Adding ignitions to engines post launch (recovered 1st stages)

ZooNamedGames

I've been talking to my Real Space Program team and we'd like to have a reusable booster that we can actually reuse (pull out of ocean/off barge and move to launch pad, attach payload, launch).

So my question is; is there a way to reset the ignitions for an RSS/RO engine? A mod? 

Thanks for the help :) .

Edited by ZooNamedGames

The ignitions are not a resource(although they may USE a resource). They are defined in the cfg and stored in the persistent file as far as I know. There is no way to edit this in game and no mod I'm aware of that does this as it is a realfuels function. By definition, a reusable engine would have multiple restarts(or near infinite restarts) to begin with. If the engines you are using only have one, it means they are only MEANT to be used once, because these engines are irreparably damaged during flight even before being destroyed in the ocean(or in the tundra in Kazakhstan). The only real option I see here is to either use an engine that has many/near infinite restarts as would be the case IRL, or edit the configs to add infinite restarts to the engine.

Edited by raidernick

5 hours ago, raidernick said:

The ignitions are not a resource(although they may USE a resource). They are defined in the cfg and stored in the persistent file as far as I know. There is no way to edit this in game and no mod I'm aware of that does this as it is a realfuels function. By definition, a reusable engine would have multiple restarts(or near infinite restarts) to begin with. If the engines you are using only have one, it means they are only MEANT to be used once, because these engines are irreparably damaged during flight even before being destroyed in the ocean(or in the tundra in Kazakhstan). The only real option I see here is to either use an engine that has many/near infinite restarts as would be the case IRL, or edit the configs to add infinite restarts to the engine.

The SSMEs are a perfect example of an engine that has only one ignition and yet is reusable. 

From what you've said about where the information is stored, it's as I thought.

Can someone make a mod that can allow launch clamps to reset the number of ignitions? Something like that?

Edited by ZooNamedGames

I'm sure such a mod could be made.

If you're using Kerbal Construction Time, what exactly is the benefit you're getting from not recovering the engine, having it in your part inventory, and then re-using it in building another rocket? Depending on your settings it costs some, but that seems right to me: re-usable stages do require some refurbishment.

7 minutes ago, Jovus said:

I'm sure such a mod could be made.

If you're using Kerbal Construction Time, what exactly is the benefit you're getting from not recovering the engine, having it in your part inventory, and then re-using it in building another rocket? Depending on your settings it costs some, but that seems right to me: re-usable stages do require some refurbishment.

We'd like to actually reuse them. Hitting the "recover" button feels like a cop out and letting the game auto assume the rest. We want to drag it out of the ocean and actually reuse the same booster again. As to actual refurbishing? Add that in the mod, we'll do it.

drag it to the KSC and recover it there? All you're assuming then is the payload integration, which you'd already have handwave somewhat by spawning in some sort of crawler with the payload to lift it up and on (I assume? Using KAS cranes). Not to mention a fuel Bowser or something, someone stand it upright on the launch pad... It seems to me that it makes a lot of stressful work with very little return.

57 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

drag it to the KSC and recover it there? All you're assuming then is the payload integration, which you'd already have handwave somewhat by spawning in some sort of crawler with the payload to lift it up and on (I assume? Using KAS cranes). Not to mention a fuel Bowser or something, someone stand it upright on the launch pad... It seems to me that it makes a lot of stressful work with very little return.

It's enough return for us.

Can someone please do this?

I remember a mod called Stage Recovery which let you recover some of the cost of a booster, depending in distance from KSC and how hard it hit. You'd have to stage with fuel left in the tanks, which would need another mod, and it doesn't need you to actually do anything, so it's a way off from what you want. Also, it hasn't been updated to v1.1.3 I think there is a mod for some sort of smart part which can trigger staging when there is still some fuel left.

That style suits my style of play. Though I can see how detailed control of the whole process of recovery and re-use could be fun. One of the good things about KSP is that we get so much choice, with the many mods. There's no One True Way.

As a practical matter, you've essentially got multiple craft in simultaneous flight, all needing control. Again, there are mods to cope with that, but it's not for me. 

On 9/15/2016 at 10:44 AM, Wolf Baginski said:

I remember a mod called Stage Recovery which let you recover some of the cost of a booster, depending in distance from KSC and how hard it hit. You'd have to stage with fuel left in the tanks, which would need another mod, and it doesn't need you to actually do anything, so it's a way off from what you want. Also, it hasn't been updated to v1.1.3 I think there is a mod for some sort of smart part which can trigger staging when there is still some fuel left.

That style suits my style of play. Though I can see how detailed control of the whole process of recovery and re-use could be fun. One of the good things about KSP is that we get so much choice, with the many mods. There's no One True Way.

As a practical matter, you've essentially got multiple craft in simultaneous flight, all needing control. Again, there are mods to cope with that, but it's not for me. 

I've used smartparts to leave 10% fuel in a stage, cut the engine and then stage the stage (one too many stages in that sentence). The "section" of the rocket then comes back under a parachute and at the last moment the motor is fired to land it.  

However this increases the delta-v of the entire operation, I usually just put more parachutes on it , and slap a couple of landertrons on the bottom now. Either way, you do it, you need to add a command core and an antenna to the stage, as well as a way of powering the decent which all adds more dv

44 minutes ago, genericeventhandler said:

I've used smartparts to leave 10% fuel in a stage, cut the engine and then stage the stage (one too many stages in that sentence). The "section" of the rocket then comes back under a parachute and at the last moment the motor is fired to land it.  

However this increases the delta-v of the entire operation, I usually just put more parachutes on it , and slap a couple of landertrons on the bottom now. Either way, you do it, you need to add a command core and an antenna to the stage, as well as a way of powering the decent which all adds more dv

RSS/RO, limited ignitions. Besides I can recover it fine, it's having ignitions for be next launch.

• 3 weeks later...
On 13.09.2016 at 8:36 AM, raidernick said:

...or in the tundra in Kazakhstan...

Tundra in Kazakhstan? :0.0:  We're not on Kerbin, bro.  :sticktongue:

Speaking of Kazakhstan biomes - those are mainly steppes and deserts. Tundra biome is wa-a-ay farther to the north and belongs to Russia and Canada.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.