I've got some cash- what Flight Sim to buy?

ZooNamedGames

6 minutes ago, Camacha said:

Stop begging for money and start saving it, that is all I can say. You will get more entertainment out of the games that you do have too.

Fine I'll keep it in mind but I'm after games not financial wisdom. 

2 hours ago, cantab said:

Maybe Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3, for a bit of a different experience? Old game now so hardware performance should not be an issue, though OS compatibility might be. The flight physics are the same as in FS2002.

This one is still my personal favorite, and did fine on my older computer, but I can't get it to run on Windows10  Grrrrr!!!!!!    :mad:

18 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I have a bit of money free, and I was wondering... what should I buy on Steam? I'd currently looking for a Aircraft Flight Sim that is realistic (aside from the obvious Microsoft Flight Sim) and also lightweight since my computer is weak (specs below). So any suggestions?

Computer Specs:

AMD E-300 APU with Radeon HD graphics 1.30GHz

8GB RAM (7.50 usable)

X-Plane, more up-to-date than FSX

14 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

X-Plane, more up-to-date than FSX

Well I'm hearing both, but as to internal controls and such I want the most realistic experience. I don't want it dumbed down any, I want to be able to flip all the switches and literally fly. Not KSP fly.

1 hour ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Well I'm hearing both, but as to internal controls and such I want the most realistic experience. I don't want it dumbed down any, I want to be able to flip all the switches and literally fly. Not KSP fly.

I've heard FSX is more realistic than X-Plane, but I've never played X-Plane so I don't know.

If you buy FSX from Steam, there's multiplayer. If you "acquire" it, though, it wont work.

Just now, Aperture Science said:

I've heard FSX is more realistic than X-Plane, but I've never played X-Plane so I don't know.

If you buy FSX from Steam, there's multiplayer. If you "acquire" it, though, it wont work.

hm ok.

As I understand it FSX models planes based on their known handling parameters. So if those parameters are right you get realistic flight, if they aren't you don't.

XPlane by contrast models planes based on their actual aerodynamic shape. That means it can accurately model the behaviour of even a hypothetical aircraft. But I think it can fall a little short on a well-known aircraft where there isn't the opportunity to fine-tune the in-game handling as much.

43 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I think I'm gonna get MFS... granted it eats a lot of memory, 30gs... jeesh.

That might be a whole library of multimedia files for tutorials and such, which you can easily delete after installation. From what I recall a stock install should be a few gigabytes at most (at least FS2004, I don't think FSX was that much bigger).

Of course, KSP pretty much pales in comparison to MSF when it comes to mods. There are hundreds of planes, instrument panels, airports, and even terrain (I have a set of 7 DVD's with terrain data). That will add up quickly. But it's all optional. Flightsim.com and Avsim.com are great places to find freeware planes, although if you really get into it, the payware addons are usually well worth the money. I've paid a magnitude more for my collection of planes and scenery than for FS itself, and felt it was more than worth it. That's why I'm personally not against the commercialization of mods on KSP (not that it will ever happen I think); think of the best mods you can think of right now, and then think "10× better." Because it works the other way around as well; if you're going to sell a mod for, say, $20, you'll have to make sure it's going to be worth it or nobody will buy.

8 minutes ago, Columbia said:

If FSX's too big, try FlightGear. It's free and open-source (I think.) 

Do you have a joystick?

I do.

45 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

That might be a whole library of multimedia files for tutorials and such, which you can easily delete after installation. From what I recall a stock install should be a few gigabytes at most (at least FS2004, I don't think FSX was that much bigger).

Of course, KSP pretty much pales in comparison to MSF when it comes to mods. There are hundreds of planes, instrument panels, airports, and even terrain (I have a set of 7 DVD's with terrain data). That will add up quickly. But it's all optional. Flightsim.com and Avsim.com are great places to find freeware planes, although if you really get into it, the payware addons are usually well worth the money. I've paid a magnitude more for my collection of planes and scenery than for FS itself, and felt it was more than worth it. That's why I'm personally not against the commercialization of mods on KSP (not that it will ever happen I think); think of the best mods you can think of right now, and then think "10× better." Because it works the other way around as well; if you're going to sell a mod for, say, $20, you'll have to make sure it's going to be worth it or nobody will buy.

