Fighter Jet Speed Test

On 10/27/2016 at 9:25 AM, DarkOwl57 said:

This sounds like a commercial lol.

Everyone's rushing to bomb their friends, so don't miss out. AND, don't forget about our super-exclusive deal! 3 ships for the low low price of only $399,999.99! Hurry, this deal ends soon. Contact Torquimedes or any of our sales reps at 995-423-3925 today!

For rush delivery, call our sales consultant at 555-867-5309!

After consulting with our attorneys(1) over the contract language, we have been informed that:

• “plane” refers to a craft with fixed wings and a cockpit
  • “fighter” is a plane that launches weapons
  • “mk1 parts” means “only parts with a 1.25m attachment node”.  

Therefore and henceforth, we shall use only parts from the “Size 1” tab in the SPH, bits from the aerodynamic category, and wheels.

I’m not clear about the formula and curious about the score for my single-engine entry, the BeeGeez model A300.
$23k, less than 9 tons, 25 parts. No mods, no cheats.  480 m/s, 12.4 G

r74wBqU.png 

(1) THESE ARE NOT OFFICIAL RULES, the actual rules are on the first page.  I just made these up to make my own entries more absurd.

The BeeGeez model A807 “Hunchback” is a 64-part twin-engine Mach-1 attack plane which can (briefly) sustain 11 Geez.  Pure stock, no cheats.

6V2t6s9.png

Our marketing department has whipped up a glossy brochure with small words and large pictures.

Be the first to own the Diamond-back Sonic-smack Whip-crack Anti-flak Six-pack Fast-attack Hunchback!

Spoiler

hOppVXm.png  Diamond-back

LxF8lEx.png  Sonic-smack

0oFy4H1.png  Whip-crack

1oPiMU6.png  Anti-flak

b6NcXqB.png  Six-pack

ZS6PCyP.png  Fast-attack

FLIPYGr.png  Hunchback

Features:

• “Diamondback” pitch vector leverage vanes for nominal control redundancy.
  • Toggleable afterburners for efficient cruising or supersonic sprints.
  • SLow AiMing (SLAM) system using eight torque wheels to provide increased low-speed control authority during attack runs.
  • Lack of roll or yaw control surfaces...er...reduces drag? Yes! Reduces drag for speed and fuel economy.
  • Lack of airbrakes reduces complexity.  They aren’t needed since the Hunchback sheds unwanted speed very quickly at reduced throttle.
  • Six GRAB missiles (repurposed from the “Grappling Rocket Assist, Ballistic” project).

Caution:

• Loss of electric power disables SLAM system.  With sufficient altitude, the Hunchback will right itself and pitch control can effect a survivable crash.
  • Missiles should not be fired during supersonic flight.  Or at generally high speeds.  Or if it can be avoided.
  • Diminished pitch authority may result from missile launches, due to sheared cockpit canards.
  • Do not be alarmed at sudden jolts and/or small explosions while firing missiles.  These are likely sheared fins.  
  • A GRAB missile which intersects its target at very low closing speed may actually attach itself instead of exploding.
  • A GRAB missile could flip about and attach itself to the launching aircraft.  If this happens, close your eyes and eject because the world is about to end.

MiNhAQq.png  ORDER YOURS TODAY!

Edited by Torquimedes

Holy Kerbol that's awesome looking!

46 minutes ago, dragonaether said:

I don't know why, but it remember me the star wars droid transport ship, the one to invade the clone ship. Very cool, can I order one from kamazon? I also have the jeb promotion, for each command pod 10% of discount. 

sorry for my bad humor :(

You can also order it from K-BAY. Torquimedes Inc. promises a 100% safe delivery, with drivers trained by KPS and KED-EX.

17 hours ago, foamyesque said:

It isn't precisely manouverable, but it certainly is fast:

05CACAC545C3C80401DE8FAD99A48DCDB2D5D77F

It remind me a rocket car and i absolutely love this design. And your craft is fast, I mean more than 6000 km/h you could circumnavigate Kerbin in less than 40 minutes !

I think you can turn it into an SSTO simply by replacing one of the liquid fuel tank with a rocket tank. 

I will never win this challenge :(

P.S.

where did you found KER? my version doesn't work and I didn't found any 1.2 version, not yet.

Edited by dragonaether

@dragonaether: There's an in-dev version up on Github, I believe, or was when I got it. As far as making it a SSTO, that needs a couple of changes; I'd need to swap some of tankage and/or structural fuselage for rocket fuel tanks, and I'd need to change out the intakes for shock cones for proper high-altitude operation; I'm only using two diverterless nacelles, which can't provide the air needed beyond about 8km.

As far as the speed goes, yep. The RAPIERS hit a wall at around Mach 4.8, at which point their thrust starts dropping off rapidly. I've actually had no-cheats craft get going faster, but they were much larger and used the Mk3 parts for their better thermal properties, and had a lot more engines compared to their frontage. The rules of the challenge preclude using them, though,

Edited by foamyesque

On 11/3/2016 at 1:43 PM, dragonaether said:

I will never win this challenge :(

Rules

9. Have fun.

Sometimes it's about the journey.  And the explosions, and sometimes the screaming between the one and the other.

