New ship type: Decommissioned

So, when i'm playing career and I'm sending up a bunch of satellites, my orbital view tends to get pretty cluttered with them. Eventually when a probe has no more life in it i'll just go to Rename Vessel and change it's type to Debris. That works well enough, but it makes it difficult if I ever want to find that probe again.

My suggestion is to add a little checkbox labeled "Decommissioned" under the ship types. Doing this would treat it like debris, but it would retain it's original icon. So you could leave satellites displayed on the map, but only your active ones, and then you could toggle on the decommissioned ones if you want to see them, and it would help you differentiate it from the spent stages and whatnot.

Also please note, I'm sure there's a mod for this somewhere, that's cool, but I'm suggesting this as something for stock. Just had to get that in there before the inevitable "There's a mod for that" first reply.

Well in addition to something like Decomissioned, it would be nice to actually have a "Satellite" ship type as well. Just because it's built around a probe core doesn't mean it's actually a short-endurance mission probe with a very specific purpose instead of floating perpetually in orbit of a single planet or moon.

They should allow the creation of custom categories within the tracking station UI. 'Aircraft' would be another one.

Edited by Guest

The ability to sort in the tracking station and the ability to create custom categories are both very much needed options.

I also like the idea of a "Decommissioned" or "Abandon In Place" qualifier.

Edited by razark

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.