Best Stock Cargo SSTO's

You might be waiting a long time.

Very few SSTO are capable of returning from Duna surface, and that's with no cargo.

BTW by "heavy" I take it you mean with the mk3 diameter cargo bay, which weighs 6.5 tons EMPTY?

My prediction, is that any craft that can do this, will weigh more than 30 times as much as their payload.   I mostly build mk1 and mk2 fuselage aircraft.  I've only just started moving up to the 100 ton weight class.    For now, this mk2 is my best effort -

https://kerbalx.com/AeroGav/Pentastar-Santos-II

20161014103310_1_zpsrmshba3i.jpg

20161014105818_1_zpspmhn9t0u.jpg

Put a small drill bit, small ISRU converter, 4 RTG, and small deployable radiator in there, it can reach Duna, then refuel itself. THat kit would use up about half the cargo space leaving the rest for science stuff or a mk1 crew cabin to give the little guys a private rest area.

BTW this is not strictly speaking an SSTO because the whiplash booster engines are designed to be jettisoned.  They only cost 2000 kredits each.  

ISRU is the key to going long distances in a spaceplane.   If you can reach Minmus , you can get to anywhere except Eve or Moho with a few refuelling stops.

Edited by AeroGav

Note that SSTO is not the same as single stage... I have plenty of designs that single stage to orbit, and then stage to get to the next location (with stages released in LKO recovered back at KSC).

But really... this is just a challenge for a single stage cargo craft that carries ISRU equipment and can get to minmus, and has some chutes or retrorockets to make a duna landing easier.

9 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

, and has some chutes or retrorockets to make a duna landing easier.

My favoured approach is a combo of generous wing area,  vernier thrusters configured as lift engines, and strong gear.

I don't know why you'd want to fly cargo to Duna surface.   The spaceplane that brought it is more mobile than a rover.  An ISRU system on a spaceplane that can reposition itself as needed to support operations elsewhere is better than a fixed mining colony.

If I wanted to build a static base for the hell of it, rather than packaging inside mk3 cargo bay,  i would

1) build a rapier/nerv spaceplane that's stable on its own

2) attach my 2.5m science lab/hab module(s) to the front with a decoupler.  To stop this making the thing nose heavy, add sufficient wings to the science lab/hab to offset their mass

3) launch to kerbin orbit, raise the AP to just below the point where it leaves Kerbin SOI, but have the PE only just above the atmo.  Separate the two halves.

4) the rear, stto half, makes a small retro burn at AP to bring PE inside kerbin's atmosphere and aerobrakes back down.

5) the front bit makes a small burn at PE to complete ejection from Kerbin and start the transfer manuver to duna.  It uses it's wings to glide to the landing site.  The front bit can have a small cheap LF engine for this

You see, I recently made a small space station (lab, hab, cupola) and got it to orbit very successfully by just sticking some wings and engines on the side.  Putting the whole thing inside  a mk3 cargo bay would take a huge  SSTO.

20161013092500_1_zpsyz5rm6ro.jpg

20161020072226_1_zpsqc10uu10.jpg

https://kerbalx.com/AeroGav/flylab2

Would refuelling in Kerbin orbit be allowed before flying onwards?  If yes then my Moonraker v C8B should be able to make it back.  It has a rover with large ISRU and drill size but trades it off for a smaller rocket, RCS, and ore holding tanks so it works better when docked back with the ship. The rover also carries the giant prospecting scanner, narrow band scanner, and surface scanning module. This MK3 sized ship fits all this while being able to do VTOL briefly but enough to take off from areas with no runways or clear hilly areas and reach Kerbin orbit.

Note that I only need this for minimus now, but I'm going to need it for duna next. the cargo will be about 10 tons, and I can refuel (evenutally at minimus/duna) 

10 minutes ago, evader said:

Would refuelling in Kerbin orbit be allowed before flying onwards?  If yes then my Moonraker v C8B should be able to make it back.  It has a rover with large ISRU and drill size but trades it off for a smaller rocket, RCS, and ore holding tanks so it works better when docked back with the ship. The rover also carries the giant prospecting scanner, narrow band scanner, and surface scanning module. This MK3 sized ship fits all this while being able to do VTOL briefly but enough to take off from areas with no runways or clear hilly areas and reach Kerbin orbit.

I would let it, but im not very good at docking in space. Only did it once- Vinhero100

Edited by Vinhero100

https://kerbalx.com/NoobTool/Czar-Galactica-Mk-3-EX

I haven't actually flown this particular one to Duna... yet. I did fly the passenger variant there and back though. This one should theoretically be more capable. I know I stated in my original post in the spacecraft exchange and on the Kerbalx page for the craft that 180 tons is the max payload to orbit, but after re-balancing fuel and tweaking my ascent profile slightly I just flew 6 full orange tanks each with docking ports on both ends (218.6tons) to a 100km circular orbit with plenty of fuel left for the return. I'll try to get some images and brief mission report up in the next few days. I've got to get to bed.

