Looking at laptops, when suddenly...

dogon11

Definitely should be better, but graphics is probably going to be the slowest part of the machine, so don\'t expect it to be amazing visually. That\'s where mine often has problems, although if you like rockets with high part counts, this is the computer for you.

Definitely should be better, but graphics is probably going to be the slowest part of the machine, so don\'t expect it to be amazing visually. That\'s where mine often has problems, although if you like rockets with high part counts, this is the computer for you.

My LEO rockets have waaay too many parts... except for my egghead design, it\'s relatively small and way too powerful. Graphics being the slowest part of the machine? That\'s no problem, this computer would be about five times worse.

8gb memory for a laptop is pretty good I guess nowadays, right?

Yeah, my current has 4GB, and I was going to get an extra 4GB for it before I saw this. My friend\'s desktop (we call it the supercomputer, it\'s i7, 8GB RAM, 2TB harddrive, 2GB graphics memory, some NVIDIA graphics card, requires 7 fans) has 8GB, and so does my other friend\'s new laptop.

What I want to know is if any of you guys know a better computer for the same price and/or less.

Aaaand I just read this in one of the consumer reviews:

'One thing I am a little mad about, is that they advertise it as 8GB of RAM, and I naturally assumed 1333MHz.. oh how wrong I was. They do give you 8GB of RAM... however it\'s clocked at 665.3MHz. '

How important is that? How big of a problem would that be?

Being refurbished, this is probably going to be one of the lower-priced machines at this performance level, although one of the reviews said that the RAM isn\'t as fast as advertised. It\'s still a pretty good machine. The other question, though, is if you were looking specifically for a laptop, or if a desktop computer would work for you, because desktops are typically cheaper for the same performance, and you can often build a much better desktop than you can buy, for a given price.

What I want to know is if any of you guys know a better computer for the same price and/or less.

Computers are confusing to me when it comes to pricing... there is a dramatic difference when it comes to buying a 'refurbished' desktop computer in means of money.

Refurbished laptops probably aren\'t as popular as I would imagine against a desktop, so I don\'t know.

What I can tell you is that my new mandatory laptop for highschool looks amazing with incredible specs, but costed more than 1500$. My desktop computer has 16GB RAM, two - 2TB hard drives, and dual Nvidia graphics cards (which like Dogon\'s description, uses many fans) which came in a total of just under 900$ with some smart shopping and savings on doing some manual construction.

I looks like, from my opinion, to be a decent price. But I have never seen that laptop before. I suggest going through any/all customer reviews.

Being refurbished, this is probably going to be one of the lower-priced machines at this performance level, although one of the reviews said that the RAM isn\'t as fast as advertised. It\'s still a pretty good machine. The other question, though, is if you were looking specifically for a laptop, or if a desktop computer would work for you, because desktops are typically cheaper for the same performance, and you can often build a much better desktop than you can buy, for a given price.

I need a laptop, as in two months, I\'ll be a freshman in high school. I currently have a laptop that can handle basic tasks, and run KSP (slowly for 90% of the time). It\'d work, but I need something that can really run faster, because I get mad easy, and in any case using this thing, I always end up cursing under my breath at it for being so slow. I\'m going to see how much my family can help me pay for it, because I don\'t want to burn all my money at once.

I was thinking of a desktop at first, thanks for the suggestion. My friend got his from some company that takes the pieces, assembles it, runs quality tests, and then ships. Most probably do this, I\'m very new into the world of computers.

Computers are confusing to me when it comes to pricing... there is a dramatic difference when it comes to buying a 'refurbished' desktop computer in means of money.

Refurbished laptops probably aren\'t as popular as I would imagine against a desktop, so I don\'t know.

What I can tell you is that my new mandatory laptop for highschool looks amazing with incredible specs, but costed more than 1500$. My desktop computer has 16GB RAM, two - 2TB hard drives, and dual Nvidia graphics cards (which like Dogon\'s description, uses many fans) which came in a total of just under 900$ with some smart shopping and savings on doing some manual construction.

I looks like, from my opinion, to be a decent price. But I have never seen that laptop before. I suggest going through any/all customer reviews.

I do find the pricing quite confusing. I currently have a refurbished HP Pavilion dv6 with the 2.1 ghz i3 core, etc. (the specs are in the OP), and it runs... slow. My dad got it for me, and I think it was 200 or 300 dollars, due to the quality.

