The Great Purple Marble

I hope I won't get in trouble for posting this here, but I just wanted to brag. After 162 hours I've managed to get a vessel to orbit another planet! The trip to Eve didn't go quite without a hitch (although, pretty well since it was intended to go to Moho) but I managed to leave a satellite permanently in orbit. I'm including pictures as well. Please please please feel free to offer any advice or criticisms, I wish I had more pictures to share!

Spoiler

Congrats. Most people who try going interplanetary for the first time usually shoot for Duna because the delta-v requirements for that trip aren't much higher than a trip to Minmus. So heading for Eve instead is a decent accomplishment for a first timer. Brag it up, dude!

7 minutes ago, Johnny Wishbone said:

Most people who try going interplanetary for the first time usually shoot for Duna because the delta-v requirements for that trip aren't much higher than a trip to Minmus

I figured it would be much, much higher, given that it was further out. That may be my next target. I'm not terribly far into my modded space program; at the same time Ares 1 was going interplanetary, Hermes 1 was making the first unmanned landing on a body (not my first.) I think Ares 1 spent a good 20 days waiting in 200km parking orbit for the transfer.

18 minutes ago, DarkHawkGames said:

Is it hard to land on Eve? Can I land with just a small parachute and some small fuel tanks? I can't make it with this rocket, but I'm looking to future missions.

You can land with the same equipment you'd use to land on Kerbin (maybe a little more ablator in the heat shields). Getting back, on the other hand...that is not a task to be taken lightly.

1 minute ago, cubinator said:

You can land with the same equipment you'd use to land on Kerbin (maybe a little more ablator in the heat shields). Getting back, on the other hand...that is not a task to be taken lightly.

Oh I won't put a manned mission on Eve, not any time soon or probably not ever. I don't even know how I would get a year's worth of supplies to Eve, let alone a return vehicle.

1 hour ago, Johnny Wishbone said:

Congrats. Most people who try going interplanetary for the first time usually shoot for Duna because the delta-v requirements for that trip aren't much higher than a trip to Minmus. So heading for Eve instead is a decent accomplishment for a first timer. Brag it up, dude!

True, but Duna is more rewarding for 2 reason

• You can easily land on you first trip
  • You have a better scenery.

I remember my first trip to Duna, it was a double Duna/Ike joint mission.

1 hour ago, DarkHawkGames said:

Is it hard to land on Eve? Can I land with just a small parachute and some small fuel tanks? I can't make it with this rocket, but I'm looking to future missions.

to land a rover or probe, a heat-shield can do the trick, but not alone, it's good to also protect the rest with a fairing too...
for manned missions, as the craft to return are generally big because it needs like 6000Δv to reach Eve's low orbit, the inflatable shield is the best option...
and believe, return from Eve is one of the hardest but more rewarding things you can do in KSP... :3

6 minutes ago, luizopiloto said:

to land a rover or probe, a heat-shield can do the trick, but not alone, it's good to also protect the rest with a fairing too...
for manned missions, as the craft to return are generally big because it needs like 6000Δv to reach Eve's low orbit, the inflatable shield is the best option...
and believe, return from Eve is one of the hardest but more rewarding things you can do in KSP... :3

I'm starting to look into sending a satellite then a lander (unmanned) later to Duna. I'm nowhere near ready to send Kerbals interplanetary; I'm playing with the Unmanned before manned (realism) and I've only really just started investing in manned space missions.

2 hours ago, DarkHawkGames said:

Oh I won't put a manned mission on Eve, not any time soon or probably not ever. I don't even know how I would get a year's worth of supplies to Eve, let alone a return vehicle.

It doesn't have to be manned. You can stick a small science probe sandwiched between a heat shield and a parachute, and it should be fine.

1 hour ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

I also finally went interplanetary for the first time today. It's quite a feeling of accomplishment. :D

(Duna, if you want to know.) 

Congratulations!

2 hours ago, Brownhair2 said:

Now that I think about it I think the very first planet I went to was Eve as well. Not intentional though ("Shoot I missed the Mun. Oh hey look Eve!")

That must have been a heck of a miss!

First of all: Congrats!

No valid criticism to speak of, but I have one warning: Anything you land on Eve without carefully planning Delta V numbers of the vessel, will stay on Eve. Eve is pretty much considered "Final Boss" of KSP :)

Duna is a much more common goal for first interplanetary, due to the much easier return.

Suggestion: Now that you have a craft around Eve, if you have the fuel for it, go check out Gilly, and go for a landing. Yes, I can see from your pictures that you don't have landing gear on your craft, but trust me: You won't need any, due to the extremely low gravity there.

20 hours ago, DarkHawkGames said:

I figured it would be much, much higher, given that it was further out. That may be my next target. I'm not terribly far into my modded space program; at the same time Ares 1 was going interplanetary, Hermes 1 was making the first unmanned landing on a body (not my first.) I think Ares 1 spent a good 20 days waiting in 200km parking orbit for the transfer.

Lol, it is much higher than Minmus. In regards of a mission to the surface and then return, Minmus is the easiest target, then Mun, then Ike, then Duna. Then there's a big gap in terms of challenge. Don't know why. The game is screwed together wrong that way. I don't know what's easier then, Vall or Laythe, probably Laythe, since you get some help from the atmosphere when landing.

Eve is a tremendous challenge, if a surface landing and return to Kermin is considered. It's the relaunch from Eve that is the greatest part of the problem, against that gravity and the thick atmosphere.

9 hours ago, jarmund said:

Suggestion: Now that you have a craft around Eve, if you have the fuel for it, go check out Gilly, and go for a landing.

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, Ares 1 will never willingly change it's orbit; unless there's a Shell station orbiting Eve that I haven't seen yet (likely) then its tank is bone dry. I'm currently looking into doing a Moho flyby/orbit (window is 14 days away) and with the KCT mod it'll be really tight getting the window properly. Do you think the ship I sent to Eve could get to Moho? I can post pictures of the full ship, lifter and all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.