[Minimum KSP: 1.12.2] Heisenberg - Airships Part Pack

Angelo Kerman

On 30/10/2016 at 9:15 PM, sirrliv said:

On a similar note, I found this image of the first American rigid airship, USS Shenandoah, which clearly shows her lower rudder fin to be cut off so that it does not extend below the envelop, having a straight edge rather than curved. I can imagine it's a pain to make a new part like this, but it may be worth looking into, either as an entirely new piece or perhaps as a "MeshSwitch" variant (I believe the term is).

USS_Shenandoah.jpg

I'm also quite impressed and intrigued by your concept for the flight deck parts. That's roughly what I thought you meant, but I wasn't so sure after you said that steampunk was not an aim of yours. I've tried building something like that myself a few times using a combination of HL's envelop parts and the Mk.IV hull pieces. Will these only be for runways, or will we eventually see additional cargo bays or even passenger cabins atop our airships?

Finally, also on the sort of "flying aircraft carrier" note, I recall experiments by the US Navy with their later airships USS Akron and USS Macon that involved fitting them with this sort of catchment trapeze system extending from beneath the airship, thus allowing small aircraft to dock and be launched from the ship. The idea was that these airships would act as reconnaissance for the ships below, able to use their spotter planes to scan hundreds of square miles of ocean at a time. I know this is especially ambitious, and I expect with the scale you're talking about including actual hangar pieces would be impossible, but might such a trapeze be conceivable in the distant future? This is something else I've experimented with, again using the Mk.IV parts as the hangar with KAS winches, but have yet to be able to design an airplane small enough to fit inside and still be flyable.

F9C-2_Sparrowhawk_fighter.jpg

Reminds me of the old Microsoft game Crimson Skies ! Airship aircraft carriers with wynches to drop the planes instead of launching them on a flight deck.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

The hangar deck does have a ModuleCargoBay on it. If you open the bay and stick a flight deck on it then it won't shield parts.

Heisenberg 2.10 is now available:

- Recompiled for KSP 1.4.1
- Removed deprecated parts.

Grabbed the hangar deck but just flipped it upside down and didn't add the flight deck. Just had to open the doors, lower the plane and launch though when tucked away and covered it still bounced. Any tips on stopping that?

Edited by Dark_Derp
Messed up

I just had an idea. The Interstellar Endurance mod features a small variant of the Ranger called the Viper, it seems ti could make a good plane starting from one of these  airships in Eve's atmosphere... However there is no attach point on the Viper to attach deparator or docking port...

I have a question, does it still need Hooligan airships and firepsitter to work since those aren't updated to KSP 1.4 yet?

Edited by Quoniam Kerman

In 1.4.1, the HL-10 nuclear gyro ring is not generating power....  And no controls for the reactor or nuclear fuel levels appear either.

yrU29ba.png

I tried this in an install with nothing but Heisenberg and it's dependencies, the log file is below.

<deleted file link because I accidentally overwrote it>

While browsing the above log, I saw an entry "needs Buffalo"....  installed Buffalo and there was no no change in the symptoms.

Thanks!

Edited by DerekL1963

4 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

In 1.4.1, the HL-10 nuclear gyro ring is not generating power....  And no controls for the reactor or nuclear fuel levels appear either.

yrU29ba.png

I tried this in an install with nothing but Heisenberg and it's dependencies, the log file is below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9hni63f5d56zmm/KSP.log?dl=0

While browsing the above log, I saw an entry "needs Buffalo"....  installed Buffalo and there was no no change in the symptoms.

Thanks!

The Nuclear Gryo needs either Community Resource Pack installed, or to be used in Classic Stock play mode. Do you have either of those?

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

The Nuclear Gryo needs either Community Resource Pack installed, or to be used in Classic Stock play mode. Do you have either of those?

I play my airships in a separate install, so it was a clean install of Heisenberg, Firespitter, and Hooligan in Lite Blue mode.  Swapped to Classic Stock and restarted the game - no change, still no reactor controls or nuclear fuel level.  (Though oddly enough, SAFER did work.  It had two "start reactor" buttons though, only one of which did anything.)  I rebuilt my test rig from scratch each time just to be sure.

If I download this mod from the links you provided, will it work with KSP 1.3.1? I did not update my game when 1.4. came out, because I didn't want to cause issues on my career save.

Edited by Ixamus

10 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

I play my airships in a separate install, so it was a clean install of Heisenberg, Firespitter, and Hooligan in Lite Blue mode.  Swapped to Classic Stock and restarted the game - no change, still no reactor controls or nuclear fuel level.  (Though oddly enough, SAFER did work.  It had two "start reactor" buttons though, only one of which did anything.)  I rebuilt my test rig from scratch each time just to be sure.

Ok, I'd need to see some logs to know what's going on. It sounds like your game isn't switching the templates over. Are you playing the game in the install folder (Program Files directory on Windows)? Are you running Windows?

1 hour ago, Ixamus said:

If I download this mod from the links you provided, will it work with KSP 1.3.1? I did not update my game when 1.4. came out, because I didn't want to cause issues on my career save.

You'll want this one: https://github.com/Angel-125/Airships/releases/tag/v2.9.3

21 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Ok, I'd need to see some logs to know what's going on. It sounds like your game isn't switching the templates over. Are you playing the game in the install folder (Program Files directory on Windows)? Are you running Windows?

