newbie questions about ksp

hello, im fairly new to ksp and this is my first post.  i am trying to follow tutorials on youtube, but some of these tutorials like building the first plane dont match the same parts that i have on my ksp like the black engine for planes. i never had it. i, obviously am buyng science and the people on the tutorial are using no mods neithr am i. so is it because of the updates and these people are using old versions? also im trying to install CKAN on my mac and it runs because i have wine, but i doent connect. im not using firewall so thats not the problem. and btw i am using version 1.1.2.1260. please, if anyone have the patience to answer all these questions i will be very grateful. thanks

1 hour ago, fluxornyc said:

hello, im fairly new to ksp and this is my first post.  i am trying to follow tutorials on youtube, but some of these tutorials like building the first plane dont match the same parts that i have on my ksp like the black engine for planes. i never had it. i, obviously am buyng science and the people on the tutorial are using no mods neithr am i. so is it because of the updates and these people are using old versions?

It is definitely possible that the YouTube tutorials were made using earlier versions of the game, and that they were also running under Sandbox (all parts unlocked at start) rather than Career mode (parts unlocked during play).

also im trying to install CKAN on my mac and it runs because i have wine, but i doent connect. im not using firewall so thats not the problem. and btw i am using version 1.1.2.1260.

You might have better luck asking this second question in the official CKAN thread:

Yes, the black engine was changed to look like this:

JX4WhiplashTurboRamjetEngine.png

The aerodynamic behavior of the atmosphere was also changed around the same time, so it's possible that tutorials using the old parts would also be giving old advice. Try tutorials that are specifically for version 1.0 or later if you can find them.

34 minutes ago, kiwi1960 said:

If you are a learner to the game, you might want to play sandbox, even unmodded, as it will give you an understanding of the game before trying the harder no sandbox mode.

I respectfully disagree. I feel that a new player having access to all the parts all at once can be a little overwhelming. 

I would suggest to do a few of the new in-game tutorials (they're quite good now) and then start a science game. It has the benefit of slowly introducing new parts and mechanics, while not having to worry about contracts and funds/reputation. 

If you're looking at youtube tutorials, pretty much all tutorials that deal with the atmosphere (i.e. planes, rocket launches) made before 1.0 release (April 2015) because aerodynamics were completely overhauled in 1.0. Some of the parts have been remodeled, retextured, and/or rebalanced, and many new parts have been added. Also, science and career mode are still relatively new additions to the game. Many old tutorial videos will most likely be out of date.

I recommend following the tutorials built into the game, they have been remade recently. The KSPedia is an in-game feature that can tell you a lot about a lot of things. After you've done the tutorials I recommend playing a game in unmodded science mode, so that you only have to deal with the simpler parts without having to be concerned with funds and contracts. 

Warning: wheels are highly unstable in 1.1.x so beware

Welcome to KSP!

3 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Yes, the black engine was changed to look like this:

JX4WhiplashTurboRamjetEngine.png

The aerodynamic behavior of the atmosphere was also changed around the same time, so it's possible that tutorials using the old parts would also be giving old advice. Try tutorials that are specifically for version 1.0 or later if you can find them.

the first i watch is a series and the guy starts from scratch. but i was going on sandbox and the parts were just not there like the J33 "wheelsly" or something like that. so im a little confused. whats the name of this part? and is ot on ksp unmoded?

1 hour ago, Jas0n said:

If you're looking at youtube tutorials, pretty much all tutorials that deal with the atmosphere (i.e. planes, rocket launches) made before 1.0 release (April 2015) because aerodynamics were completely overhauled in 1.0. Some of the parts have been remodeled, retextured, and/or rebalanced, and many new parts have been added. Also, science and career mode are still relatively new additions to the game. Many old tutorial videos will most likely be out of date.

I recommend following the tutorials built into the game, they have been remade recently. The KSPedia is an in-game feature that can tell you a lot about a lot of things. After you've done the tutorials I recommend playing a game in unmodded science mode, so that you only have to deal with the simpler parts without having to be concerned with funds and contracts. 

Warning: wheels are highly unstable in 1.1.x so beware

Welcome to KSP!

lol. thanks.

5 hours ago, sumghai said:

It is definitely possible that the YouTube tutorials were made using earlier versions of the game, and that they were also running under Sandbox (all parts unlocked at start) rather than Career mode (parts unlocked during play).

You might have better luck asking this second question in the official CKAN thread:

i went to the link you gave me and installed. but it just doesnt connect. i looked for the official CKAN thread but i coudnt find it. can you send me the link please?

also how important it is for me to install kerbal inventory system? sorry for so many questions

9 minutes ago, fluxornyc said:

i went to the link you gave me and installed. but it just doesnt connect. i looked for the official CKAN thread but i coudnt find it. can you send me the link please?

That link I gave is the official CKAN thread.

9 minutes ago, fluxornyc said:

also how important it is for me to install kerbal inventory system? sorry for so many questions

That depends on whether other mods you want to use require KIS.

damn im so hooked and i just started like 1 month ago. and i feel is so very complex. in your opinion, what is the best mods to have. and are there mods that improve the graphics? i tried looking into  the curse page but i didnt find it

the first i watch is a series and the guy starts from scratch. but i was going on sandbox and the parts were just not there like the J33 "wheelsly" or something like that.

By default the parts are organized into categories based on what they are used for, so it's possible that the Wheesley was hidden on another tab. Do you remember whether you were in the aerodynamic section?

so im a little confused. whats the name of this part? and is ot on ksp unmoded?

You can click the image to visit the wiki page about it. It's called the Whiplash turbo ramjet engine.

1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:

By default the parts are organized into categories based on what they are used for, so it's possible that the Wheesley was hidden on another tab. Do you remember whether you were in the aerodynamic section?

You can click the image to visit the wiki page about it. It's called the Whiplash turbo ramjet engine.

i will look for this whiplash on sandbox. im just trying to have notion of what im getting into, im pretty hooked already and i believe because i can travel to other planets, will makes way more interesting,

5 hours ago, fluxornyc said:

i will look for this whiplash on sandbox. im just trying to have notion of what im getting into, im pretty hooked already and i believe because i can travel to other planets, will makes way more interesting,

See..... sandbox allows you to learn before playing the harder game. YOU are still getting used to the parts, let alone how to do science and all that.

I stand by my claim that all new comers should at least play one game in sandbox before partaking the adventure game.

Edited by kiwi1960

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.