Help: ModuleScienceConverter Settings

Kielm

ModuleScienceConverter appears to have a setting that has no effect. The setting

@scientistBonus

Appears to have zero impact on research rates in crewed labs. Using a five-star kerbal for testing, I would expect altering this value from 0.25 to (for example) 0.4 to show some change. It doesn't. Nor does changing it to 3.0. The other settings in this module are working as I want them to except for this one. It doesn't appear to affect either total science yield or science conversion per day. Tested in Science and Career games. Can anyone help please?

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleScienceConverter
		dataProcessingMultiplier = 0.5 // Multiplier to data processing rate and therefore science rate
		scientistBonus = 0.4	//Bonus per scientist star - need at least one! So 0.25x - 2.5x 
		researchTime = 6    //Larger = slower.  Exponential!
		scienceMultiplier = 4	//How much science does data turn into?
		scienceCap = 1000	    //How much science can we store before having to transmit?		
		powerRequirement = 10	//EC/Sec to research
		ConverterName = Research
		StartActionName = Start Research
		StopActionName = Stop Research
	}

Edited by Kielm

no the two work together. 

the scientist bonus in the converter im pretty sure its traits.vesselsciencereturn.modifiers * scientistbonus or something like that. 

heres what i set all mine too

Spoiler

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleScienceContainer
        reviewActionName = Review Data
        storeActionName = Store Experiments
        collectActionName = Take Data
        evaOnlyStorage = True
        storageRange = 2
        allowRepeatedSubjects = True
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleScienceLab
        containerModuleIndex = 0
        dataStorage = 75000
        crewsRequired = 1
        canResetConnectedModules = True
        canResetNearbyModules = True
        interactionRange = 5
        SurfaceBonus = 2
        ContextBonus = 2
        homeworldMultiplier = 3.14
        RESOURCE_PROCESS
        {
            name = ElectricCharge
            amount = 5
        }
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleScienceConverter
        dataProcessingMultiplier = 5 // Multiplier to data processing rate and therefore science rate
        scientistBonus = 2    //Bonus per scientist star - need at least one! So 0.25x - 2.5x 
        researchTime = 3        //Larger = slower.  Exponential!
        scienceMultiplier = 5    //How much science does data turn into?
        scienceCap = 375000        //How much science can we store before having to transmit?        
        powerRequirement = 5    //EC/Sec to research
        ConverterName = Research
        StartActionName = Start Research
        StopActionName = Stop Research
    }

so when you do this you HAVE to paste this in so the ModuleScienceContainer IS THE FIRST module otherwise it wont work because of the containerModuleIndex = 0

that gives the location of the data to be processed. 

so science multiplier is how much science a unit of data turns into. (my bad this is what i meant hehe)

so you see I have 75k for the data and 375k for the sciencecap since 5 x 75K is how much? hehe

so

container houses the data

lab houses the kerbal scientist and the parameters for how far the influence is on other sciencemodule bonuses for where the lab is located etc.

converter takes the data and turns it into science and sends it to the antenna to be xmitted back to KSC

im pretty sure thats how it works or close enough anyway. 

I play Sandbox with contracts (start a career, then hit the facility and technology buttons in the alt F12 menu) so I only need science to use for the training lab to level kerbals up. 

Edited by COL.R.Neville

Dataprocessingmultiplier affects the speed of science return, not the total. 

In your example, does changing the scientist bonus have any impact (in theory it should, but in tests it does not)? That was the original question. I have a working module, but changing this particular setting makes no difference. Other settings work as described, but not this one. If it's deprecated then that's fine, I'll have to write a plugin to work around it. But if it does work and I'm just doing it wrong, I'd like to figure out where.

scienceMultiplier  controls how much science data turns into.

like you said the   dataProcessingMultiplier but also the research time affect how fast it does it. there is also a weird diminishing return thing that happens as well, as the data amount gets lower the longer it takes to process into science. 

not sure where the skill bonuses come in now  they changed a bunch of the trait data. 

but looks like they arent so that explains that hehe. 

yeah i realized i put the datamultiplier instead of the sciencemultiplier in there hehe sorry bout that my brain outruns my fingers sometimes. 

Edited by COL.R.Neville

@COL.R.Neville

The result is the same. DataProcessingMultiplier is an oddity. It appears to govern the overall speed of science generation in a lab, but it's also scaled with total available dataStorage. I noticed this when trying to increase the data storage; the science rate goes up if you increase the data storage. But you can get around this by scaling the data processing multiplier back down. 

So if the original data storage is say, 1000, and the multiplier is 0.5, the result is 500. 

If you scale up the data storage to 10,000, you then have to drop the multiplier to 0.05 to retain the value of 500.

This is a little frustrating because it means that smaller amounts of data actually produce science much slower in a lab with increased data storage (it's less full). But hopefully, a working scientist bonus will help to alleviate this. 

Yep. The research time has the biggest effect by far. Dataprocessingmultiplier seems to affect how much of the data storage is operated on at a time. 

So a .5 multiplier means it'll take half of the available data (note: half of total possible data, not half of actual current data) and work it's magic on that half. You can artificially slow it down by turning the multiplier down, so a 0.05 multiplier on a data storage of 10k works the same as a 0.5 multiplier on a data storage of 1k.

I have no idea why that scale was chosen for research time, but as far as I know it's an integer too, so the current settings seem to be either 7/very slow or 6/very fast. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.