New full game player checking in

Rickpadwick1891

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to check in and say hi as I have just purchased the full game after playing the demo for a month.

Already addicted to the full game and achieved a very rough orbit on my last two launches. I can get a screenshots of the ship I built if anyone is interested. 

I  am going to be working my way through some ideas for ships but primarily I am going to play in Sandbox or science mode. But will give the career mode a go at some point.

Oh yeah I also want to build a space station / satellite network. 

Look forward to looking at your most interesting designs.

Any mod to the game suggestions or challenges welcome.

All the best,

Rick

Welcome to the forum, and the game! First orbit is sweet. Wait until you land a Kerbal on Mun and bring him or her home. That's an experience right there.

I think you're wise to steer clear of career (that rhymed AND included alliteration. I feel accomplished!) for the time being. Science Mode in my opinion is a much better introduction to a new player. You are slowly doled out parts as you need them (more or less) but have all the freedom to make your own goals (which you will have plenty of). Career is more for when you've met your own personal goals and want to just try things of various challenge levels, and reap the rewards of success. And pay the price for failure. Sandbox is good as well but if you start feeling like there are too many parts, head right back to Science mode.

If you want ship ideas, check out the Spacecraft Exchange which has an endless supply of amazing craft, and for mods, it's hard to recommend without knowing what you like/want/need, so I'll steer clear of that. Also note that with 1.1.3 just being released a lot of mods won't work, and when you're new at the game you frequently won't be able to tell if the problem is with the game, the mod, or you doing something wrong.

EDIT: And as is tradition, allow me to grant you your first rep point!

Edited by 5thHorseman

46 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Welcome to the forum, and the game! First orbit is sweet. Wait until you land a Kerbal on Mun and bring him or her home. That's an experience right there.

I think you're wise to steer clear of career (that rhymed AND included alliteration. I feel accomplished!) for the time being. Science Mode in my opinion is a much better introduction to a new player. You are slowly doled out parts as you need them (more or less) but have all the freedom to make your own goals (which you will have plenty of). Career is more for when you've met your own personal goals and want to just try things of various challenge levels, and reap the rewards of success. And pay the price for failure. Sandbox is good as well but if you start feeling like there are too many parts, head right back to Science mode.

If you want ship ideas, check out the Spacecraft Exchange which has an endless supply of amazing craft, and for mods, it's hard to recommend without knowing what you like/want/need, so I'll steer clear of that. Also note that with 1.1.3 just being released a lot of mods won't work, and when you're new at the game you frequently won't be able to tell if the problem is with the game, the mod, or you doing something wrong.

EDIT: And as is tradition, allow me to grant you your first rep point!

Thanks very much. 

I am still getting my feet in the game so not sure what I like yet. I was looking through some of the space plane designs earlier and saw a number I liked.

I know what you mean about landing on the Mun, I managed it in the training scenarios last night but didn't get back yet. 

I need to get into a circular orbit now as they have been slightly egg shaped :-) and then start working up and out from there. 

Hello RickPadwick1891 and welcome to the forums!

You will find any number of suggestions and ideas on the forum, as evidenced by 5thHorseman's post.  Glad to have you aboard.

Happy landings!