Loading question - how to stop all resources for a part from loading?

Is it sufficient to simply rename or delete the .cfg file for a part, or do I need to also rename the .mu file for that part?

Also, how can I easily get the name of the mu file from the AvailablePart class, and, if possible, how can I get a list of the texture files used by that mu file?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Is it sufficient to simply rename or delete the .cfg file for a part, or do I need to also rename the .mu file for that part?

Also, how can I easily get the name of the mu file from the AvailablePart class, and, if possible, how can I get a list of the texture files used by that mu file?

Made some progress, I figured out that the model name is either the model name (specified as a model in the cfg), or, taking the full configFileFullName, deleting the last item in that (the actual file name) and appending the mesh name

I could also use the partURL, and delete the last two parts to get a relative patch name

So all I need now is to get a list of the textures, and their paths (to the texture file).

And, if you have a better way to get the path to the model (.mu) file, I'd love to hear it

I also can now get the model from the game database by accessing the GameDatabase.Instance.databaseModel

Edited by linuxgurugamer

KSP loads all assets before it loads configs, so there's not really a way to prevent them from loading without knowing beforehand and deleting/renaming them.

A part may actually come from multiple .mu files using MODEL nodes.

For textures, you can access them through the renderers, something like this:

HashSet<string> textureNames = new HashSet<string>();

foreach (MeshRenderer renderer in part.FindModelComponents<MeshRenderer>())
{
	textureNames.Add(renderer.sharedMaterial.GetTexture("_MainTex").name);
}

Using a HashSet to avoid duplicates (HashSet represents a set of unordered unique elements).

Edited by blowfish
GetComponentsInChildren -> FIndModelComponents avoids picking up part's children

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2016 at 1:39 AM, blowfish said:

For textures, you can access them through the renderers, something like this:

I have a very similar problem I'm trying to solve, and your code example is pretty similar to what I'm trying to do, i.e. using part.GetComponentsInChildren<MeshRenderer>().

Except when I do that, I get all the meshes on this part and all its child parts, not just on this part itself.

How can I get just the meshes on the specified part?  (I tried calling GetComponents instead of GetComponentsInChildren, but that finds nothing at all.)

53 minutes ago, Snark said:

I have a very similar problem I'm trying to solve, and your code example is pretty similar to what I'm trying to do, i.e. using part.GetComponentsInChildren<MeshRenderer>().

Except when I do that, I get all the meshes on this part and all its child parts, not just on this part itself.

How can I get just the meshes on the specified part?  (I tried calling GetComponents instead of GetComponentsInChildren, but that finds nothing at all.)

Right, you probably want part.FindModelComponents<MeshRenderer>

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.