Warnings for unattended encounters

In the past I had a ship flung into interstellar space due to an unexpected encounter. Today I had a ship (and Sidnie Kerman) crash into Ike while unattended (there was no encounter predicted when I left it). I had a few things going on at once and I forgot to come back to it and had no idea anything had happened until I saw my reputation had gone down. I'd like a feature whereby new encounters raise warnings, ideally as soon as its reasonable to detect and ideally with appropriately enervating alarms.

Just now, The Optimist said:

Then you shouldn't get encounters; If you're at the KSC or a vessel more than 3km away, the ship CANNOT get an encounter

I don't think that could be correct. One time a vessel was flung into space and this time it crashed. I have a save file I can experiment with.

26 minutes ago, THX1138 said:

I don't think that could be correct. One time a vessel was flung into space and this time it crashed. I have a save file I can experiment with.

It isn't correct, a vessel can still get an encounter on rails, it just can't collide with other craft.

ive had unattended satelites in orbit of jool get flung into wild orbits lol.   all it takes is accidentally have an orbit point close enough to one of the moons orbits and youll eventually get a fling out to the wild, if not on a collision.    

not sure how it could sense the difference between unintended and planned eventual encounters.  i dont use kerbal alarm clock so im not sure hownit works, but it would be nice if you got a pop up anytime a ship is within a couple hours of an SOI channge

I've had the Mun fling a few unattended/unfocused satellites outside the Kerbin SOI into solar orbit.  Now, before anybody makes the obligatory remark, I know how to plot orbits that don't encounter other SOI's (like the Mun's); the satellites were placed there due to contracts requiring their orbits to be at those orbital planes.  I knew eventually the satellite would have an encounter with the Mun's SOI, but if the contracting agency wanted their satellite there and they paid a lot of funds for it, who am I to argue...I have a space program to fund, right? :P

use kerbal alarm clock. it's the first mod I install after an update. it should be stock but isn't, I don't even consider an install with only KAC as modded. it gives a nice overview of upcoming events, lets you set margins for the alarm, jump to the vessel and even pauses the game for the times you let the game run while making yourself a cup of coffee...

edit: ah okay unexpected encounters, guess it wont help with them.

Edited by MircoMars

On 26/06/2016 at 6:55 PM, MircoMars said:

use kerbal alarm clock. it's the first mod I install after an update. it should be stock but isn't, I don't even consider an install with only KAC as modded. it gives a nice overview of upcoming events, lets you set margins for the alarm, jump to the vessel and even pauses the game for the times you let the game run while making yourself a cup of coffee...

edit: ah okay unexpected encounters, guess it wont help with them.

Well, if you set KAC to automatically set alarms for SOI changes, maybe it won't catch all unexpected, but sure should catch some at least. 

unattended encounters are sadly, possible. I have a satellite between duna and kerbin, or rather, thats the orbit I left it in when I launched it. I pretty much forgot about it for a while. Went to plan a mission <unrelated to the one left between kerbin and duna> to Jool and noticed that the orbit of said satellite was now going between Eve, Kerbin AND Duna... Gravity assists are nice I suppose. The bad part of all this? The orbit is Kerbin crossing, so, its not an IF that bird hits Kerbin, its a WHEN lol.

5 hours ago, Madscientist16180 said:

Well, if you set KAC to automatically set alarms for SOI changes, maybe it won't catch all unexpected, but sure should catch some at least. 

Thanks, I had no idea!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.