2WbuhAY.jpg

11 hours ago, AeroGav said:

I don't know why you'd want to fly cargo to Duna surface.   The spaceplane that brought it is more mobile than a rover.  An ISRU system on a spaceplane that can reposition itself as needed to support operations elsewhere is better than a fixed mining colony.

If I wanted to build a static base for the hell of it, rather than packaging inside mk3 cargo bay,  i would

2) attach my 2.5m science lab/hab module(s) to the front with a decoupler.  To stop this making the thing nose heavy, add sufficient wings to the science lab/hab to offset their mass

3) launch to kerbin orbit, raise the AP to just below the point where it leaves Kerbin SOI, but have the PE only just above the atmo.  Separate the two halves.

4) the rear, stto half, makes a small retro burn at AP to bring PE inside kerbin's atmosphere and aerobrakes back down.

5) the front bit makes a small burn at PE to complete ejection from Kerbin and start the transfer manuver to duna.  It uses it's wings to glide to the landing site.  The front bit can have a small cheap LF engine for this

You see, I recently made a small space station (lab, hab, cupola) and got it to orbit very successfully by just sticking some wings and engines on the side.  Putting the whole thing inside  a mk3 cargo bay would take a huge  SSTO.

Well, there's not much point in surface bases at all.... but... the SSTO you described can't refuel other things landed on the surface, and doesn't have its own lab, and can't really move to other biomes where there is no ore (I've had the entire biomes of duna have 0% ore before).

Also, the SSTO doesn't need to be huge if the surface base is modular.

This was from 1.1... I'm sure it could be improved to take advantage of 1.2 changes:

Spoiler

The mining module:

PLQll5V.png

Q3yuGTz.png

The complete surface base (its a pretty standard base, with some changes to its power supply for each destination... like no solar for laythe and instead it has modded fuel cells that just use intake Air and LF instead of LF and Oxidizer)

CpZQ8JO.png

OENuo74.png

The base with a kerbin -> Mun surface single stage craft. The orange tank module of the base can claw/dock with the front port of the spaceplane and fuel it up for it to continue to laythe, return to kerbin, fly to other biomes, whatevr is needed.

The completed base next to the older heavy duty ISRU craft:

07w3ToA.png

In an earlier stage of construction before the LabHab module was brought to the surface:

RxafcMX.png

An early duna SSTO variant for testing the ability to take a 40 ton payload to the surface and back up again... twin aerospikes proved to be insufficient for forward thrust:

fDMamG9.png

An improved version, with twin skippers and twin nervs for horizontal thrust:

bA3g4rS.png

Its got a full VTOL system... I was thinking of addint braking chutes or landing chutes, but I wanted it to be able to operate remotely without chute repacks

VdQkC30.png

BrCryV3.png

It was a single stage to kerbin orbit, at which point the airbreathing engine pods decoupled (the pods were essentially mini spaceplanes, but with lots of tank volume and low wing area), then it continued to duna on its own power. With the first module being the ISRU module, it could return to kerbin, but I don't think those airliner wings would survive reentry without a major retroburn.

If you make a modular surface base, you can have a reasonable size single stage spaceplane transport it around the surface, or leave one module in one place (like the fuel truck in a place with no ore as a depot, the lab in another biome for new science collection, and the ISRU somewhere else with a high ore concentration).

And if you want, you can even move your entire surface base to a new world, without the inefficiency of the added dry mass of wings and airbreathing engines (requires a seperate tug and landing vehicle- although its fairly easy to add enough fuel and thrust to the modules to allow them to self land on low gravity airless bodies)

I have one that can go to the Mun and back. I haven't tested it for Duna yet since I don't know the DV in LKO. But it can take a smallish rover to the Mun and Minimus without mining. I was pretty proud of it when I made it as my second spacecraft in 1.2.

Fire

On 10/23/2016 at 5:30 PM, AeroGav said:

My favoured approach is a combo of generous wing area,  vernier thrusters configured as lift engines, and strong gear.

20161013092500_1_zpsyz5rm6ro.jpg

20161020072226_1_zpsqc10uu10.jpg

https://kerbalx.com/AeroGav/flylab2

I dont acctually want to bring a rover. I want to bring heavy, 2.5 meter cargo. I will try to reduce wheight as much as possible.

Edit: Ohhh you werent talking about me werent you.. sorry.

Edited by Vinhero100

1 hour ago, Vinhero100 said:

NoobTool, I'm sorry, your SSTO design is perfect, but it lags alot. Im going to try mine then AreoGravs. My prossecer isnt the best, and I have lots of other mods installed.

Glad you like it, sorry it won't work out for you. It does have a pretty high part count, and taxes my system as well.

5 hours ago, Vinhero100 said:

Note: How do i post crafts?

I would highly recommend setting up an account at kerbalx.com. Great craft-sharing site created by katateochi. Well laid out, easy to use, lots of tools and features.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.