Looking for a new computer for university. Can anyone help?

Dman979

To expand on that, keep in mind that the reason why companies offer cheap student deals is because they want you to learn and continue using their software, that will often become a lot more expensive when you stop being a student. So yeah, just because you can get a student deal on Photoshop or Maya, doesn't mean you shouldn't consider GIMP or Blender for example.

You can pretty much forget buying anything Apple that is worthwhile for that budget. Even new Macs tend to have so-so gaming performance when compared to other systems and anything in that price range will not run modern games to a degree that is usable. The obvious choice is to go for a Windows system. Saving up a little more would be another one and something I would suggest anyway. Add a few hundred dollars and you will have a much more complete system.

If you dislike Windows 10 you could always get a cheap copy of Windows 8 somewhere. If you can get over the UI that got so many panties in a bunch, it really is a great OS. You get all the control over your system, data and updates that Windows traditionally offers, while also having most of the great features that Windows 10 offers. Just be sure that Microsoft and Intel will keep supporting your CPU, as they will cut support to newer platforms on anything older than Windows 10.

On 10/06/2016 at 0:48 PM, SpaceXray said:

If I were you, I'd go with a Surface Pro 4

The Surface Pro is a wonderful machine. The senior staff seems to enjoy them very much and they work great in production and at home. The pen is of enough quality that artists can actually draw artwork on the devices too - you get a laptop, tablet and drawing tablet all rolled into one.

The downside is that they are expensive, but you really do get a lot of value for money in very handsome package.

1 hour ago, cantab said:

To expand on that, keep in mind that the reason why companies offer cheap student deals is because they want you to learn and continue using their software, that will often become a lot more expensive when you stop being a student. So yeah, just because you can get a student deal on Photoshop or Maya, doesn't mean you shouldn't consider GIMP or Blender for example.

While this is true, the reverse is too: becoming proficient in applications your are likely to work with in your professional life after college is in your best interest. For an employer, you are much less interesting if you use programs that they do not. What you learn in college goes beyond your classes. Building a skill set with common industry programs is valuable.

Of course, there are ways around that, but relevant skills are always a plus in the job market.

1 hour ago, Camacha said:

While this is true, the reverse is too: becoming proficient in applications your are likely to work with in your professional life after college is in your best interest. For an employer, you are much less interesting if you use programs that they do not. What you learn in college goes beyond your classes. Building a skill set with common industry programs is valuable...

Yes, but the more popular open source software tends to interface in ways similar to their pro counterparts, by intent.  For example, I use LibreOffice suite and GIMP and with my prior use of (MS) Office suite and Photoshop I know that the UI's were based on and are similar to the "pro" products and they are capable of saving files in compatible formats too.  Where Photoshop shines is in the availability of expensive 3rd party plugins.  I've used Maya LE before (it was bundled with Unreal Tournament at one time and I made 3rd party maps to play in the game).  Now Blender is a bit different than Maya but once you understand the fundamentals of one application, these can be transferred to use in the other application.  In fact, one reason Blender is so different is that it is in fact a simple game engine as well as 3D modeler and animator.  Having made maps or levels or wads in several game editors, to reiterate, it makes things easier to pick up in a different editing toolset.

So using open source software has not been a hindrance to me; rather it has helped me grasp some of the commercial software that companies and other entities have invested in.

4 minutes ago, Dispatcher said:

Yes, but the more popular open source software tends to interface in ways similar to their pro counterparts, by intent.  For example, I use LibreOffice suite and GIMP and with my prior use of (MS) Office suite and Photoshop I know that the UI's were based on and are similar to the "pro" products and they are capable of saving files in compatible formats too.  Where Photoshop shines is in the availability of expensive 3rd party plugins.  I've used Maya LE before (it was bundled with Unreal Tournament at one time and I made 3rd party maps to play in the game).  Now Blender is a bit different than Maya but once you understand the fundamentals of one application, these can be transferred to use in the other application.  In fact, one reason Blender is so different is that it is in fact a simple game engine as well as 3D modeler and animator.  Having made maps or levels or wads in several game editors, to reiterate, it makes things easier to pick up in a different editing toolset.

So using open source software has not been a hindrance to me; rather it has helped me grasp some of the commercial software that companies and other entities have invested in.

Sure, the software is often made to look alike. Thinking they are the same or even come close to being the same would be a mistake, though. I have used LibreOffice to my satisfaction for years, until I could get a free copy of Office through work. Then I discovered Office really has a lot more advanced functions and many useful options that can often be intricate or obscure. Some programs use the API, which simply means it will not work with LibreOffice or any other open suite.

However, the difference is much larger when it comes to design packages like Photoshop, Maya, Solidworks and other big brand industry standards. Even though you might be familiar with the basics, which does help indeed, you really need to relearn a lot of things. Even worse, most complex software has a lot of peculiarities you learn to massage over the years. You simply lack that experience when you come from a free package that is not common in the workplace. With Office, you could learn the difference on the job, but with more advanced software, the gap simply is too big not to be noticeable when you need to get work done. If you run a business, hours are expensive and having someone burn those up to relearn what they should already know is not very appealing and costly to boot.

