is where you end up with \gamedata\gamedata\...

Otherwise take a screenshot of you gamedata folder and post here if you are confused.

Thanks. I've done that, however, I use a mac, if that is different, and, I copied the entire file into the game data folder. Should I do that?

9 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Thanks. I've done that, however, I use a mac, if that is different, and, I copied the entire file into the game data folder. Should I do that?

As a fellow Mac user - some versions of Mac OS merge a bit counter-intuitively, but that shouldn't be a problem for an initial install.  Also, Macs like to create an enclosing folder when you unzip if there isn't one already - some unzip programs don't do that.  But that's minor, and usually helpful not harmful - and RoverDude encloses things in a 'GameData' folder, so it doesn't come up.

However - you said 'entire file' - does that mean you didn't unzip it first?  Unzip, and you should have just created a 'GameData' folder.  You copy the contents of that that into the 'GameData' folder in your KSP install.  (If you can't find that, tell me what version of KSP you're running and where you got it - it's changed a bit on occasion.)  That's it.  Don't try to overcomplicate things.  :wink:

The other question I have is: 'Where are you looking?'  RoverDude creates his own categories for most of his parts, so they aren't in the normal categories.  And, of course, if you're in a play mode that requires unlocking parts you'll have to have unlocked them.

17 minutes ago, DStaal said:

As a fellow Mac user - some versions of Mac OS merge a bit counter-intuitively, but that shouldn't be a problem for an initial install.  Also, Macs like to create an enclosing folder when you unzip if there isn't one already - some unzip programs don't do that.  But that's minor, and usually helpful not harmful - and RoverDude encloses things in a 'GameData' folder, so it doesn't come up.

However - you said 'entire file' - does that mean you didn't unzip it first?  Unzip, and you should have just created a 'GameData' folder.  You copy the contents of that that into the 'GameData' folder in your KSP install.  (If you can't find that, tell me what version of KSP you're running and where you got it - it's changed a bit on occasion.)  That's it.  Don't try to overcomplicate things.  :wink:

The other question I have is: 'Where are you looking?'  RoverDude creates his own categories for most of his parts, so they aren't in the normal categories.  And, of course, if you're in a play mode that requires unlocking parts you'll have to have unlocked them.

I did unzip it. I use KSP 1.1.2 and I have looked throughout the entire ksp parts section. Thanks!

12 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

I did unzip it. I use KSP 1.1.2 and I have looked throughout the entire ksp parts section. Thanks!

Well then, a screenshot of your GameData folder would be our best troubleshooting tool.  (It's a lot easier to find under 1.1.2. :wink: )

2 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Well then, a screenshot of your GameData folder would be our best troubleshooting tool.  (It's a lot easier to find under 1.1.2. :wink: )

I'm not sure if that would help.

Let me think

Here. I'll take you through what I did step by step. 

1. I  downloaded the mod.

2. unzipped file

3. copied it into "game data" 

4. I do not have any parts. 

Hope this helps. :cool:

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

10 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

I'm not sure if that would help.

It would help.  Usually these types of problems can be solved in seconds with that - or it can take days of us questioning you carefully without.

1 minute ago, DStaal said:

It would help.  Usually these types of problems can be solved in seconds with that - or it can take days of us questioning you carefully without.

Installing KSP-AVC may also be needed to check versions and dependencies.

4 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

I have module manager. 

Module Manager is neither here, nor there.  That is a tool for applying patches to mods -- it does not check mod versions nor does it check for dependencies. Unless the Module Manager on Mac is significantly different then the ones on other platforms (I doubt this.)

7 minutes ago, mcortez said:

Module Manager is neither here, nor there.  That is a tool for applying patches to mods -- it does not check mod versions nor does it check for dependencies. Unless the Module Manager on Mac is significantly different then the ones on other platforms (I doubt this.)

Huh. In mine, it tells me when there is a new update on a mod.

1 minute ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Huh. In mine, it tells me when there is a new update on a mod.

Are you sure you are not referring to CKAN?  

Because: " ModuleManager is mod that let you write patch file that edit other part at load time. With is you can edit squad (and other mod) part without overwriting their file. " -- it does not manage Mods.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/50533-112-module-manager-2625-may-19th-where-the-singularity-started/

Now there could exist something that's different on a Mac that happens to have the same name...

Just now, mcortez said:

Are you sure you are not referring to CKAN?  

Because: " ModuleManager is mod that let you write patch file that edit other part at load time. With is you can edit squad (and other mod) part without overwriting their file. " -- it does not manage Mods.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/50533-112-module-manager-2625-may-19th-where-the-singularity-started/

Now there could exist something that's different on a Mac that happens to have the same name...

It might be. Oh well. I Got to go.

Maybe I'll figure it out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.