Why can't we dump ore in a pile for later refinement?

Shouldn't I be allowed to dump ore in a pile? Currently my tanks are full and so time is being wasted that could be used to drill for ore even though I can't process it right now. 

Ore is a liquid is why. Same reason you can't make a lake of LF to suck up later.

What you have is a logistics issue - get some transport shuttles stacked up for regular unloading, or expand the rig with more storage tanks.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

Sure you can dump ore in a pile for later use... as long as that pile is inside an ore storage tank. If your tanks are full, that means you need more tanks.

Actually, if your tanks are full, that means you need either fewer drills or more processors. If you have drills and processors on the same vessel, and you balance their numbers properly, you shouldn't need more than a single tiny radial ore tank.

15 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Ore is a liquid is why. Same reason you can't make a lake of LF to suck up later.

Blah, there goes my idea of visiting a cold far-away moon and refueling directly off the lakes of methane.

Edited by swjr-swis
linky

Random (but surprisingly typical) Kerbal thought: Gilly's gravitationally challenged condition might actually make an ore tank cannon/slingshot a viable way of putting excess ore into orbit.

Not entirely sure of the practical use of that, but then most of my actually built craft fall into that category as well.

This to me is an obvious (and very common for many of us) case of poor planning/not thinking ahead -  welcome to the challenges of space exploration.

Sometimes plans 'evolve' so the requirements change anyway. The best solution is to try to think ahead a bit, and at least have an idea how you could increase your storage capacity in the future, even if you do don't anticipate wanting or needing too.

(Sorry if this come's across as a smug put down, it's not intended that way.)

On June 1, 2016 at 10:41 PM, The_Rocketeer said:

What you have is a logistics issue - get some transport shuttles stacked up for regular unloading, or expand the rig with more storage tanks.

My solution is just put a probe core with wheels connected to an ore storage tank that has a claw attachment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.