Edited by Torquimedes

Okay, so what were the points? My computer is not cooperating with me atm, and I can't see @foamyesque's pics. If anyone knows what about of points he/she has, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

I saw the picture of the plane via email notification, and I have to say, that looks good. (It might make an appearance in my third book of the series)

4 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Okay, so what were the points? My computer is not cooperating with me atm, and I can't see @foamyesque's pics. If anyone knows what about of points he/she has, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

I saw the picture of the plane via email notification, and I have to say, that looks good. (It might make an appearance in my third book of the series)

Max speed was 1734m/s, Max gs not applicable because the F3 was taken post-craft disintegration.

I've done some fiddling about, though, and managed to get a variant design up to 1739m/s and 222g without cheats. See below:

The plane:

125ACA43F68828A78797D55FD3BB10E41DB32670

G-loading:

FEDFE3174E2055D31FD0FCF465B7791F8ED05133

Top speed:

4D3A1A75EAE5B5231747DC06952F4D20F1704AA9

With cheats it can hit something like 1860m/s+ :v

Oh, BTW: Dropbox link if anyone wants to give it a shot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xui8adxfwdbf21f/Very Fast.craft?dl=0

15 hours ago, foamyesque said:

Max speed was 1734m/s, Max gs not applicable because the F3 was taken post-craft disintegration.

I've done some fiddling about, though, and managed to get a variant design up to 1739m/s and 222g without cheats. See below:

Reveal hidden contents

The plane:

125ACA43F68828A78797D55FD3BB10E41DB32670

G-loading:

FEDFE3174E2055D31FD0FCF465B7791F8ED05133

Top speed:

4D3A1A75EAE5B5231747DC06952F4D20F1704AA9

With cheats it can hit something like 1860m/s+ :v

Oh, BTW: Dropbox link if anyone wants to give it a shot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xui8adxfwdbf21f/Very Fast.craft?dl=0

222G?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? HOW????? WHY????? WHEN????? THE ACTUAL [Explanative] 

4 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

222G?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? HOW????? WHY????? WHEN????? THE ACTUAL [Explanative] 

A hard turn at 1400m/s+. Because it's got TVC engines and 150 authority on the tail, it can stall out the wings and bleeds something like 1000m/s in under a second. I'm not 100% sure what the maximum airframe loading is with an empty plane, but I didn't want to break things and by the time I was at 222g I was out of fuel to keep pushing it and needed to do the speed run :v

Edited by foamyesque

https://kerbalx.com/AeroGav/Silver-Gryphon

20161106073606_1_zpsekq1jshp.jpg

20161105211129_1_zpsx3spt3wz.jpg

Too much wing, flying at only 0.5AoA to sustain level flight.  I tried another version with only a big S strake for lift, but it only got 20 m/s faster because of diminishing returns and because the cockpit got hotter with less parts shielding it.

Flying higher reduces heat,  but also cuts engine power.

For the G test, I tried a power dive but kept blowing up.  So if you just take off from the runway , fly level to best speed on the deck, then yank on the stick, we get 290g

20161106073728_1_zpsp1clprgx.jpg

Alright, so some quick info. As I have already started (And am nearing completion of) the second story, The planes that have posted here will not appear in the second story. HOWEVER; They have a good chance of being featured in the 3rd story (The (hopefully) finale). Keep that in mind as you continue your beautiful and sleek designs.

On 11/5/2016 at 2:01 PM, foamyesque said:

A hard turn at 1400m/s+. Because it's got TVC engines and 150 authority on the tail, it can stall out the wings and bleeds something like 1000m/s in under a second. I'm not 100% sure what the maximum airframe loading is with an empty plane, but I didn't want to break things and by the time I was at 222g I was out of fuel to keep pushing it and needed to do the speed run :v

How is your plane not torn apart by g's? And how are you not overheating at such a low altitude? My guess is that there is not enough time for it to heat up, but regardless of design anything at all that I get faster than mach 4 below 5km goes boom pretty quick.

On 11/6/2016 at 9:54 AM, AeroGav said:

For the G test, I tried a power dive but kept blowing up.  So if you just take off from the runway , fly level to best speed on the deck, then yank on the stick, we get 290g

That is a lot of Gs. :0.0:

I had to have a go at this G goodness myself, but couldn't pull quite that many. Got quite close though - max speed 1776 m/s, 267.5 G, on my old Screamy retrofitted with more wings, now dubbed Screamy 4. Lost a nose cone in the process, but with wings that is, somehow, a lot less painful.

3 hours ago, Eidahlil said:

I had to have a go at this G goodness myself, but couldn't pull quite that many. Got quite close though - max speed 1776 m/s, 267.5 G, on my old Screamy retrofitted with more wings, now dubbed Screamy 4. Lost a nose cone in the process, but with wings that is, somehow, a lot less painful.

1776 at sea level is insane.  The Gryphon's larger wings mean it can only do 1240 at that height.      Sustained turn performance isn't too bad,  at  8km and mach 3.7 it can maintain  27G for four minutes.   Then it runs out of fuel.

Edited by AeroGav

2 hours ago, Eidahlil said:

FAR would have murdered you at the end there. Ahh... stock physics. 

7 hours ago, Eidahlil said:

You want this on the leaderboard?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.