Parachutes don't work.

Hello,
I have a little problem for a few days ...
Parachutes on my ships open normally, but do not brake the ship ...
I tried everything, it doesn't work ..
What to do ?
(Sorry for my english, i'm french 
:mellow: )

6 hours ago, Yahnyx said:

Parachutes on my ships open normally, but do not brake the ship ...

Can you upload a picture of your ship with the parachutes open? (Or where ever the problem area is.)

3 hours ago, Yahnyx said:

With a very simple ship :
[snip]
The ship fall like he doesn't have any parachutes...

Hi Yahnyx,

Welcome to the forums!

Please find a location other than mediafire to host your content.  Some time ago, the KSP forum blocked all links to mediafire, since that site was hosting inappropriate content:

Thanks for your understanding!

@Yahnyx,from looking at your picture,i can see that the parachute is not fully deployed yet.So i'm guessing that you didn't stage your parachute soon enough,since the parachute need some time to fully deploy.
My question is,at what altitude did you actually staged your parachute?

@Yahnyx: Your problem is that your fuel tank and engine are still attached to your pod. This tends to orient it nose-first, an extremely streamlined position, and makes it heavier, which means it is moving much, much faster at any given altitude on a descent. That means that you don't drop into safe deployment speeds until you are too close to the ground for the parachute to slow you down in time; in that screenshot, for example, you are under a second from impacting on the ground.

Put a decoupler under the pod to jettison the tank and engine, and orient the pod blunt-end-first during the descent. You'll be going much, much slower, and the parachute will work.

Edited by foamyesque

I open the parachute at 9000 m, when the ship start to fall.

But with an other ship, a plane for exemple, parachutes doesn't work either.

Even with just a pod and a parachute, it doesn't work.

I play this game since 1 year, I have 300 hours on this game, and it always works well.

Edited by Yahnyx

2 hours ago, Yahnyx said:

I open the parachute at 9000 m, when the ship start to fall.

The parachute should be fully deployed at around 400m,so my next question is,how did you setup your parachute(min.presure,altitude)?

Do you use any mods,like ModuleManager or Stock Bug Fix Modules?

Edited by sebi.zzr

This issue can happen when the Physics.cfg file in the Kerbal Space Program folder is not being used, this happens when running KSP from inside a zipped file, or from a protected folder such as Program Files, or from a desktop shortcut.

If KSP is not already in its own folder please unzip KSP in C:\Games\Kerbal Space Program and run the KSP.exe directly, and you should then find the parachutes are working properly.

2 hours ago, sebi.zzr said:

I wanted to suggest,that you delete Physics.cfg and PartDatabase.cfg from yours Ksp_win folder and restart the game.

Thanks you ! It work !

Edited by Yahnyx

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.