NASA video has clip showing KSP parts

Tyko

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

5 seconds later the woman says they're looking for "...many ways to make NASA safer..."

Yeah keep playing KSP and applying what you learn to NASA. Should be plenty safe :D

They've already figured out the basics...moar struts, moar boosters, F5 and F9...

An excellent video. Not sure if the KSP bit was either "oops, forgot I needed a segment for this, I'll just slap something together in KSP", or a deliberate bit of bait for KSP players.

I do appreciate the increased simulation efforts in design; that sort of approach can sort through a lot of obviously bad ideas and help narrow in on the final parameters at much reduced cost compared to running a bunch of experiments. I suspect part of the reason why they still do a few buckling experiments is just in case there's some phenomenon that hasn't been described before and is not modeled by the simulation; the chances of that are fairly small at this point in time, but when you're designing hugely expensive rockets, it pays to be careful.

The thing I find really funny is we know that it's KSP, but there are probably loads of people who've watched that and just assume that it's a clip from a bit of high precision NASA simulation software. 
Also, I'm sure I've seen that exact same clip used in another NASA video.

Looked like an earlier version of KSP. Still using rocket fuel tanks instead or plane jet fuel. (See what I did there?)

Anyways that is great!

Oh and remember the six words you never say at NASA!

Fire

Edited by Firemetal

3 hours ago, samstarman5 said:

It's rather cool to think that KSP is to rocket engineers what the Sims is to architects.  A cheap platform to put rough drafts of a design together on.  More or less what an outline is to an author.

Yes it would work for stuff like that, probably better for in space stuff like stations. 

Same as you can use sims to make an floor plan, it would not be something your sims could use however as they needed lots of room for the pathfinding mapping to avoid conflicts. 
Someone is putting something in the dishwacher, its blocked, let me wash the dishes in the bathroom sink upstairs. Someone is walking up the stairs, that blocks them so I put the dirty dishes in the hallway, now they block the door :)

Now where did they get that idea from? I've been doing that since I first started using orange tanks. :P

They must be watching me, hacking my computer. :confused:

...and the bit about technology that trickles down into products used by the general public; well, that sure wasn't with regard to batteries used in Samsung phones now was it.

Mr. Bossman walks around. “Hey, what's that on your screen, Thomlock?”

(Thomlock turns ash-white as he's caught in the act of playing KSP at work)

“Ehm... eh.. it’s a simulation, sir. Yes! A simulation! Of one of our new designs!”

“Ooh, excellent. Send me some video footage of that. We can use it in our upcoming episode of our Youtube series.”

“Ehm.. sure... will do...”

15 hours ago, Starman4308 said:

An excellent video. Not sure if the KSP bit was either "oops, forgot I needed a segment for this, I'll just slap something together in KSP", or a deliberate bit of bait for KSP players.

I do appreciate the increased simulation efforts in design; that sort of approach can sort through a lot of obviously bad ideas and help narrow in on the final parameters at much reduced cost compared to running a bunch of experiments. I suspect part of the reason why they still do a few buckling experiments is just in case there's some phenomenon that hasn't been described before and is not modeled by the simulation; the chances of that are fairly small at this point in time, but when you're designing hugely expensive rockets, it pays to be careful.

It would have been amusing if the KSP portion portrayed a ship wobbling due to lack of struts. Would have been appropriate for the topic.

Still, I too am very intrigued as to why they'd add that clip in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.