[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

So, is it better to construct a linked together base or a bunch of separate structures? I have orbital stations with tons of lights and easily twice the part count of a simple ground base that have no lag but as soon as a basic base on the ground gets loaded I am getting single digit FPS. I'm mostly just using MKS parts, is there something I can do to troubleshoot what might be causing it?

5 minutes ago, oniontrain said:

So, is it better to construct a linked together base or a bunch of separate structures? I have orbital stations with tons of lights and easily twice the part count of a simple ground base that have no lag but as soon as a basic base on the ground gets loaded I am getting single digit FPS. I'm mostly just using MKS parts, is there something I can do to troubleshoot what might be causing it?

I don't think ether are better, both single structures and scattered compounds make my PC run like a toaster. My best guess would be local logistics and scavenging, since (for me) the lag wall only really kicks in <150m away from the base (which also happens to be the scavenging range).

There's no reason to be getting single digit lag unless you are on a potato.

If you are, start by looking at the console log and see if you have some spam going on.  If you're still getting a lag issue, then get me a save with just USI/stock parts (and mods bundled with the MKS download).

22 minutes ago, oniontrain said:

Do you use Kopernicus by any chance? It is known to destroy framerate even on high-end PCs. When I removed it, my FPS count went up from 18 to solid 60 when I load my Mun base.

Edited by sh1pman

2 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Do you use Kopernicus by any chance? It is known to destroy framerate even on high-end PCs.

Actually, since i use OPM I could try removing that (after backing up ofc) and see if the framerate on Boogie Base nudges above 3-4fps. I'm not going to remove it, since the lag is a worthy price for access to the OPM system, but it would be interesting to see if that's the root cause.

Just now, RoverDude said:

Nope - it's pretty much needed for any planet pack.  It's really weird that it causes grief, but is what it is

I do recall seeing somewhere that Kopernicus is more of a hack than anything, and the options for optimisation are probably quite limited.

3 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Do you use Kopernicus by any chance? It is known to destroy framerate even on high-end PCs. When I removed it, my FPS count went up from 18 to solid 60 when I load my Mun base.

1 minute ago, RoverDude said:

Yup.. this one is a known issue, and why I had to drop OPM

I am as a matter of fact, I'll uninstall Kopernicus and see what happens first. I've got 16 gigs of RAM and a good video card, and it's just ground bases that do it. I've got some pretty outrageous orbital stations going on with basically no lag even though they're covered in lights and have loads of parts.

2 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Actually, since i use OPM I could try removing that (after backing up ofc) and see if the framerate on Boogie Base nudges above 3-4fps. I'm not going to remove it, since the lag is a worthy price for access to the OPM system, but it would be interesting to see if that's the root cause.

It most certainly is. Even the KSC scene with no planet packs gets the lag.

1 minute ago, sh1pman said:

It most certainly is. Even the KSC scene with no planet packs gets the lag.

I get 25fps in the KSC screen (and 100fps in the TS) with 16gb mem, a decent gfx card and a pretty good processor-what should it be w/o Kopernicus (since I've kinda forgotten what it is not to use a planet pack)?

Just now, oniontrain said:

I am as a matter of fact, I'll uninstall Kopernicus and see what happens first. I've got 16 gigs of RAM and a good video card, and it's just ground bases that do it. I've got some pretty outrageous orbital stations going on with basically no lag even though they're covered in lights and have loads of parts.

I have an i7-4790k, gtx1070 and 16 gigs of RAM. Not exactly a potato PC. And it dropped to 15-18 fps for some ground bases. Now that I've uninstalled Kopernicus, it's solid 60. (Well, it still drops on timewarp, but that's another issue).

Just now, voicey99 said:

I get 25fps in the KSC screen (and 100fps in the TS) with 16gb mem, a decent gfx card and a pretty good processor-what should it be w/o Kopernicus (since I've kinda forgotten what it is not to use a planet pack)?

Without Kopernicus it should be whatever your monitor's framerate cap is.

5 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

I have an i7-4790k, gtx1070 and 16 gigs of RAM. Not exactly a potato PC. And it dropped to 15-18 fps for some ground bases. Now that I've uninstalled Kopernicus, it's solid 60. (Well, it still drops on timewarp, but that's another issue).

Without Kopernicus it should be whatever your monitor's framerate cap is.

Good thing my base largely runs itself these days, since I try to avoid it bc of the lag. Still, as long as everything else stays above 20fps (which it does), being able to use planet packs is still worth the lag (for me, anyway).

I wonder if Kopernicus folks know of this issue. I didn't see any mention of it in their forum post.

2 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Good thing my base largely runs itself these days, since I try to avoid it bc of the lag. Still, as long as everything else stays above 20fps (which it does), being able to use planet packs is still worth the lag (for me, anyway).

Well, you still need to visit it from time to time. Make sure they don't run out of supplies, trigger the catch-up mechanic, etc.

2 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

I wonder if Kopernicus folks know of this issue. I didn't see any mention of it in their forum post.

Well, you still need to visit it from time to time. Make sure they don't run out of supplies, trigger the catch-up mechanic, etc.

I haven't visited it in a year or two, and everything seems good. I do send in a shuttle to bring a shipment of REX back home and do a crew rotation once in a while, but that's it-I'm currently focused on the manned Duna mission and the various probes en route to the outer planets (the only time I have ever considered using ion engines, since its either take decades to get there or put your foot down and quarter it at the cost of a couple of KMS of DV, and only ions have that kind of expendable DV).

Just now, oniontrain said:

Yup. It was Kopernicus, thanks for the help even though it ended up being off-topic.

No problem, it's always Kopernicus! :D

3 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

I haven't visited it in a year or two, and everything seems good. I do send in a shuttle to bring a shipment of REX back home and do a crew rotation once in a while, but that's it-I'm currently focused on the manned Duna mission and the various probes en route to the outer planets (the only time I have ever considered using ion engines, since its either take decades to get there or put your foot down and quarter it at the cost of a couple of KMS of DV, and only ions have that kind of expendable DV).

Enriched uranium is actually more valuable than REX per ton. It's also produced faster and only requires one starting resource (uraninite).

5 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

No problem, it's always Kopernicus! :D

Enriched uranium is actually more valuable than REX per ton. It's also produced faster and only requires one starting resource (uraninite).

But it is more of a pain to transport (unless you cheese it by using a CCd fuel tank). I'm also not sure how you're supposed to load it into the ship.

1 minute ago, voicey99 said:

But it is more of a pain to transport (unless you cheese it by using a CCd fuel tank). I'm also not sure how you're supposed to load it into the ship.

Um, perform maintenance with an engineer? You should use the specialized enriched uranium containers, MKS has them.

Edited by sh1pman

1 hour ago, sh1pman said:

Um, perform maintenance with an engineer? You should use the specialized enriched uranium containers, MKS has them.

They don't have the maintenance module, meaning you can't do that. And adding it would be of limited use, since it would also pull from the ones you had already loaded up.

2 hours ago, voicey99 said:

Generally you just let the fuel processor fill a container, and then move the full container to the transporter. Just like you'd do in real life, you wouldn't shovel uranium pellets without a radiation suit...

You can move it using KIS, docking ports, Konstruction equipment, etc.