Etiquette of moving to a game new version

Martian Emigrant

Clearly, you have to finish the save. 'Finish' means visit every body with a Kerbal once, get them all home, and complete whatever other plans you had for the save. (This is the real reason modders take a while to update their mods; they're busy cleaning up their saves.) Otherwise the crack team of Squad's Save Morality Enforcers (SSME) will come to your house, confiscate your computer, and intern you in the local computer gaming shop until you manage.

It's awful. You have to subsist on Doritos and Bawls.

1 hour ago, Jovus said:

Clearly, you have to finish the save. 'Finish' means visit every body with a Kerbal once, get them all home, and complete whatever other plans you had for the save. (This is the real reason modders take a while to update their mods; they're busy cleaning up their saves.) Otherwise the crack team of Squad's Save Morality Enforcers (SSME) will come to your house, confiscate your computer, and intern you in the local computer gaming shop until you manage.

It's awful. You have to subsist on Doritos and Bawls.

I had to look-up "Bawls". Sounds bad....

I'll plead insanity.

ME

I create a new career when the new version comes out, slowly re-adding my mods until I can safely copy my old save to the new install.  If it gets to that point and I am not too far along in my new career, I will transition, otherwise, I will leave my old save behind and just stick with the new one.

I sill have all of my old installs except one or two where I messed them up(as in partially installed/deleted mods that cause problems) that may have been deleted.

Of course as RoverDude reworked his USI mods for 1.2, my 1.1 save, which made it all the way up to 1.1.3 will finally be abandoned.

That is why I tried to bring everyone home(more or less.  One ISRU enabled ship had a bad ejection from Jool(Not enough fuel to capture at Kerbin, possibly even if fully fueled) and had to divert to Duna where fuel and life support got refilled, but Duna and Kerbin are currently in an awful position for a transit, so with plenty of food and fuel, I just assumed that they waited for a good window and headed home themselves while I started up the 1.2 pre release.  Getting the capture at Duna, then getting refueled by the fuel station drone so that it could land on Ike were the hard parts, followed by getting the drone back to the ground on Ike with no fuel margin because the Kerbaled craft was given all of the safety margin.  After that it is just routine ISRU and planetary transfer with a ship that has fuel and ore tanks designed for a much larger transit) 

I tend to play the pre releases and also have some mod free sandbox saves, which are full of weird stuff. If I want to begin an "epic" save I start career mode off and merge all the ships floating around in these saves to give me stuff to find from a couple of years ago that I don't even remember building!

Is 1.2 really worth giving up ~60 mods and a career that was about 4 in-game years in? The only thing about 1.13 that I was really hoping for a fix on were landing gear and it sounds like that wasn't really fixed after all. Not to mention, RemoteTech is one of my favorite mods and the new Squad version of RemoteTech doesn't really sound 'better.'

Been too busy and haven't played the game in a couple months, so it isn't like I am burning to make a decisions; but I think I'll stick with 1.13 until most of the mods I use are updated to 1.2, not update to 1.2 and hope that most of the mods eventually update to 1.2.

ADDIT: of course, the other thing you could do is copy a second instance of the entire game KSP directory before you update from Steam. Rename/reposition it before you let Steam have its biannual access to the internet, and then you can just play multiple instances of the game . . .

Edited by Diche Bach

On 10/15/2016 at 2:00 PM, Martian Emigrant said:

So I dismissed the ones who had never been anywhere. Made all the ones I want to keep assigned (In a big compartment on the runway) so they’d be easy to find in the quicksave.

Copied them and pasted them in my new career and made them available.

It's not happy about it..

144 kerbals?  Gross.  :P

On 10/16/2016 at 2:04 AM, AbacusWizard said:

I'm thinking about starting a completely new career save... but copying my one favorite interplanetary flagship (empty, of course) from the old persistent file and pasting into the brand-new one, in orbit around (for instance) Minmus or Gilly or something. That way my new space program can have the thrill of discovering a high-tech ancient alien derelict, attempting to get to it with just the low technology they have so far, refuelling it, and taking it out for a test drive...

I think you mean joy-ride. XD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.