Mission idea: Kerbal Dakar 2017

Triop

Just now, Azimech said:

I'm too lazy to memorize the whole stage so I planted markers to guide me through it. The clutter is terrible. Anyway ... My best run was my first run, in the dark using cockpit view, and without navigational guides. Finished the whole track in 1,5 hours (In a "thing" you could call science fiction, even if stock). Any moment I couldn't see the horizon but the sky I knew I was driving up approaching the top. That's where I slowed down. Helped me a lot.

That video was what convinced me to turn scatter back on. 

26 minutes ago, mrmcp1 said:

I have 3 ksp forum tabs up at the same time

2yT0Oc1.png

Yes this idea has been seriously fun so far. I was getting a bit bored of my current career and then this came along. It's all I've done in KSP these last few days.

3 minutes ago, mrmcp1 said:

Is anyone elses save littered with the remains of failed designs? They serve as landmarks for me

no I'm resetting my save after trail runs (git checkout persistent.sfs - yes I'm a nerd). If I didn't there'd be even more hazards on the track!
Had a colossal crash at one of the flags, came off a jump, airborne so couldn't steer, slammed right into my spectator stand, debris (and kerbals) everywhere, would have been v hazardous for subsequent runs. So yeah, reset! 

2 minutes ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

Pure electric? Like no generators?

Hmmm, ok, good point...

Question to you all, what is your power source ? (amount of elec./fuel etc.)

I ask this to see how much is needed to drive for 15 minutes.

4 minutes ago, katateochi said:

2yT0Oc1.png

Yes this idea has been seriously fun so far. I was getting a bit bored of my current career and then this came along. It's all I've done in KSP these last few days.

no I'm resetting my save after trail runs (git checkout persistent.sfs - yes I'm a nerd). If I didn't there'd be even more hazards on the track!
Had a colossal crash at one of the flags, came off a jump, airborne so couldn't steer, slammed right into my spectator stand, debris (and kerbals) everywhere, would have been v hazardous for subsequent runs. So yeah, reset! 

And I'm still out of likes. Uploads too. :-P

1 minute ago, Triop said:

Hmmm, ok, good point...

Hmmm ... without knowing the mass & drag of the vehicle, you won't be able to do much with the data you might acquire.

1 minute ago, Azimech said:

Hmmm ... without knowing the mass & drag of the vehicle, you won't be able to do much with the data you might acquire.

For pure EC, you can assume pretty low drag, though. Enough to make rough calcs. 

Edit: in relation to speed. 

Edited by DrunkenKerbalnaut

4 minutes ago, Triop said:

Hmmm, ok, good point...

Basically covered my car with fuel cells with 4 Oscar B fuel tanks lasts the whole rally

Just now, Azimech said:

I mostly want to know if people make efficient cars or just slap a lot off bats and fueltanks on there car and GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Just now, Triop said:

I mostly want to know if people make efficient cars or just slap a lot off bats and fueltanks on there car and GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I know the black wheels well, in terms of power consumption. For 10-50k stints, I use the broad formula of 1 drive wheel for 1 ton for 1 oscar b for 2 small fuel cells. Hasn't F'ed me yet. 

9 minutes ago, Triop said:

Hmmm, ok, good point...

100 units of Liquid Fuel (divided between 3 tanks), about 100 (possibly less) units of EC.  At my average rate, I can make it to Stage 3 with about 5 minutes of fuel remaining, meaning I will make that my refuel point.  Only one refuel point should be necessary for my rover, by my estimates.

(It's either 100 units of LF or 10 units.  I honestly don't remember, but I think it's the former).

Edited by Slam_Jones

10 minutes ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

For pure EC, you can assume pretty low drag, though. Enough to make rough calcs. 

You can test it yourself, create a single I beam with four wheels, an EC generator, some LOX and a probe core. Now place a big wing segment, for example type A, at a 90 degree angle. I mean flat like a wall to the driving direction. Now do the same with the same wing part but at 0 degrees. Measure fuel consumption at 5m/s, 10m/s, 20m/s. Instead of increasing linear ...  No way, I'm stopping. You know this.

Edited by Azimech

Just now, Azimech said:

You can test it yourself, create a single I beam with four wheels, a EC generator, some LOX and a probe core. Now place a big wing segment, for example type A, at a 90 degree angle. I mean flat like a wall to the driving direction. Now do the same with the same wing part but at 0 degrees. Measure fuel consumption at 5m/s, 10m/s, 20m/s. Instead of increasing linear ...  No way, I'm stopping. You know this.

Of course. Now show me a rover in this race that looks like a flying pancake. Well, besides that dude that's busting down the R&D BUILDING WITH HIS BUMPER. he's getting close. 

LOL, me too, just when I wanted to give sal_vager a like.... &)

I spended all my likes on stupid comments. :lol:

I think we should ask for an increase for those taking part in the rally

Of course. Now show me a rover in this race that looks like a flying pancake. Well, besides that dude that's busting down the R&D BUILDING WITH HIS BUMPER. he's getting close. 

Don't tempt me.

Well, not proud of it, but a few days ago I made this...

S81KhjS.png

:blush:

Well, not proud of it, but a few days ago I made this...

S81KhjS.png

:blush:

Okay ... loophole ... I'm beyond 25 likes for today but I can like this post. Ohw wait ... maybe it depends on timezone.

Anyway ... I like your pancake!