Multipart ship engines

11 hours ago, ruiluth said:

That would be accurate, if the mission were a simple one. However, the design goal for this ship was to create a powerful craft that would be able to complete multiple missions without needing to refuel while I get all my base infrastructure in place. The plan is to have it refuel only at Kerbin and carry enough fuel to be able to function anywhere in the solar system and still return home to refuel.

ruiluth,

You did state upstream...

On 7/28/2016 at 4:32 AM, ruiluth said:

Good point, I checked a delta-v map and realized that was more than I needed.

And that's fine; it happens. Especially when that's part of your design requirement.
 My disagreement is with the followup statement "more DV never hurts". Clearly it *does* hurt, as demonstrated by your difficulties. Dialing in more DV than you need bloats the total mass of your ship exponentially, which increases difficulty in design and deployment and skyrockets costs.

Best,
-Slashy

1 minute ago, GoSlash27 said:

ruiluth,

You did state upstream...

And that's fine; it happens. Especially when that's part of your design requirement.
 My disagreement is with the followup statement "more DV never hurts". Clearly it *does* hurt, as demonstrated by your difficulties. Dialing in more DV than you need bloats the total mass of your ship exponentially, which increases difficulty in design and deployment and skyrockets costs.

Best,
-Slashy

Alright, good point. :wink: I guess the mission profile is still in development. The recent discovery of Sarnus has thrown mission control for a loop anyway! :sticktongue:

For the Eve Party Boat  (a 4 man Eve return lander) I attached a pair of big nuke powered tugs with 6 LV-N apiece . This was back in the days of v0.24 though.

They didn't provide 10k dV but the lander they were transporting was 1200t

S2aqm44.jpg

I might have a go at putting something together that better matches your specification.

Here's my design, although fundamentally it's the same concept as Foxster's (lots of liquid fuel and nukes).

The TWR at launch is horrible at 0.11 but it does in theory match the specification.

One question though... what would you be transporting that weighs 35t but has no fuel and needs to be sent in one piece?

vLoTpDd.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.