Yes, I'm running windows.  Here's my directory structure (different install, same general idea) happened to have this already uploaded from helping someone troubleshoot an MJ installation earlier in the week.

R33JlKs.png

Will get some logs later tonight.  Anything in particular you need beyond loading, trying to operate the test bed, and unloading?

13 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Ok, I'd need to see some logs to know what's going on. It sounds like your game isn't switching the templates over.

1) Installed a fresh download of the CRP, deleted the physics and parts data bases, opened and the closed the game.   

2) Opened it again, started a fresh sandbox save, opened the Wild Blue dialog from the Space Center screen and it was in "Lite Blue", selected "Classic Stock", had to click "OK" twice before the dialog closed, close game.

Logfile: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9hni63f5d56zmm/KSP.log?dl=0

3) Opened again, went into the new save and verified it was in "Classic Stock".  Built my test rig, sent it to the runway...

u7COAEd.png

Recovered vessel and exited the game.

Logfile: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7atbyru81tnay71/KSP00.log?dl=0

Hope this helps.

9 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

1) Installed a fresh download of the CRP, deleted the physics and parts data bases, opened and the closed the game.  

Can you elaborate on this? A fresh install should have Community Resource Pack unedited, then install Wild Blue mod. What should happen is that the game starts in CRP play mode. You're saying that it starts in Lite Blue though?

Edited by Angel-125

14 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Can you elaborate on this? A fresh install should have Community Resource Pack unedited, then install Wild Blue mod. What should happen is that the game starts in CRP play mode. You're saying that it starts in Lite Blue though?

I set it to "Lite Blue" when I first set up Wild Blue, and then discovered the problem which I reported on Thursday.  I've subsequently swapped modes several times before going through the procedure I reported on Fri. (The message you quoted.)

8 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

I set it to "Lite Blue" when I first set up Wild Blue, and then discovered the problem which I reported on Thursday.  I've subsequently swapped modes several times before going through the procedure I reported on Fri. (The message you quoted.)

Ah ok. In step one you also mentioned that you deleted physics and parts databases from CRP?

13 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Ah ok. In step one you also mentioned that you deleted physics and parts databases from CRP?

No, I deleted them from /ksp, letting them be rebuilt has sometimes cleared problems in the past.

Ok, now I think I understand.

You installed a fresh copy of Heisenberg and CRP. Play Mode is CRP at this point.

Next you changed to the Lite Blue play mode and restarted the game.

Finally, you changed to Classic Stock and restarted the game.

Does that sound right?

29 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Ok, now I think I understand.

You installed a fresh copy of Heisenberg and CRP. Play Mode is CRP at this point.

Next you changed to the Lite Blue play mode and restarted the game.

Finally, you changed to Classic Stock and restarted the game.

Does that sound right?

No.  I installed the latest version of Heisenberg Tuesday, at that time I set the mode to Lite Blue. 

On Thursday, I discovered and reported the bug.  Several mode switches later the reactor was still not operating properly in either Stock or Lite Blue modes.

On Friday, I installed a fresh copy of the CRP (Community Resource Pack), and when through collecting logs as described in Friday's post.

We're getting so many crossed wires here, I probably need to restart from zero.  Probably should have from the beginning,

Edited by DerekL1963

OK, starting from zero...

1) From-scratch fresh install of KSP 1.4.1, Heisenberg, Hooligan (.dll only), Firespitter (.dll only), Community Resource Pack

2) Opened a new save and Wild Blue popup popped up.  I can't recall if I clicked "OK" or "Cancel", but either way I did not change modes.

t8osI2D.png

3) Wild Blue difficulty settings

y4B41td.png

4) Created my standard test fixture in the SPH and "launched" it.  No reactor options on either SAFER or the Nuclear Gyro Ring.

Rzen5Tu.png

5) Backed out and exited the game.

Log file:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/kjhmrmr2qm1few6/KSP_1001.log?dl=0

19 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

1) From-scratch fresh install of KSP 1.4.1, Heisenberg, Hooligan (.dll only), Firespitter (.dll only), Community Resource Pack

2) Opened a new save and Wild Blue popup popped up.  I can't recall if I clicked "OK" or "Cancel", but either way I did not change modes.

t8osI2D.png

y4B41td.png

4) Created my standard test fixture in the SPH and "launched" it.  No reactor options on either SAFER or the Nuclear Gyro Ring.

Rzen5Tu.png

Ok So reactor works for me but with 3 running and absolutely nothing else on, they make 1.80 ec a second. Which is poop, so Ill assume its a bug.

@derek196

On 3/25/2018 at 4:38 PM, DerekL1963 said:

What version of ModuleManager do you have installed? The logs suggest that you don't have it:

Mod DLLs found:
Stock assembly: Assembly-CSharp v0.0.0.0
Firespitter v7.3.6354.39102
HLAirships v5.3.0.0
BARISBridge v1.0.0.0
MiniAVC v1.0.3.2
WildBlueTools v1.0.0.0
MiniAVC v1.0.3.2
KerbalActuators v1.0.0.0
MiniAVC v1.0.3.2
AirshipUtils v1.0.0.0

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.