Particles emitting at 45 degree angle when not simulating world space?

Hi, folks.  I've been dinking around making my own flame effects for an engine model I've been working on. Everything seems to be what I expect until I uncheck "simulate world space" and then the rotation is wrong.

I have a root game object with part tools and an empty with the particle emitter script as it's only child.  The engine is an entirely separate game object.  With Simulate World Space checked:

gyUGBZJ.jpg    

With world space unchecked:

sdjg11T.jpg

Why does the direction of the emit change?

What's even weirder, to me, is that it to get it to emit in the expected direction, I have to rotate the X axis by 45 degrees, rather than 90.  If I set X axis to zero, the particles emit in exactly the opposite direction!

Thanks,
K

I guess this is just a weird thing about Unity, or something. I removed rotations and in both cases the particle effects are aligned as expected, just shooting out 90 from the way I am used to looking at parts.  Everything exports fine... I have to rotate and re-position the engine part 90 to work out the sizing, etc. which is annoying. But I did get my fx showing up in KSP which was the goal.

I'm not going to mark it solved.. maybe somebody has some insight as to why Unity acts like this. If so, I'd like to hear it.

Edited by Kurld
clarity

It's been a lot of fun to see come together and I've learned a lot about how to do stuff in Blender while working on it. Somebody else on the forums made the model several years ago (can't remember who) and said "do whatever you want with it."  Little did I know I'd get the F-1 fever... I've reworked/replaced 95% of it by now, comparing it to photos from all over. I didn't realize at first how much these things evolved over time.

One thing that I discovered once I started looking into it is that they actually insulated these engines a great deal for flight. All examples you see in museums and even in most photos, don't have that insulation in place, just the bracing and brackets to mount it. It's ironic that all the glorious detail folks have built into these models was actually almost completely obscured when these things were doing their jobs...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.