Huey Bell UH-1 Helicopter

2 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

I can upload the craft file for the Huey Gunship if you like. I tried to make one with TOW missiles, but apparently the TOW launch is a turret, so when I tried to fire a missile I destroyed the helicopter with the exhaust.

I will probably build my own version at some point although it will be pretty similar to the original rather than being authentic. Is it not possible to mount TOW's straight on winglets without the TOW launcher?

55 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Very beautiful, Redshift!

Would you like to build a camo version as well using KerbPaint?

Would be nice to see my Hind and your Huey in a battle.

Thanks, that is most appreciated. I haven't used Kerbal Paint before but I might just do that. I didn't know you had built a Hind! Do you have a link handy?

36 minutes ago, TorchedForever said:

The interior of the helicopter is stunning! Nice use of probe cores too.

Thanks, I could have made it better but I got a bit fed up of it towards the end. Other people like Azimech or Major Jim tend to make better interiors than me. I just wanted Kerbals to hop in and out of it at will.

1 hour ago, Redshift OTF said:

I will probably build my own version at some point although it will be pretty similar to the original rather than being authentic. Is it not possible to mount TOW's straight on winglets without the TOW launcher?

Maybe it is, but I wanted to have the tubes for the launcher (I always thought they were kind of iconic). I know that helicopters carry launchers like that, in fact, I found a picture of a Cobra from the Republic of China carrying one: 640px-One_4-round_XM65_Missile_Launcher_

I'm going to see if I can reduce the movement range of the turrets to try and make it work. I'm not sure if the TOW's are radar-guided in BD armory, if they are that would explain why it wouldn't fire until I actually clicked on the missile and told it to fire.

Ah I see. Yeah I guess they look better in the turret. I'm pretty sure you need the targeting ball/pod to use the TOW missiles. You lock on with it and you can also steer the missiles with the direction pad. You should be able to restrict the yaw and pitch movement of the turrets by right clicking them in the SPH. I would imagine they would still hit the target as long as you are facing the target in the allowable cone of fire which I think is also displayed on the targeting screen.

5 hours ago, Redshift OTF said:

Thanks, that is most appreciated. I haven't used Kerbal Paint before but I might just do that. I didn't know you had built a Hind! Do you have a link handy?

Yes, I do. I'm not sure how it behaves in 1.1.3 though.

https://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77I--Mil-Mi-24-Hind-D

Anyway ... the album is just to show how your heli will improve with proper colours. It really changes the whole experience when building a replica.

1 hour ago, Redshift OTF said:

Wow that is amazing! Truly an awesome job there. I'm surprised I missed it. I'll have to see if KerbPaint works in 1.1.3 but I could do with a green Huey. :)

The Hueys I've seen are almost brown, but not quite. Here's a picture of a Cobra at the US Army Aviation Museum, as you can see it's not really army green, but not brown either: Bell_AH-1G_Cobra%20_66-15246.jpg

Am I allowed to say it looks like a poop brown?

Its hilarious how they were converted to gunships.  

Materials:

Two rocket pods of anything.  Even russian.  Even mismatched.

about 4 meters of wire.

Grease pencil

button.

Duct tape.

sandbag ballasts.

Battery.

Procedure:

Duct tape on rocket pods.

Run wire to button, battery and firing system of rockets.

grease pencil an X on the canopy.

hover under 1 foot off the ground too see what the weight is doing.  

Jimmy the rocket pods to a balancedish position.  Use sandbags for any significant balancing.

Streamline sandbags with more duct tape.

• 2 weeks later...

@Redshift OTF @pTrevTrevs With the extra added fuel tank. I was barely able to make it to the shore of the island from the KSC. I literally landed on FUMES. I had about a kilometer of altitude, I went higher to save a little bit on drag and make the engine more fuel efficient. I had about 2.5 units of fuel when I was about 500 meters from shore, so I cut the engine and started to decrease altitude while using whatever momentum the heli had to coast into the shore. And then I was coming down in the water right next to the shore so I went full power, gave it a little boost and put it down as fast as I could. I wish there would be an easy way to squeeze at least a 50-70km range out of this thing, The real Huey could do almost 200 miles. fcNSWLp.png

Edited by Combatsmithen

Awesome review! I am most honoured. :) I think Kerbal inventory might be causing some of your crashes as I don't have that and everything seems to run fine. You can actually get the Kerbals to hop right into the helicopter through the side and then get them in their seats.

Regarding fuel, yeah I should have found a better way to put more in while keeping the CoM more in line with the centre of the rotors. There are actually another 2 fuel tanks that are filled and clipped quite closely near the tank under the rotors. It's a bit cheaty but I had to sacrifice some things to maintain the aesthetics and the performance. Perhaps a better way would have been to attach two more tanks to the ones under the pilots seats, moved them into each other a bit and then maybe that would have allowed me to fill another two behind the rotors.

Of course if you have a carrier you don't need to worry about range so much. :)

Edited by Redshift OTF

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.