Suggestion About Parachutes

I always figured the parachutes were simply cut free (as they would be in real life - check out any images of Apollo capsules after splashdown and before recovery). Once the parachutes aren't attached any more then in gameplay terms they're not adding anything, so why not save a bit of graphical overhead and have them disappear?

Spacecraft recovery operations are abstracted away anyway in KSP so I'm afraid I really don't see any point in having the parachutes not disappear. Or at least I would put it a long way down my list of graphical improvements.

I think he must be playing pre-1.0...  You don't know what you're missing.  Where did you get KSP?  If you got it from steam it should auto-update, if it's from the store you need to manually update from there.

On 2016-11-30 at 9:47 AM, KSK said:

I always figured the parachutes were simply cut free (as they would be in real life - check out any images of Apollo capsules after splashdown and before recovery). Once the parachutes aren't attached any more then in gameplay terms they're not adding anything, so why not save a bit of graphical overhead and have them disappear?

Spacecraft recovery operations are abstracted away anyway in KSP so I'm afraid I really don't see any point in having the parachutes not disappear. Or at least I would put it a long way down my list of graphical improvements.

They aren't cut free. They just disappear. It's as if they had some stowing function.

You can make other flights before you send an engineer to pack them and they are good as new.

So you don't see them but they are there to repack later if need be.

ME

I wanted this for a long time.... and with 1.0... I got it... braking chutes are now standard equipment on many of my planes.

Spoiler

QVI4EiZ.png

tSOz531.png

7LKjt0T.png

S3XnaD5.png

akhX6tm.png

PMFJD2u.png

QwW8oqh.png

That was after a bug where it kept saying the wing was colliding with the launchpad... but you can see those drogue chutes are working even after contact

The parachute cutting function is a parameter tied to velocity, not ground contact. If you land a pod on a steep slope your parachute will remain active as you roll/tumble down. I suspect that in your situation, you are touching down slow enough and level enough to stop completely, causing you to lose your parachutes. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.