Who Would You Cast in a Hypothetical Live-Action KSP Movie?

njmksr

Hey guys!

I didn't think this fit in in Forum Games, but I was just wondering... 

In a live action KSP movie, (which is not a good idea) who would you cast as:

Jedediah Kerman

Bill Kerman

Bob Kerman

Valentina Kerman

Wernher von Kerman (R&D)

Gene Kerman (Mission Control)

Mortimer Kerman (Finance)

Linus Kerman (Science)

Walt Kerman (PR)

Gus Kerman (Operations)

I would cast:

Jeb- Matt Damon

Bill- Robert Downey, Jr.

Bob- Tom Cruise (Before the Scientology stuff)

Val- Jessica Chastain

Wernher: ?

Gene: Tom Hanks

Mortimer: Jeff Daniels (cameo)

Linus: Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson (cameo)

Walt: ?

Gus: Stan Lee (cameo)

Leave your answers in the thread below!

Edited by njmksr

11 hours ago, RainDreamer said:

I would cast them as themselves, since getting human to look like kerbals are pretty hard

Yeah, I agree. I think OP might be talking about voice acting, though.

12 hours ago, RainDreamer said:

I would cast them as themselves, since getting human to look like kerbals are pretty hard

10 minutes ago, Aperture Science said:

Yeah, I agree. I think OP might be talking about voice acting, though.

Oh, hell no. This is Hollywood we're talking about... They could pull it off. It would be by no standards good, but they could do it.

And I mean not just voice acting, but like James Cameron's Avatar-esque CGI. 

4 hours ago, njmksr said:

Oh, hell no. This is Hollywood we're talking about... They could pull it off. It would be by no standards good, but they could do it.

And I mean not just voice acting, but like James Cameron's Avatar-esque CGI. 

Of course it would be done. Just look at this.

Red-Queen-from-Alice-in-Wonderland.jpg

On 9/20/2016 at 10:46 PM, ZooNamedGames said:

I actually considered making one, and I'd love to direct one if I could. I do have a story and more set up.

Copyright and legal stuff might be a problem, though.

32 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Not if its a free group project with donations that's also free to see. 

Pretty sure that still doesn't give you carte blanche to use the intellectual property of others.

2 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Well it would be under fair use as its a non-profit activity.

I'm not sure I'd reach the same conclusion.  From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use:

Examples of fair use in United States copyright law include commentary, search engines, criticism, parody, news reporting, research, and scholarship.

About the only thing in there that sounds even close is the parody clause.  But I don't think that's what we're discussing here.

There's been a history of IP-holders tolerating non-profit fan content, but that doesn't mean that it's legally protected.  Look at what Paramount has stipulated for Star Trek, and Nintendo's reaction to literally anything that references their IP for examples of what I'm talking about.

6 minutes ago, pxi said:

I'm not sure I'd reach the same conclusion.  From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use:

About the only thing in there that sounds even close is the parody clause.  But I don't think that's what we're discussing here.

There's been a history of IP-holders tolerating non-profit fan content, but that doesn't mean that it's legally protected.  Look at what Paramount has stipulated for Star Trek, and Nintendo's reaction to literally anything that references their IP for examples of what I'm talking about.

Then what can people do. :mad: Look at what our world has come to where people can't even show their interest in a company's work with no profit and yet still be the bad guy. 

Ah well. One more reason to hate this civilization we've created.

1 minute ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Then what can people do. :mad: Look at what our world has come to where people can't even show their interest in a company's work with no profit and yet still be the bad guy. 

You negotiate with the rights-holder for permission to use their IP.  Happens all the time.

7 minutes ago, pxi said:

You negotiate with the rights-holder for permission to use their IP.  Happens all the time.

As a non-profit group that wouldn't even reach 100 views on its sole viewing source, YouTube? The answer is no. They'd never give it to such a pathetically small group. 

We're not Robert Rodriguez, the next minimal cost setup movie director, we're a bunch of people with a few quarters in our back pocket wanting to make something for fun and to show our appriciation to the creators, whom as I said, would never go for it.

1 minute ago, ZooNamedGames said:

As a non-profit group that wouldn't even reach 100 views on its sole viewing source, YouTube? The answer is no. They'd never give it to such a pathetically small group. 

We're not Robert Rodriguez, the next minimal cost setup movie director, we're a bunch of people with a few quarters in our back pocket wanting to make something for fun and to show our appriciation to the creators, whom as I said, would never go for it.

Well, as the saying goes; if you don't ask, you don't get.

13 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Guess it's worth a shot... as much in vain as it may be.

Let me type up a decent request for permissions and what that will entail.

So now it's just "Let's make a KSP movie"

I guess why the hell not?

If you would be willing to just post the request letter in like a spoiler before you send it, I would be really happy.

And hey, as far as views, be optimistic! If it's any good, then I will certainly tell everyone I know about it! You'll get more than a hundred views! Also, I think it would be easier to make it computer animated, rather than with actors and costumes and stuff. Like the Warcraft, or Angry Birds, or Clash of Clans movies, or any movie based on a game. Not to mention that you can make huge explosions without actually endangering anybody. And that's a key part of the Kerbal culture, explosions. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.