Vortex - Light SSTO

IMPORTANT: LANDING GEAR/DROP TANK FIX FOUND PLEASE ENSURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST VERSION.

CRAFT FILE:

https://goo.gl/bXzxYI

UPDATES:

20/12/16 - Drop tanks removed due to bug. LF model added to archive.

26/12/16 - Drop Tank/Landing Gear Fix Applied.

11/1/17 - Visual Update.

RECOMMENDED MOD:

Presenting the Vortex, an extremely compact light weight SSTO that proves you don't have to go big to go far. :wink:

mdG4H1C.jpg

Using its drop-tanks the craft puts out a very respectable 2.5k at LKO which is enough for Munar missions or even interplanetary trips!

yoaLjOC.jpg

Even without the droptanks the Vortex can still fly to Minmus and return to Kerbin as a pure SSTO

U6Hyo9u.jpg

The top docking port is planted smack bang on the center of mass allowing the craft to be refueled, transported or even salvaged with ease.

DdCm5vc.jpg

Like the Storm and Squall that preceded it the Vortex features smooth, agile handling and is very easy to pilot. :)

kGPupqC.jpg

It borrows the light weight thermal protection from the Catalyst which is fortunate as this plane can go very, very fast indeed!

g0WGBMY.jpg

In addition to the standard single seat version there's also a duel seat edition allowing your Kerbals to take a friend into deep space.

d6DM9kh.jpg

CONTROLS:

1 - Toggle Engine

2 - Switch Engine Modes

0 - Toggle Cockpit Doors/Speed Brake

ABORT - Undock Top Docking Port

PILOT NOTES:

A Joystick is highly recommended for this design and KSP in general.

Once safely out the atmosphere or parked up ensure the cockpit doors are left open so the solar panels aren't deprived of sunlight.

The Rapier engine doesn't have an alternator so try and conserve electricity where possible and only use the landing lights when needed.

The design features a very streamlined, low drag profile which can make slowing down in the atmosphere a problem! Start by deploying the landing gear as you reenter and use this to help slow the craft to subsonic speeds after which the cockpit doors can be opened to further slow the aircraft. Just ensure you close the cockpit doors before landing!

As you approach the runway it's good practice to limit the engine output to 30%.

Studies have shown the craft is 46.7% cooler with the drop-tanks detached but this is entirely optional.

Recommended cruising altitude for LF model is 25,000m with speed limited to 1728m/s.

STANDARD ASCENT:

This aircraft really is a doddle to get to orbit, follow these instructions for perfect results every time.

Stage once to pre-heat the engine, board your Kerbal, activate SAS and close the cockpit doors.

Once the thrust maxes out stage again to release the launch clamps.

Once you leave the runway fold the gear in and immediately pitch up to 5* above the horizon.

If using Pilot Assist (recommended) set the craft's heading to 90*.

Leaving your hands off the stick let the craft build speed and pitch itself up to 10* above the horizon.

Keep the nose pointed just below the 10* line by periodically tapping the F key.

Once your apoapsis reaches around 81k press 1 to kill the engine and set the craft to point prograde.

Once safely out the atmosphere open the cockpit doors.

This profile will leave you approx 50 units of LF for landing.

DROP TANK FREE ASCENT:

Follow the same steps as the standard ascent only ensure you pitch up to 10* straight away once leaving the runway.

This profile will leave you approx 20 units of LF for landing.

Enjoy! :D

Cupcake...

KQZlaVV.jpg

Edited by Cupcake...

33 minutes ago, Speed_Kerman said:

Where are you hiding the oxidizer on there? I sense some trademark "Cupcake Clip-Fu" here...

It didn't look very nice with all those Round 8 tanks so I slid the NCS adapters over them, hope this doesn't upset the purists among you too much. :P

KyC3aRa.jpg

In other news the duel seat D model is ready for your downloading pleasure, there's a slight drop in DV (around 50m/s) but nothing too major. :wink:

c6By0Vy.jpg

Have fun out there! :)

Cupcake...

• 2 weeks later...

Heh all,

I've added a LF only version of the Vortex to the archive. This craft is designed to fly very fast, very high and will let two Kerbals cruise at speeds in excess of Mach 5 with enough fuel to circumnavigate Kerbin. :cool:

jXIYcfX.jpg

For cruising I'd recommend using Pilot Assist to hold the plane at an altitude of 27,990. You'll also want to restrict the speed to 1620m/s otherwise you'll be flying so fast the engine will start cutting out!

5MP0VVX.jpg

As I mentioned on the main page I've had to remove the drop-tanks on the Vortex for now due to a bug. As soon as I can diagnose the issue I'll let you all know but in the meantime this is a good opportunity to practice those Mimmus runs. :)

Cupcake... 

11 hours ago, ottothesilent said:

Really nice build, and happy holidays to you, sir!

And to you kind cosmonaut. :)

In other good news I've finally found a fix for the landing gear/drop tank bugs that were plaguing the Vortex, to anyone that downloaded the original files please ensure you grab the latest versions!  :wink:

d6DM9kh.jpg

Enjoy! :D

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

8 hours ago, Redshift OTF said:

OK, what's the blob on the end of the nose cone for? Is it an RCS thrusters? Does it help with heat or drag?

It helps with heat, it's got a tolerance of 2600k which is more then most of the aero parts. :wink:

Cupcake...

30 minutes ago, Redshift OTF said:

Oh I see. Interesting little trick that! I might have to use it myself. :) If it is offset into the nose cone does it have the same effect or does the game take into account the position of the thruster rather than what it is attached to?

It doesn't matter what it's attached to as long as it's at the front of the craft. :wink:

Cupcake...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.