Need help touching down on the Mun.

Da_Dumples

If one of my landers comes down in a scenic spot, I leave it there so I can come back and take screenshots of the locale in different angles of sunlight.

But no matter how careful a pilot I was, I always seemed to come down just on the other side of some little hill or something from the view that I wanted. So although I\'m a purist and don\'t like mods, I finally broke down and got the cart, so I can explore and put my camera where I want it. 760 meters makes the difference between screenshot 166 (my station is the speck down near the bottom middle) and screenshot 301 (rover overlooking a sea). (Is that clear? I mean, it\'s the same spot in both pictures, except that in the second one I drove closer to the cliff with the rover.)

Mr. Reese, what\'s the purpose of having the landing wheels in a circle like that? They can\'t roll if they\'re not aligned, can they?

Just so you guys know, since it seems nobody has yet pointed it out from what I could see... IIRC, the Monolith on minmus is not on the surface; it is attached by an invisible chain to the surface of Minmus and floats about a km or two off the surface, I think.

If one of my landers comes down in a scenic spot, I leave it there so I can come back and take screenshots of the locale in different angles of sunlight.

But no matter how careful a pilot I was, I always seemed to come down just on the other side of some little hill or something from the view that I wanted. So although I\'m a purist and don\'t like mods, I finally broke down and got the cart, so I can explore and put my camera where I want it. 760 meters makes the difference between screenshot 166 (my station is the speck down near the bottom middle) and screenshot 301 (rover overlooking a sea). (Is that clear? I mean, it\'s the same spot in both pictures, except that in the second one I drove closer to the cliff with the rover.)

Mr. Reese, what\'s the purpose of having the landing wheels in a circle like that? They can\'t roll if they\'re not aligned, can they?

I was thinking about getting the rover mod, but I have a hunch that its possible if you use RCS and landing gear to make a rover out of stock parts.

I hope they get added to the actual game though :P

Landing wheels have a much higher impact tolerance than legs.

Landing wheels have a much higher impact tolerance than legs.
I did not know that. They kind of squish and bend under a large plane, so I assumed they were weaker. But I guess if you\'re not actually trying to roll anywhere on them, that doesn\'t matter.
I have a hunch that its possible if you use RCS and landing gear to make a rover out of stock parts.
Oh yes, a lot of players do that. It\'s an interesting design challenge. But it will run out of fuel sooner or later (the cart mod doesn\'t use fuel and will run forever), which would not have worked out for the long sight-seeing tours I like to take on the moons:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.