Alright.

You may want to wait for Steam Summer Sale (it's coming up) before committing, as both FSX and X-Plane 10 are available on that service, and FSX can potentially be very cheap in the big sales. I got FSX for $5 last winter that way.

DCS is probably the best military sim on the market, its not *too* heavy on PC specs either, though you will probably have to turn some graphics settings down. Comes free with a few low-fidelity aircraft, other (high fidelity) modules can be added for a price. Includes helicopters.

Falcon 4.0 Allied Force (and I think there are plentiful updates) is quite old and very graphically primitive (except for the planes, they look quite ok) so will run on the oldest computers, but is also a very high-fidelity sim. Includes nuclear weapons ftw.

Both of these simulate the full cockpit from radio to navigation to radar, you basically have to learn to operate the real thing, up to a point. As in, if you want, you can do the full 10-minute start up from cold conditions.

4 hours ago, p1t1o said:

DCS is probably the best military sim on the market, its not *too* heavy on PC specs either, though you will probably have to turn some graphics settings down. Comes free with a few low-fidelity aircraft, other (high fidelity) modules can be added for a price. Includes helicopters.

Falcon 4.0 Allied Force (and I think there are plentiful updates) is quite old and very graphically primitive (except for the planes, they look quite ok) so will run on the oldest computers, but is also a very high-fidelity sim. Includes nuclear weapons ftw.

Both of these simulate the full cockpit from radio to navigation to radar, you basically have to learn to operate the real thing, up to a point. As in, if you want, you can do the full 10-minute start up from cold conditions.

Well I'm not really after combat sims :/ .

10 hours ago, pincushionman said:

You may want to wait for Steam Summer Sale (it's coming up) before committing, as both FSX and X-Plane 10 are available on that service, and FSX can potentially be very cheap in the big sales. I got FSX for $5 last winter that way.

Too late. Bought FSX already.

2 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Well I'm not really after combat sims :/ .

Aw sorry, didn't pick up on that. Honestly though the combat is extra, all the other instrumental and flight modelling is top-notch, but Im not very familiar with the civilian side of the market so can't really say much else :) 

X-Plane is obviously the way to go if you are looking for a civilian simulator. FSX has been the king for many years, but is really showing its age. X-Plane improves on many areas. The downside is that you really do need proper hardware to run it satisfactory.

2 minutes ago, Camacha said:

X-Plane is obviously the way to go if you are looking for a civilian simulator. FSX has been the king for many years, but is really showing its age. X-Plane improves on many areas. The downside is that you really do need proper hardware to run it satisfactory.

Right now I just need to get MSF to install properly since it wouldn't work after three attempts since I'm not an administer, and once I fixed that issue now I'm running into fatal errors... Ugh. Can I just enter the game?

17 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Right now I just need to get MSF to install properly since it wouldn't work after three attempts since I'm not an administer, and once I fixed that issue now I'm running into fatal errors... Ugh. Can I just enter the game?

If you need to install any libraries at all, you probably really need to be an administrator.

What is MSF?

4 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

How has nobody here suggested IL-2 Sturmovik? I heard it's one of the most well done WW2 flight sims around.

He might be thinking of civil flight simulators, or normal flight sims.

IL2 1946's graphics are pretty bad though.

Also,

On 6/10/2016 at 5:37 AM, Kerbart said:

This.

X-Plane 10's graphics are awesome, no denying that, but I find it more difficult to install planes -- Most of them are paid. Some flight models, such as Project Opensky's planes, are freeware yet high quality.

PMDG's 747 is probably the most realistic you could get, but damn, it is expensive.

Edited by Columbia

45 minutes ago, Columbia said:

He might be thinking of civil flight simulators, or normal flight sims.

IL2 1946's graphics are pretty bad though.

True. I'm still considering getting it after I find a good joystick for my computer. I have one that my father bought sometime in the 1990s, but with the advances in computer technology since then, my laptop doesn't have any ports that the joystick will fit in. In fact, the plug on the stick is slightly thicker than my laptop when it's unfolded...

If you do want a good looking combat flight simulator though, there is Rise of Flight. I have it, but haven't been able to get into it because of my lack of a joystick.

Edited by pTrevTrevs