Mission idea: Kerbal Dakar 2017

Triop

5 minutes ago, hidude398 said:

Nope. Still nothing. If you give me the coordinates, though, I can hyperedit my Kerbals to each location and plant a flag.

That is a problem, but I do have the coordinates:

Spoiler

(stage names are not correct here )

eOpCK3X.png

G3JiHFH.png

Xs6qV0q.png

pr43qR8.png

5jDZ4w2.png

sa8D5RO.png

aGL9Vas.png

@Triop, 2 3 questions. 

First, are the pictures in the OP the final rally paths, or have they been changed? I remember reading something about the paths changing a while ago.

Second, is it ok if after finishing a stage, I quicksave and then immediately quickload? This resets the mission clock I believe, and it will make timing each stage much easier.

EDIT: Also, we have a week for each stage, right? 

Edited by TheEpicSquared

Just now, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

Hey dude, are you familiar with the layout of the persistent.sfs? Can you confirm the flags are there in the file? 

Yup. I bring Jeb back from the dead a lot b/c I'm too lazy to wait 2hrs. They're all there, but they're all missing a landedAt=tag. They even have the data for the lat/long locations. I think something must've changed in the way the persistent.sfs was read between 1.2.1 and 1.2.2.

25 minutes ago, hidude398 said:

Yup. I bring Jeb back from the dead a lot b/c I'm too lazy to wait 2hrs. They're all there, but they're all missing a landedAt=tag. They even have the data for the lat/long locations. I think something must've changed in the way the persistent.sfs was read between 1.2.1 and 1.2.2.

Backup the file, then try landedAt = KSC

EDIT: see hidudes post below, this didn't work for him. 

Edited by DrunkenKerbalnaut

10 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

@Triop, 2 3 questions. 

First, are the pictures in the OP the final rally paths, or have they been changed? I remember reading something about the paths changing a while ago.

Second, is it ok if after finishing a stage, I quicksave and then immediately quickload? This resets the mission clock I believe, and it will make timing each stage much easier.

EDIT: Also, we have a week for each stage, right? 

final rally paths:

CTy1nJq.png

Is it ok if after finishing a stage, I quicksave and then immediately quickload? This resets the mission clock I believe.

Is that a fact ? I never use quicksave so I have no idea ?

If so, yes why not, but it opens more ways to cheat...

As for the rally, it starts Jan 1st and ends Feb 1st so you have 4 weeks to complete all stages.

Reminder:

If you crash during a stage and you can't repair you have to start the whole rally again, meaning starting at stage 1.

This is something I can't check when you use quicksaves.

But to be honest I don't care anymore, if people feel the need to cheat go ahead and be proud of what you did.

Edited by Triop

It still showed 0 flights active in the menu. I'm going to try installing the map then restarting the game. With the amount of mods I have installed, this is gonna take a minute.

Guess I'm just editing the flags in, they won't load. I'll make a 1.2.1 save file and dropbox it.

Edited by hidude398

17 minutes ago, hidude398 said:

It still showed 0 flights active in the menu. I'm going to try installing the map then restarting the game. With the amount of mods I have installed, this is gonna take a minute.

Guess I'm just editing the flags in, they won't load. I'll make a 1.2.1 save file and dropbox it.

Why not install 1.2.2 on a separate location and use it only for this challenge ?

Just now, Triop said:

Why not install 1.2.2 on a separate location and use it only for this challenge ?

The crapiest of internet connections is mine to behold... at about .15 mbs, downloading KSP takes days, and I'll be away for three days starting tomorrow. If I want to have a vehicle ready to rumble by the 1st, I'll need it built and tested today. Not to mention the dropped downloads that my ISP seems to not care about. All in all, I'm just another brick in the wall. So it's faster for me to just edit the flags in.

26 minutes ago, hidude398 said:

Really quickly though, are parachutes allowed? Looking at some of those drops in stage 3, they could be incredibly useful for getting down without blowing up.

I believe Triop himself joked about that early on, but I don't remember a ruling. Out of curiosity, which chutes were you planning to use? I considered it, but found them too slow to deploy except on that massive drop on stage 2 or 3. 

Just now, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

I believe Triop himself joked about that early on, but I don't remember a ruling. Out of curiosity, which chutes were you planning to use? I considered it, but found them too slow to deploy except on that massive drop on stage 2 or 3. 

