FULFILLED! A simple (updated) mod to convert funds to science and science to funds, with optional conversion rate and fee.

inigma

KSP-Casher is not responding. I am not sure what happened to the mod author, but it's a mod in need of adoption I think. With it being MIT, should be easy. I just don't know coding enough to do it.

Essentially what is needed is a simple mod that allows players to:

1. Convert funds to science.

2. Convert science to funds.

3. Provide players the option to change conversion values. Default 10k per science point.

4. Provide players the option to add in conversion fees. Default 0 funds per conversion.

5. Provide players the option of getting paid funds per reputation, per day. Default 100 funds per positive reputation point.

Unlike KSP-Casher's approach to require funds for science, just keep it simple and only provide a mod or modlet with the 5 above features.

That's it. Any mod author want to take a crack at it, who can also keep it supported? Calling @magico13 :) or any other mod author.

UPDATE:

@SpaceTiger has graciously developed two mods that meet the exact requirements above:

KerboKatz KerbalScienceExchange - allows you to convert funds and science between each other with an optional conversion fee and rate.

KerboKatz DailyFunds - pays out 100 funds per day per positive science point with an optional config to also penalize for negative science points.

Thanks SpaceTiger!

Edited by inigma

It's a little early to be calling casher abandoned... It works fine in 1.1.3 and based on my recompile of Monthly Budgets will probably work OK in 1.2 (alot of my code used casher as an example).

For number 5, try Monthlybudgets. If you fiddle with the settings it can do what you want.

Edited by severedsolo

On 14-9-2016 at 7:25 PM, DV-13 said:

Stock strategies do that, don't they?

Stock strategies don't allow you to purchase science points if you have a crapton of excess funds. They will only convert a fraction of a contract payoff into science points.

You can't go and say: "Hey, I have 2 million funds in the bank and I still need 30 science points to unlock that one tech node that I really need, how about spending some cash to get some science back?"

1 hour ago, Stoney3K said:

Stock strategies don't allow you to purchase science points if you have a crapton of excess funds. They will only convert a fraction of a contract payoff into science points.

You can't go and say: "Hey, I have 2 million funds in the bank and I still need 30 science points to unlock that one tech node that I really need, how about spending some cash to get some science back?"

Rly? Then what's that?

Spoiler

Sx2GkqF.png

Well it is the opposite, but this mechanic exists in stock, and making a new strategy is a matter of editing a .cfg.

Here is the code of this strategy:

STRATEGY
{
  name = BailoutGrant

title = Bail-Out Grant
  desc = We must be in dire straits to be considering such an option. Accepting a public grant could save us from bankruptcy, but it would also put a very serious dent in the Space Program's reputation. However, the Space Program is too big to fail, so if it's either this option or closing shop, I would advise you to accept the money.
  department = Public Relations
  icon = Squad/Strategies/Icons/BailOutGrant

groupTag = Emergency,A

minLeastDuration = 1
  maxLeastDuration = 1
  minLongestDuration = 1
  maxLongestDuration = 1

requiredReputationMin = -1000
  requiredReputationMax = 0

initialCostFundsMin = 0.0
  initialCostReputation = 0.0
  initialCostScience = 0.0

hasFactorSlider = True
  factorSliderDefault = 0.05
  factorSliderSteps = 20

EFFECT
  {
    name = CurrencyExchanger
    input = Reputation
	output = Funds
	minShare = 0.1
	maxShare = 1.0

minRate = 83.026493061389099648900
	maxRate = 103.78311632673637456112
  }
}

Changing input and output will result in desired strategy.

Edited by DV-13
Added pic.

Folks, I'm using Strategia which replaces the stock strategies, so strategy suggestions are not relevant to the request unfortunately.

What I am looking for is a simple conversion tool between science and funds and funds to science, as outlined in the OP.  Anyone want to take a crack at developing a mod with these features?

1. Convert funds to science.

2. Convert science to funds.

3. Provide players the option to change conversion values. Default 10k per science point.

4. Provide players the option to add in conversion fees. Default 0 funds per conversion.

5. Provide players the option of getting paid funds per reputation, per day. Default 100 funds per positive reputation point.

On 9/14/2016 at 9:42 PM, ZooNamedGames said:

Check CKAN. I've 97% certain in scrolling through the mods I've seen one that does exactly this.

Nope. There was, but it doesn't support the latest versions of KSP.

Edited by inigma

3 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Is that CKAN's answer or from testing it? If it's CKAN, try it anyway. I find some mods work even beyond their rated version. Something as basic as what your request should work fine.

There really wasn't one that did it exactly. Science Funding by Ippo paid you funds for science, but was not a converter between the two. The really isn't a mod that does the features I've requested unfortunately. It does seem simple enough, but not knowing much about C# I wouldn't even know where to or how to begin.

10 minutes ago, inigma said:

There really wasn't one that did it exactly. Science Funding by Ippo paid you funds for science, but was not a converter between the two. The really isn't a mod that does the features I've requested unfortunately. It does seem simple enough, but not knowing much about C# I wouldn't even know where to or how to begin.

I'm certain there was a mod on CKAN does that though. Maybe not for 1.1.3, but it existed.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.