Mars Series

Atlas2342

On 12/1/2016 at 8:32 AM, tater said:

LOL, yep. I'm more in the deep space camp, I suppose. Mars has the problems of a decent sized planet with basically zero of the benefits.

Zero of the benefits? Really? 

-Subsurface and surface water ice 

-Atmosphere (not much, but still respectable) 

-CO2, which, combined with the water available, can make fuel 

-Volcanoes, Canyons, all that cool stuff 

-Terraformable in the far future

6 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

Zero of the benefits? Really? 

-Subsurface and surface water ice 

Water ice in objects that pass Earth. Easier to deal with.

-Atmosphere (not much, but still respectable) 

Like I said, not enough to matter (terminal velocity still very high). Provides no radiation protection. Wasn't on my list, but add no magnetic field.

-CO2, which, combined with the water available, can make fuel 

Carbon is unambiguously a plus, but volatiles are also present in some NEOs.

-Volcanoes, Canyons, all that cool stuff 

OK, it's pretty.

-Terraformable in the far future

The stunningly distant future. In any foreseeable future, all human habitation environments off the Earth will be 100% constructed, including their atmospheres, regardless of where they are.

what do you mean by "deep space faction"?

i suppose you mean living in o`neil style colonies or something of the sort, instead of planetary colonisation, right?

if so an o neil colony is an interessting design, but i personally think that mars is in a sense easier to realise since he provides many resources right on the spot like KAL said above

furthermore, what about gravity?

mars has at least a third of earths, thats more than any asteroid can say

and for the matter of radiation, even an o`neil colony would need appropriate shielding, wich in contrast to mars has to be built from scratch with a humongus ammount of material 

on mars you`d either use a lava tube (if existing) to set up your habitat, or you start digging or covering it in regolith like ESA and Roscosmos propose it for their moon base

compared to lifting gods know how many tons of regolith from the moon to an orbital construcion site it seems easyer to use some robot rovers to either dig a hole, or shovel it onto a structure

also like you said with water from earh passing objects, in a matter of cost its cheaper to use a robotic rover instead of a complete spacecraft to either mine on the spot or haul the object back to where it is needed

Mars' cool and science factors give it #1 in my book. 

A new episode of the Mars series aired a week ago, and another new one will air today. You know what that means: more Cinema Science Sinning!

Edited by KAL 9000

• 2 weeks later...

On episode 5.

I wish my biologists in Planetbase were as dedicated as Paul Richardson...alright, maybe not THAT dedicated.

I hope the doctor Amelie lives through all this...just because, no reason :rolleyes::kiss:

I like the portion talking about the Antarctic base and research expedition, as well as the Hawaii and Russian biosphere missions.

13 hours ago, Halfdan said:

well he was a nutball, and he started dropping bodies, just didnt think in that way, and that he would be among them

i just wonder, how they did not have an outer airlock there....

or automatic pressure doors between the different sections ...

In the 'control room' they realized what was going to happen well in advance. Why weren't the able to override the key lock? Without an airlock that door should have been locked.

Edit: More importantly; why was that door opening outward? It would have been physically impossible to open an inward door without equalizing the pressure first.

Edited by Tex_NL

The fall victim to the 1 atmosphere pressure difference somehow being "explosive" too. Only saw the last few minutes... silly. I'd like to set a compressor at 2 atmospheres, then show them that I can't hardly blow the cat hair off their trousers with it.

2 minutes ago, tater said:

The fall victim to the 1 atmosphere pressure difference somehow being "explosive" too. Only saw the last few minutes... silly. I'd like to set a compressor at 2 atmospheres, then show them that I can't hardly blow the cat hair off their trousers with it.

A tiny and narrow stream dissipates fast. Have a whole room full of air at the same pressure difference and open the door and I guarantee you you will NOT be standing. You'll be thrown across the next room.

On 12/02/2016 at 4:06 PM, tater said:

(snip)

I thought about it; see, those resources really are the big killer for asteroids. There's not much point in avoiding gravity wells if you still have to cross them both ways to resupply vitally important stuff, and other asteroids with important resources tend to be months or years away from your perspective (with few exceptions). I really don't feel that having the option of full gravity is enough to make up for those seriously punishing penalties, and the largest asteroids suffer from many of the problems that medium-sized moons do in regard to gravity so you don't win much.

My feeling is the opposite: that the main belt will remain a sideshow to the real event, namely Mars and the Jovian moons.

Edited by ElJugador

1 hour ago, Tex_NL said:

A tiny and narrow stream dissipates fast. Have a whole room full of air at the same pressure difference and open the door and I guarantee you you will NOT be standing. You'll be thrown across the next room.

A back of the envelope shows that assuming that greenhouse/hab was about 15x15m (3 m tall), it would take over 25 seconds to evacuate assuming I'm not missing something. It would be a breeze, certainly. Unsure past that. Air is what, 1.2kg/m3? So several hundred kg leaving a door-sized hole over >25 seconds. So several kg/s through a door. Door is what? 0.8x2m? 1.6 m2? Around 30 kg/s out the door. Next to the door that's something, elsewhere in the room? Not so much.

Edited by tater

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.