To top it all off, you simply do not get to say you are well practised with the software the company actually uses. Having to market your skills as probably relevant with the assumption that you will figure it out as you go along, as opposed to someone who simply knows how stuff works, makes it a much harder sell, especially if there are plenty of those people that know their stuff out there.

Pc/ Windows. Software is mostly developed with microsoft derivates, no way around it for rl work.
Windows 10 pro is excellent btw, add a serious antivirus software like Kaspersky internet security. Kaspersky gives you the options to make a watertight system, even NSA proof if you like. :wink:

Edited by Mikki

12 minutes ago, Mikki said:

Kaspersky gives you the options to make a watertight system, even NSA proof if you like. :wink:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. It is quite easy to claim something that, almost by definition, cannot be proven. Maybe the next Snowden could tell us if it worked out.

Of course, the NSA pays special attention to those that try to evade detection, so you likely will make yourself more interesting.

2 hours ago, Camacha said:

To top it all off, you simply do not get to say you are well practised with the software the company actually uses. Having to market your skills as probably relevant with the assumption that you will figure it out as you go along, as opposed to someone who simply knows how stuff works, makes it a much harder sell, especially if there are plenty of those people that know their stuff out there.

You are absolutely right about that.  Most degreed people are in such highly competitive situations that familiarity with thus and such software may be a job candidacy criterion.  I'm lucky enough to fit in a niche for which I have little competition, in a white collar field with a lot of autonomy.  However, obtaining my degree helped me learn how to do research; also how to work within a system.  As for using Maya, Blender, Photoshop and GIMP are concerned, these are among my hobbies.  For someone wanting to work professionally with them, they would do well to heed your advice.

9 minutes ago, Camacha said:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. It is quite easy to claim something that, almost by definition, cannot be proven. Maybe the next Snowden could tell us if it worked out.

Of course, the NSA pays special attention to those that try to evade detection, so you likely will make yourself more interesting.

Since i live and work in europe we have access to independent internet servers like "Startpage",  datatransfer is not enrouted via GB/ US territory, (Tempora, Prism,...), i know about some hardcoded backdoors in intelchips but i am a normal civilian and i like to have my workspace save from piracy, spying from other companys or obscure governments activitys.
Industrial espionage is a serious threat.

Edited by Mikki

16 minutes ago, Dispatcher said:

As for using Maya, Blender, Photoshop and GIMP are concerned, these are among my hobbies.

For personal use, without much chance of making it into a job, I would recommend looking at the free and open source options. There are many wonderful software packages to be had for absolutely no money at all. Even if you run your own business, they might be interesting, as it is generally the result that counts and not the method.

It is just that people tend to underestimate the value of a skill set that has been developed over the years. It might be cheaper to go for the free options initially, but you could end up paying in different ways for it if you are not careful. As long as you are aware of that, you should be able to make a good choice. Develop your skills in appropriate programs. What appropriate means exactly depends on what you plan to do.

12 minutes ago, Mikki said:

Since i live and work in europe we have access to independent internet servers like "Startpage",  datatransfer is not enrouted via GB/ US territory, (Tempora, Prism,...), i know about some hardcoded backdoors in intelchips but i am a normal civilian and i like to have my workspace save from piracy, spying from other companys or obscure governments activitys. Industrial espionage is a serious threat.

You can secure your computer well against normal attackers and it is indeed a wise thing to do. It would be a mistake to think you can keep the NSA out, however. The harder you try to make yourself invisible, the more of a target you make yourself. By trying to keep them out, you are actually inviting them in, and that is a game you will lose sooner or later.

Living in Europe does not seem to make a difference. US citizens are actually better protected than people from other nations.

Edited by Camacha

same as a random civilian i don't especially appreciate a few thing, like a few weeks/months ago next to some "kind" another internet place forum posting of my own wich must have annoyed the hell out some readers, it was like 2 week of non stop internet box restart, and some of my external power device, partially rip ... ip spam + internal voltage modif ... cool bro cool ...

not that i did a few external and assembly coding 25 year ago on a ti 48gx for fun but slighty ... got some of the basic at least even if not praticing since long ...

ghost file update history within are fun isn't it ; ) but well fair after all for most ; )

#farmer so some eat like if i had time to spend hacking and coding ... (btw i m not a farmer but well .. same)

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

6 minutes ago, Camacha said:

It would be a mistake to think you can keep the NSA out, however.

This is the reason many aged people like me consider the "Patriot Act" as a first class false flag maneuver.
Its all about ecomomy and money, and bottomless greed.

what "amuse" me is kid with 160 fps screen that say "meeeeeeeh the framerate is too low i see the image flickering" ....

lolok oki 25fps 50/60 hz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Neuroscience

are they even serious nowdays with there "secrecy policy" everywhere ... silly imho ... happy disminushing return

it's both hey look at random did you see that and lost in the sum of the back bones ... "what a mess ..."

earth place under siege, civilian exil cell phone in hand ... louis xiv and it's palZzzZzz approve ... tsss tsss ... #*ulcer*&*shame*

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.