The Bulk Landers Challenge

The Challenge: Take as many landers to a certain celestial body and land them on the surface then return them to the transport stage in orbit. The amount of Kerbals on board counts, but is nerfed so someone doesn't send a single lander with many many kerbals and take all the points. The idea is to get the most landers though. Unfortunately it may come down to who has the biggest computer/ attention span to continue landing the landers.

The Rules: 

- All landers must carry atleast one Kerbal to the surface of said celestial body and back to the main ship. The use of the EVA pack is allowed but cannot be the only propulsion taking the Kerbal to the surface. All kerbals need a lander. NOTE: The landers do not need to be single stage.

- No cheats such as hack gravity, infinite fuel or set orbit. You must actually fly them there.

- Multiple launches are allowed, no need to crush budgets or framerates.

- Landers may not be reused 

- No part clipping of functional parts such as (batteries, fuel tanks, reaction wheels, crew compartments, solar/radiator panels, fuel cells, chairs), however it is allowed to clip structural parts.

- Return all Kerbals to Kerbin safely.

- Every landing must be proved by a flag.

- Relay networks are optional.

- Re-entry heating must be set at at least 100%

- Information mods, alarm clocks and graphics mods are allowed.

- No ISRU

- No docking to other vessels after leaving Kerbin's SOI unless it it the lander docking to the mothership. This rule is so you don't send a fuel tanker out the the planet/moon and refuel there.

- Landers do not need to be recovered, only the Kerbals do.

- All landers must leave Kerbin on the same vessel.

Scoring: The landers will receive a certain amount of points based on the celestial body they landed on. Kerbin does not count are a destination, go somewhere else.

- Laythe landers receive +5 points per lander (+7 points if the landers land on solid ground)

- Eve landers receive +20 points per lander

- Tylo landers receive +5 points per lander 

- Vall and Eeloo landers receive +3 points per lander

- Mun, Ike and Dres landers receive a +2 points per lander

- Bop, Pol, Gilly and Minmus receive +1 point per lander

- Duna landers receive +4 points per lander

- Moho landers receive a +6 per lander

- Every Kerbal landed and returned to Kerbin will receive +.5 points

- To find the score for the number of launches take the number of launches and divide 10 by that number. (For example if you had 4 launches divide 10 by 4 to get 2.5 and that's the amount of points you receive.

- At least 2 landers must be sent.

Submission Rules: These will get interesting..

- If you are taking screenshots be sure to document each landing and flag well, submit in a folder/ imgur album so the thread doesn't get clogged with hundreds of screenshots.

- If you are filming a video be sure to document well and cutting repetitive parts is allowed but still document the landing and return to orbit.

- If you submit and it is accepted no matter how low the points are you a winner and will be put in the winner board below.

Tips

- CHECK YOUR ORBIT HEIGHT. In My submission my mothership almost slammed into Tylo's tallest mountain, it only missed by about 30 meters. Make sure for your ship's and your Kerbal's sake that your orbit is stable and safely above any mountains.

- Use fairings. To reduce part count I suggest not using a structural rig but rather the 3 meter fairings with interstate nodes for smaller landers. These keep the landers firmly attached and aren't as wobbly or part consuming at an exoskeleton-type structure would.

- Always pack a solar panel or RTG. Getting caught without power sucks and using f12 to fix it isn't allowed.

Winners

- @JacobJHC Video submission  10 Tylo Landings, 1 launch, only landed 9 Kerbals, one went twice - 64.5 Points

@max_creative Made it. :D Let the lag spikes and crashes missions begin.

Edited by JacobJHC
Rules Updated

45 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

Scoring: The landers will receive a certain amount of points based on the celestial body they landed on. Kerbin does not count are a destination, go somewhere else.

- Laythe landers receive +5 points per lander (+7 points if the landers land on solid ground)

- Eve landers receive +20 points per lander

- Tylo landers receive +5 points per lander 

- Vall and Eeloo landers receive +3 points per lander

- Mun, Ike and Dres landers receive a +2 points per lander

- Bop, Pol, Gilly and Minmus receive +1 point per lander

- Duna landers receive +4 points per lander

- Moho landers receive a +6 per lander

- Every Kerbal landed and returned to Kerbin will receive +.5 points

- To find the score for the number of launches take the number of launches and divide 10 by that number. (For example if you had 4 launches divide 10 by 4 to get 2.5 and that's the amount of points you receive.

- At least 2 landers must be sent.

I wonder how many landers I can bring to the Eve system. If my design works, then 3 EAVs = 60 points. 30 Gilly landers = 30 points. 36 Kerbals (33 for landing and 3 for pilots) = 18 points. 10 / 5 = 2 points. 6 Minmus landers = 6 points. 

60 + 30 + 18 + 2 + 6 = 116. Of course, I'm probably going to crash my computer about 10 times this mission if it ever gets off the ground. Which it probably won't until about v6 or 7...

57 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

:D Let the lag spikes and crashes missions begin.

I probably have just guaranteed 30 minute lag spikes and lots and lots of crashes by taking on this challenge.

If you could launch a fleet that would reduce the lag, but that isn't allowed. It would count as different missions running at the same time at the same place, right? Also, if that's true, docking with a ship that isn't part of your mission is banned right? Otherwise you could rendezvous and get more landers and fuel. 

So I think docking with a ship that isn't part of your mission after you have left Kerbin's SoI should be banned. Right? 

Here is my submission. I sent 10 landers to Tylo so +5(10). I forgot to land one of the Kerbals (Bill went twice) so +4.5 and I did it in 1 launch so +10. This makes my final score 64.5 points.

8 hours ago, max_creative said:

If you could launch a fleet that would reduce the lag, but that isn't allowed. It would count as different missions running at the same time at the same place, right? Also, if that's true, docking with a ship that isn't part of your mission is banned right? Otherwise you could rendezvous and get more landers and fuel. 

So I think docking with a ship that isn't part of your mission after you have left Kerbin's SoI should be banned. Right? 

Good point, I should put that ISRU isn't allowed. If you send a fleet, each mission will count as a different submission. I agree with the docking thing. Before leaving Kebrin your ship must be fully built and in a circular orbit. Once Kerbin's SOI has been left no docking can occur unless it is between lander and mothership. When you return to Kerbin ships may be launched to bring the Kerbals back to the surface.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.