Probably the Mk.12-R Radial Drogues or the Mk2 R radials, depending on how testing goes. I'm building an electric rover right now, and the idea is to either (a) slide down the cliffside on drogues and brakes or (b) use a rocket to speed up before doing a Dukes of Hazard-ish "takeoff" from a ramp in order to fling myself as far out across the cliff as possible before deploying the chutes and floating to the ground.

1 hour ago, hidude398 said:

The crapiest of internet connections is mine to behold... at about .15 mbs, downloading KSP takes days, and I'll be away for three days starting tomorrow. If I want to have a vehicle ready to rumble by the 1st, I'll need it built and tested today. Not to mention the dropped downloads that my ISP seems to not care about. All in all, I'm just another brick in the wall. So it's faster for me to just edit the flags in.

Funny; I say that almost every day :wink:

@Triop quick question about mods. If a rover is made out of pure stock parts, but has some appearance only mods would that still be counted as stock. (mods I'm thinking of are indicator lights - adds LED lights to batteries, SAS modules and NEBULA decals - adds custom stickers to add to the craft).

Edited by katateochi

22 minutes ago, katateochi said:

@Triop quick question about mods. If a rover is made out of pure stock parts, but has some appearance only mods would that still be counted as stock. (mods I'm thinking of are indicator lights - adds LED lights to batteries, SAS modules and NEBULA decals - adds custom stickers to add to the craft).

I would like to consider a stock build car using the indicator lights mod as stock, but technically it wouldn't be, would it ?

I don't know, it's about how you want to do this, scared off flipper flipping over ? use SAS. Like stickers ? Stick 'em.

Edited by Triop

8 minutes ago, Triop said:

I would like to consider a stock build car using the indicator lights mod as stock, but technically it wouldn't be, would it ?

I don't know, it's about how you want to do this, scared off flipper flipping over ? use SAS. Like stickers ? Stick 'em.

I do want to use indicator lights and decals, but I don't want to end up in the mod category just for having those (as my rover is entirely stock parts).  I'd say that if you take away a mod and the craft still functions exactly the same as it does with it (ie in the case of indicator lights) then I'd consider it stock. but lets see what everyone else thinks? Same with the decals (if anything adding decals adds a small bit of weight so V slightly slows the rover down). 

11 minutes ago, katateochi said:

I do want to use indicator lights and decals, but I don't want to end up in the mod category just for having those (as my rover is entirely stock parts).  I'd say that if you take away a mod and the craft still functions exactly the same as it does with it (ie in the case of indicator lights) then I'd consider it stock. but lets see what everyone else thinks? Same with the decals (if anything adding decals adds a small bit of weight so V slightly slows the rover down). 

I will give you your own category : cars that are made stock but use light and sticker mods.

I'm sorry guys, but some problems you give me are just insane.

I know putting up a WIP challenge can be confusing and rules are not clear yet but some things are just to obvious.

I just want you guys to have fun designing, sharing information, making friends, showing and racing your magnificent machine hoping to even make it through the 7 stages.

I want to read the stories, see the pictures, I don't care about times or mods beeing used.

For me that is the real spirit of Dakar.

I'm a big fan of "stock" meaning "only stock parts" because it vastly reduces the arguments that might arise. Same for ModuleManager scripts, I would consider those "non-stock". That makes things abundantly clear in the rules.

19 minutes ago, katateochi said:

ok that's cool, I'll run without the visual mods. (or I might do it twice, once without and once with...to get nice screenshots!)

You don't get the point. I want you to use the mods, I want to see those nice screenshots.

But why is this category thing so important to you ? Have you even driven all stages ? Maybe you won't even make it ?

source.gif

This is what I will do, I will wait until 1st Feb and then use the results everybody send in to see what categories ar needed.

Edited by Triop

32 minutes ago, regex said:

I'm a big fan of "stock" meaning "only stock parts" because it vastly reduces the arguments that might arise. Same for ModuleManager scripts, I would consider those "non-stock". That makes things abundantly clear in the rules.

Although I hate the idea of people editing a cfg file, they are working on solving a problem. Kudos for the extra effort. ^_^

But it won't be stock.

Note:

This rally is about being smart, choose your path, controle your speed.

Making a driving rocket is not going to make the challenge easier, and if it does you are not doing it right, unless you have lots of fun doing it. ^_^

Edited by Triop