What was your required laptop for high school? I\'m now interested after hearing that price tag. Must\'ve been good.

And yes, I read the two customer reviews. I should probably read the reviews from the original, non-refurbished model as well.

At nine and a half pounds this is not something you\'ll want to carry around much...

I think you can do better for $900 ;P

Just kidding.

Anyway, after looking at other items in that price range... not a bad deal at all, actually. I\'m just concerned about the weight, mostly, and how they never actually mention its monitor resolution. They said HD, but that can mean anything from 1366x768 to 1920x1200... so yeah. Also, I\'d bet $20 that the 1.0 MP camera is worthless. Lastly, it looks ugly as hell. But if it does what you want it to, that doesn\'t matter. All in all, I\'d say not bad.

EDIT: Hey hey hey check out this!

Well I have the g73sw(the model before that one was realeased) and it runs ksp fairly well but dont get it for the following reasons

1) Asus support sucks (I don\'t know how many times I\'ve had to call but seriously the tech support people are idiots, ( the best example of such is the motherboard in my desktop went bad called and gave the S/N they said it was wrong I had to call back 4 more times before just cussing one of the guys out and talking to the manager which as it turns out my S/N was correct)

1 continued) Their parts are unreliable( My laptop is now 2 months out of warrenty and heres a list of what has went bad ( battery, charger, touchpad, 2 keyboards, the hard drive and the charge plug that is on the mother board)

and parts to go bad in my 1 year old desktop (Motherboard, cd drive, and 2 graphics cards)

2) Its too big IMO to carry around ( I have to walk to class with over 10 pounds of laptop + charger) and then add books on top

3) If I were to buy again I would go with an i5 and having Optimus technology for battery life and smaller size 15.6in

Im not trying to slam asus but the issues have convinced me that I shouldnt trust them if you do buy it then I hope your experiance is better than mine.

Its a solid laptop if everything stays working and you are planning to keep it at home on a deskl.

Well I have the g73sw(the model before that one was realeased) and it runs ksp fairly well but dont get it for the following reasons

1) Asus support sucks (I don\'t know how many times I\'ve had to call but seriously the tech support people are idiots, ( the best example of such is the motherboard in my desktop went bad called and gave the S/N they said it was wrong I had to call back 4 more times before just cussing one of the guys out and talking to the manager which as it turns out my S/N was correct)

1 continued) Their parts are unreliable( My laptop is now 2 months out of warrenty and heres a list of what has went bad ( battery, charger, touchpad, 2 keyboards, the hard drive and the charge plug that is on the mother board)

and parts to go bad in my 1 year old desktop (Motherboard, cd drive, and 2 graphics cards)

2) Its too big IMO to carry around ( I have to walk to class with over 10 pounds of laptop + charger) and then add books on top

3) If I were to buy again I would go with an i5 and having Optimus technology for battery life and smaller size 15.6in

Im not trying to slam asus but the issues have convinced me that I shouldnt trust them if you do buy it then I hope your experiance is better than mine.

Its a solid laptop if everything stays working and you are planning to keep it at home on a deskl.

So pretty much it\'s fifty/fifty me getting a good laptop or me getting screwed over.

Well, I am thinking about ordered a 1000 dollar laptop; Fatwallet link: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1204007/

Microcenter Link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0394503

This looks really good. I might shoot for this instead actually. It seems it\'s newer, probably less problems, not refurbished, and just as good (if not better).

At nine and a half pounds this is not something you\'ll want to carry around much...

I think you can do better for $900 ;P

Just kidding.

Anyway, after looking at other items in that price range... not a bad deal at all, actually. I\'m just concerned about the weight, mostly, and how they never actually mention its monitor resolution. They said HD, but that can mean anything from 1366x768 to 1920x1200... so yeah. Also, I\'d bet $20 that the 1.0 MP camera is worthless. Lastly, it looks ugly as hell. But if it does what you want it to, that doesn\'t matter. All in all, I\'d say not bad.

EDIT: Hey hey hey check out this!

I rarely use my webcam, but my current is a 'HP TrueVision HD', if that tells you anything.

I don\'t care about weight really. I can deal with hauling a ten pound laptop if I get a fast one that works well.

So pretty much it\'s fifty/fifty me getting a good laptop or me getting screwed over.

