Console KSP demo

So, gathering some feedback from console people, the ports are terrible. (Not going to develop that, just take a look at the forums or Reddit)

Now, spending $40 (or 40€ because 1€ = $1 for games) on an "unplayable" game (not how I see it, but how it is perceived reading the feedback) is going to make some people angry and will not help KSP spread on console.

A demo (already on PC) will not fix any of the bugs, but people will just try the demo, and leave if it doesn't work properly (they even might give it a second chance after some time) and will probably not bother writing a negative review as long as money is not involved.

That won't make up for the ports quality but might "save" some future console KSP players.

Are you sure the console ports are actually "unplayable"? That term gets tossed around a lot, there are people who say the PC version is unplayable. The reviews so far are generally positive, as are the user ratings. I think you might be experiencing that effect where satisfied customers say little but unsatisfied ones scream a lot.

5 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Are you sure the console ports are actually "unplayable"? That term gets tossed around a lot, there are people who say the PC version is unplayable. The reviews so far are generally positive, as are the user ratings. I think you might be experiencing that effect where satisfied customers say little but unsatisfied ones scream a lot.

You are probably right saying this, I have mostly read reports on these forums and Reddit that were insisting on the bad aspects of the ports. But on the other hand the few unsatisfied customers will be leaving the most comments on the game while the majority of satisfied customers will be playing on their own. If I saw it like that, new players attracted by the game on console might feel as I did reading that feedback.

If there are bad reviews, a demo will encourage people to still try it before purchasing the game instead of not wanting to spend money on a game that might not work from their point of view.

Anyway, demos are something I personally appreciate (the devs showing that they actually care about you enjoying the game instead of just taking your money and leaving you buy yourself) so I don't believe getting it on console can be a bad thing, even if my "bad reviews" argument is wrong, but then it's just an opinion amongst others.

38 minutes ago, Violent Jeb said:

Edit: and here's a 4/10 review for the PS4 version.

http://www.playstationcountry.com/game-review/kerbal-space-program-ps4-review/

He makes 4 "Bad" bullet points.

THE BAD: 

- Fiddly controls
– Motion controls can’t be switched off
– Tiny on screen text
– Very high initial learning curve

The problem is that one of those is not correct, but the game doesn't tell you that anywhere apparently.  Maybe it does, but it doesn't communicate it well, or have it in the tutorials.  All but one of the people I've been watching on twitch have been looking for a way to turn it off.

So his score should be 1/4 better, I guess?

Edit: I sent Steven a nice note about his review.  Lets hope he amends it.

Edited by klesh

3 hours ago, cfds said:

Why should SQAD/FTE waste time on making a demon when they can just rip $40 of people? This is business, and there $40 in hand are worth more than $80 down the road.

That's hardly fair. The same argument could be applied to the PC version and there's been a free demo for that version for years. I'd disagree with your "rip off" characterization, they are selling a product that people can choose to buy or not.

I own both PC and Console versions of Terraria, the Console version has always been a few updates behind, but the controls work rather well and split-screen multiplayer on Consoles is really fun. 

I don't own Console KSP, but I think it will suffer from worse issues than Terraria on Console (seeing as KSP is waay more complex). Not just that but the redeeming qualities of Console Terraria don't seem to exist on Console KSP.

Now, this is only the opinion of someone who doesn't own Console KSP, but I have seen successful and rubbish PC conversions in the past.

Nevertheless, I hope Console KSP does end up being a good game. (If so, I may buy it myself)

On 17.07.2016 at 2:50 AM, klesh said:

– Very high initial learning curve

I feel like this one is actually caused by the lack of on-screen information that should be in KSP from the beginning (TWR, dV, burn time and all that jazz).

On 2016-07-16 at 8:46 AM, Red Iron Crown said:

The console ports are not unplayable, just as long as you're okay with your career mode eventually losing the ability to save your progress. I can deal with the choppy frame rate, or the occasional bugs with the maneuver nodes. Losing hours and hours of work however is a bridge too far. I'm going back to my PC version until this is fixed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.