Enterprise Mod

Puggonaut

There was a mod called SciFi Shipyards that had the original (1950's) Enterprise, it hasn't been updated in a while though.  That one there is clearly the 2009+ "alternate reality" version, I haven't seen a mod for that one.

3 hours ago, Alshain said:

There was a mod called SciFi Shipyards that had the original (1950's) Enterprise, it hasn't been updated in a while though.  That one there is clearly the 2009+ "alternate reality" version, I haven't seen a mod for that one.

Yes this is the JJ Abrahms vesrion , i've got the SciFi Mod with the Original Enterprise and I am using some of that information to help me , the hard part is trying to add the textures to the acual mesh , I have Unity 5 and Part -tools and have imported them all into the Unity 5 programme , that's as far as I have got though .

13 hours ago, Puggonaut said:

Yes this is the JJ Abrahms vesrion , i've got the SciFi Mod with the Original Enterprise and I am using some of that information to help me , the hard part is trying to add the textures to the acual mesh , I have Unity 5 and Part -tools and have imported them all into the Unity 5 programme , that's as far as I have got though .

I don't know if I can, but I'll certainly try to help you out with this.

Just now, Puggonaut said:

Thank you , what would you require ? I have your Xcom Mod and its fantastic ,

Send me models and textures, and I can get you an .mu file ready for .cfg-ing.

And thanks :D

I have read the terms and conditions and I am unsure about whether you have permission to use the meshes to publish a mod without express permission from the mesh's author. I'm really sorry, but I need to be sure that it is permitted to do this before I can work on this.

The problem with these types of mods in general is they aren't modular.  That pretty much then means a cheaty ship is required.  Then when KSP is updated and breaks the mods, it must be updated to keep it working.  That's ultimately why mods like these fail.  There has definitely been at least a dozen star trek ship mods over the years.  There's always someone that comes along with a ship model they've found on a website, wanting to put it into the game.  But it's really not such a great idea.  I mean we could copy the entirety of scifi ships from googles sketchup 3D warehouse.....but that wouldn't exactly make for good mods.  

KSP is a modular game with parts.  pre made star trek models don't follow the core elements of the game. At the point you run a cheaty ship, you might as well turn your ships engines off and use teleport mods to get from one planet to the next, which kills more of the gameplay.  Then at that point, you might as well not even be using a ship to teleport in, but rather teleport on foot. It just gets more lifeless as you think about it.  Takes all the gameplay away and turns KSP into a walking simulator.  

Edited by fusioncore

14 hours ago, fusioncore said:

The problem with these types of mods in general is they aren't modular.  That pretty much then means a cheaty ship is required.  Then when KSP is updated and breaks the mods, it must be updated to keep it working.  That's ultimately why mods like these fail.  There has definitely been at least a dozen star trek ship mods over the years.  There's always someone that comes along with a ship model they've found on a website, wanting to put it into the game.  But it's really not such a great idea.  I mean we could copy the entirety of scifi ships from googles sketchup 3D warehouse.....but that wouldn't exactly make for good mods.  

KSP is a modular game with parts.  pre made star trek models don't follow the core elements of the game. At the point you run a cheaty ship, you might as well turn your ships engines off and use teleport mods to get from one planet to the next, which kills more of the gameplay.  Then at that point, you might as well not even be using a ship to teleport in, but rather teleport on foot. It just gets more lifeless as you think about it.  Takes all the gameplay away and turns KSP into a walking simulator.  

Thing is , there is nothing preventing it being modular, well there is, the skill of the person putting it in game, there are literally hundreds of free to download models converted to ksp, just have a look on spacedock, and with very few exceptions they are total rubbish.  Define rubbish. Rubbish, download model, scale and rotate for ksp, put through unity , give it a large and broken collider and import it, give it stacks of sas torque just so it sorta flies, ah not forgetting the ludicrously powerful engines( even a brick will fly with a million HP ) and then call it a mod.

KSP is all things to all people, so it doesn't matter if it's not popular, all that matters is that the individual who made it wants to use it. (why else do modders mod)

To get even close to working correctly you have no choice but to chop it up into sections, it's the only way that you can balance the thing,  and certainly avoid the awful collider abomination that forms most FTD models. One of the earliest KSP enterprise models had a collder that covered the entire ship, yes 1 collider, so you couldn't really attach anything to it, and it was no more than a curiosity, didn't even qualify as a toy it was so badly done.

Just from the image above I reckon somewhere in the 10-20 part range I reckon, to include working weapons and hangars, detachable parts and other toys which it would need to be anything more than ornamental would take a goodly length of time

You could chop it up into pieces but that wouldn't change much.  Does it have infinite fuel or fuel tanks?  Either way, it's cheaty or imbalanced or you break the look of the ship by having an enterprise with a bunch of fuel tanks strapped to it.  Gallivanting around the galaxy in the enterprise would get pretty old pretty quick if all the gameplay mechanics are removed.  

But one could kerbalize it a little to be modular I suppose....

OtqpUCm.jpg

21 hours ago, njmksr said:

I have read the terms and conditions and I am unsure about whether you have permission to use the meshes to publish a mod without express permission from the mesh's author. I'm really sorry, but I need to be sure that it is permitted to do this before I can work on this.

Okidoki not a problem , but........if you could give me some tips on how to do it , i may try myself for my own personnel use an not a general release ,

12 hours ago, fusioncore said:

You could chop it up into pieces but that wouldn't change much.  Does it have infinite fuel or fuel tanks?  Either way, it's cheaty or imbalanced or you break the look of the ship by having an enterprise with a bunch of fuel tanks strapped to it.  Gallivanting around the galaxy in the enterprise would get pretty old pretty quick if all the gameplay mechanics are removed.  

But one could kerbalize it a little to be modular I suppose....

So what if it is cheaty?  It's his game, he can play how he wants.  There are plenty of other mods that add strange and interesting things to the game.  Would you like to fly a ketchup powered hamburger to the Mun?  Here you go:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.