Its probably more good than bad but tons of people love theirs im probably just unlucky and in general I hate tech support so (only good experience with tech support was MSI but I may or may not of caused that one, I didnt leak check my water cooling completely and well a week latter one drop fell onto my gpu and fried it)

But in all seriousness this thing ways a ton I carted mine with me around the city for 7 or 8 hours yesterday it sucks no matter what in that respect, the other issue I had was trying to find a bag for something this big

This looks really good. I might shoot for this instead actually. It seems it\'s newer, probably less problems, not refurbished, and just as good (if not better).

Good deal. 650M is an extremely potent card, latest gen, can run pretty much all of modern games I\'d say.

Though I do think 15.6 inch is too much for carrying around everyday.

Oh, and if you wanna play games, avoid HD 3000. For an IGP its good but its not nearly as potent as dedicated graphics.

If I had to recommend a laptop I\'d say go for Dell though, I had good experiences with their support and their laptops

although they do cost a bit more than the lot.

This is a little off-topic but I think it must be said.

Laptops are incredibly expensive because every laptop is basically comprised of original parts. Since a laptop has to be relatively smaller than a desktop and has to give some degree of comfortable mobility while carrying it, their parts are custom fit to the laptop. That\'s why most graphic cards are integrated to the motherboard, as a way to make the machine smaller. Speakers are integrated, keyboards are integrated, touch pad, screen, etc, all in a bid to make the package smaller. There all original to only that laptop, making them very expensive to build, which in turn is reflected at the price. Also, because its all integrated into that machine, you can\'t take out one piece and replace it with another. This is especially true of the graphics card which is pretty much embedded in the motherboard. Yes you can add extra things to your laptop like a mouse, speakers, extra screen and it works fine but it can only go so far. Again, lets go look a the graphic cards. It is possible to route an external graphics card into your computer via usb, HDMI, or more practically, your express slot. However, those ports can only allow so much data to pass into your laptop. So a graphics card that\'s rated as such would actually perform a good fraction because the port can only allow so much data through at a time. At tops, your laptop would be pretty top of the line for about four years, then it starts to go obsolete. Since you can\'t upgrade it, you will need to buy another laptop which is pretty much expensive.

Compared to desktops which can be constructed out of any hardware (which isn\'t customised, so it isn\'t that expensive and can be upgraded, giving it a good 10 maybe 15 years depending on care), I don\'t see why I would buy a high end laptop if I have to replace it in 3 years and spend all that money again where I can construct a desktop myself and only pay a few hundred dollars every two years for upgrades.

My final say is you shouldn\'t invest so heavily on a laptop. It should be lightweight, easy to carry and not bulky; not like the desktop replacement laptop your eyeing Mr. OP. And it should only be powerful enough to atmost run hd movies. Your going to replace it pretty quickly so don\'t invest so much. If you need more powerful computing, go with a desktop. Yes it\'s not carryable, but its the most economical.

But if you can afford throwing 1200$ every few years, than go ahead and invest on the laptop. But remember your shoulder won\'t be happy when you lug it around with you.

(sorry for long post, heres a nice emoticon!) 8)

This is a little off-topic but I think it must be said.

-long quote snip-

True True but I do not think 15.6 inch (although large) counts as a desktop replacement.

A lot of people (including me) like carrying a bit of extra oomph on their back to be able to do intensive stuff or play games.

Thats why I went with Alienware M14x, best compromise for me.

I think I have found a solution.

I\'ll fix my current laptop, maybe add some RAM, and then get a decked-out desktop, so I can change parts.

Great idea I love my desktop to death :) I\'d recommend building your own as its cheaper, if you have the time to pick the parts out. My first build took me 2 or 3 hours to actually build with me not having the knowledge to do such

For laptop upgrades if you are running a 5400 rpm hdd try to get a 7000rpm or a solid state drive usually youll get great improvements with just that much

SSDs are going to be way, way cheaper than currently in ~6 months.

7200rpm drives are better, but not by a whole lot once you put in a couple hundred GB of data... My desktop (win7, 6gb ram, 7200rpm TB HDD) takes like 3 minutes to become fully responsive lol

SSDs are going to be way, way cheaper than currently in ~6 months.

7200rpm drives are better, but not by a whole lot once you put in a couple hundred GB of data... My desktop (win7, 6gb ram, 7200rpm TB HDD) takes like 3 minutes to become fully responsive lol

Yeah i agree with that I have a 750 7200rpm in my laptop its fast but the ssd in my desktop kicks but its 25 seconds - the splash screen to boot up. it you start to get bogged down on a hard drive try defragging

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.