HOW TO MAKE A PROFIT i know what it sounds like but i'm new

Also,  as pointed out glue in a thermometer so it will be ready for the eventual "Science around X"  missions. 

Thats great, if you haven't allready grabbed all the science there, which i do as a matter of rote.

I like to do sattelite missions to earn cash.
It example cost 10-15.000 to send up one sattelite and it pay 65.000 ( on hard level )
Sometimes you even get missions where you have to move your sattelite that already are in space, and then you can earn money this way also.
And my favorite you have to send back science from example arround the mum, and then you just visit your sattelite and gather research ( just gather 0 research it is okay ) and then send the data back, mission success
Alternative you can also send a rocket far far away and it will unlock rewards and cash as it get further and further away from kerbin.. ;-)

To unlock sattelite missions, you need solar panel in tier 3 ( i think ) and i highly recommend the small engine in tier 3 also that make it more easy to create small sattelites.

Edited by Peder

3 hours ago, Carl said:

Thats great, if you haven't allready grabbed all the science there, which i do as a matter of rote.

Ah, but "Science around/on X" missions don't care if there is any new science to be found. You can transmit a thermometer report worth zero science points and the contract still completes and pays out.

Start a new game.  Proceed to your first sub orbital flight like normal.  Don't put a rocket in orbit.  The suborbital tourist missions will keep spawning.  Build a suborbital rocket that can carry  6-8 Kerbals.  Start firing Kerbals down range in that.

Odd question, but in line with this, whats the trigger for tourist contracts changing, do i have to put Kerbals in orbit of somwhere or will utting an unmanned probe trigger the tourists to ask to go there?

2 minutes ago, bewing said:

For suborbital tourists, it's best to launch them perfectly straight up, and then land them on the runway again. :) 100% refund on your tourist bus = insane profits.

Well DuH! :wink:.

2 minutes ago, Carl said:

do i have to put Kerbals in orbit of somwhere

The contracts ask you to do things with tourists that you've already done with a kerbonaut. So if you do a krewed flyby in some SOI, you will start getting tourist contracts for flybys.

Right but i can send probes no problem, cool. I've wanted to get out of kerbin SOI for years, (literally, i remember the days before manual struts where in the game and we had one liquid tank, one liquid engine, and one SRB), but somehow i've never quite mustered the combination of will and incentive. Career is doing that for me :). But i'm not really ready to start shipping tourists outside Kerbin SOI

On 5 January 2017 at 9:05 AM, moneytreee23 said:

I would love to know how to get funds coming from a new player. (besides bail out grants and selling science)

For the very beginning, see here:

After that, more of the same. Stack up multiple contracts per mission, get them done as cheaply as possible.

Assuming you are running MechJeb:

Once you have unlocked MechJeb's maneuvering recovering Kerbals from low orbit pays reasonably well if you can get several per mission.

Once you have rendevous then fishing them out of Minmus orbit is much better--the maneuvers are so cheap that you can get several per mission despite being all over the place and high reputation contracts.

I wouldn't consider rescue contracts to make money without MechJeb's help, though.

It also helps that I have multiple monitors, I can do something else while I'm waiting for my rocket to reach it's target.

Edited by Loren Pechtel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.