Eve Luxury Floatation Aerostat Habitat

47 minutes ago, 2001kraft said:

You did beautiful. Can I have some stats about how many it carries and what speed and altitude it hovers at?

This is a wonderful submission. Congrats.

It carries 33 kerbals, flies at a maximal top speed of 45 m/s and can hover at any altitude. In the bottom pic it's at around 36000 meters.

11 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

Can I use a warp drive, fusion engine, or nuclear pulse engine to get to eve? I don't like waiting.

Nuclear pulse is fine.
Warp drive and fusion are a bit too sci-fi for my liking.

Make sure not to use them when in Eve's atmosphere, however, except for aerobraking.

@2001kraft This is not really an entry - just showing support for the Eve aerostat mission idea. I'd posted a HAVOC Challenge last year, but so far I'm the only entrant (mission report). My mission was a one man HAVOC profile.

DPXtjNpl.png  Aerostat arriving at Eve

AbpLGbsl.png Crew transfer, awkward.

ajsY0Jsl.png Eve drifting.

6pkiejnl.png Preparing to return.

• 1 month later...

Very nice!

Sorry for the prolonged absence from this challenge - I'll try something on my own shortly.

On June 20, 2016 at 11:35 AM, RocketSquid said:

Also, I have two questions:

1. What do you mean by reusable?

2. Should there be another level between 20 kerbals and 100? That's a very large gap.

Reusable means that you can go back to Kerbin, safely, and then take off again and get back to Eve as many times as you want. As for the level, I decided not to include an in-between for extra challenge, and to pressure people into making the colonizer carry a ridiculous amount of people.

EDIT: just took a prolonged look at your challenge / submission. I noticed that my challenge is far more Kerbalized and not similar to the actual HAVOC plan. To each his own, perhaps? :P

Good job regardless!

Edited by 2001kraft
Because I'm an idiot who has no idea how to spell "regardless".

I probably won't master this challenge with my current skills, but I think that it is a great concept. Especially when it comes to returning from Eve: instead of building a massive mega-rocket to take off from sea level and ipreturn to Kerbin, small balloons that shuttle kerbals between the surface and the base can be used while vessels that are launched into space are launched from the base. Launching a rocket from 50.000 or so meters from Eve is so much easier than launching from sea level or a low elevation. Probably going to be spaceplane/balloon hybrids or at least something that will glide at less than 40 m/s in the upper atmosphere of Eve because it will need a way to match velocities before docking.

The main question is whether the base should be assembled in LKO (easy), in Eve orbit (harder) or in the atmosphere (Very hard). Even a 10m heat shield may not suffice because the base will be giant, comparable in size to a space station. 

Edited by MedwedianPresident

1 hour ago, 2001kraft said:

EDIT: just took a prolonged look at your challenge / submission. I noticed that my challenge is far more Kerbalized and not similar to the actual HAVOC plan. To each his own, perhaps? :P

Good job regardless!

I haven't submitted anything yet...

• 4 months later...

I know this is kinda necro-ish, but I wanted to inquire if this challenge was dead. If so, I was going to slowly (because I'm in career mode) put together an entry and create a new challenge, if not, then I'll slowly put together my entry and submit it.

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.