Devnote Tuesday: One One Three

SQUAD

13 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

I mean, that's standard for many people, so not too far-fetched.

Really? Your Munar and Minmal orbital stations orbit at higher than 100km?

9 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Why would that be your takeaway?

Major Premise: <100km is optimized for surface interactions. >100km is optimized for orbital interactions.

Minor Premise: Especially for things whose main purpose is orbital interactions (e.g. repeated dockings) like space stations, I want something optimized or orbital interactions.

Conclusion: I want things whose main purpose is orbital interactions, like space stations, in >100km orbits.

Is either the major or minor premise wrong? Or am I misunderstanding the situation?

I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm genuinely trying to understand the difference from a gameplay perspective.

They both are, actually. Orbits don't care if your reference frame is rotating, it just makes things a bit harder to conceptualize. :) Besides, the orbit math (other than tracking your current parameters) doesn't come into play unless you're on rails anyway (warp of the non-physics sort); offrails the lines are predictions, not guarantees.

Ah, hmm, now that I think about it: what _does_ change, now, between those modes, is how Krakensbane and FloatingOrigin behave; for best precision in docking (at the cost of perhaps slightly greater orbital drift for the active vessel) you'd do better below the rot threshold. But I doubt it's perceptible.

45 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

Ah, hmm, now that I think about it: what _does_ change, now, between those modes, is how Krakensbane and FloatingOrigin behave; for best precision in docking (at the cost of perhaps slightly greater orbital drift for the active vessel) you'd do better below the rot threshold. But I doubt it's perceptible.

Vessels inside a physics bubble don't share a common FloatingOrigin?

Is this why Kerbals drift up/down (and off) ladders because while on EVA they have their own origin and their orbit is diverging ever so slightly from the vessels (and therefore ladders)?

8 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

@NoMrBond no the problem is they _do_ share it. That means that precision is maximized for the active vessel. Consider another vessel a kilometer (1000 units) away--that's a fair bit less precision than a vessel centered around 0.

Oh, I get it, for some reason I thought it would be a barycenter rather than unfocused vessels appended to the active vessels origin

On reflection, given how that kind of origin itself would itself be in constant motion (like a mini solar system of its own), I can see why it's not!

Any chance of increasing Kerbal grip strength then :P

33 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Source?

It ain't much, but the original forum post is here.

21 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

"Untitled Space Craft" :sticktongue: Too funny! XD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.