What do you think kerbal cities would look like?

1 minute ago, The Dunatian said:

If kerbal homes are in the game then they certainly aren't above ground or someone would have found them by now, and it doesn't make much sense for them to be underground because what's the point of having something in the game that you can't get to? I think it makes more sense for kerbal houses to be underwater. Kerbals can swim, and if they lived far inland what use would they have for swimming? Also, it is possible to explore the seabed using submarine mods or boats with scanners, so it wouldn't be impossible to reach and most of the sea floor is unexplored on kerbin. As long as it remains so my "myth" may have some merit. While I don't believe there are undersea houses there may be easter eggs in kerbin's oceans and if there isn't that would be a cool addition to the game. :)    

... I don't think that there are Kerbal homes anywhere in-game. 

Interesting idea, but don't Kerbals float? You can tell that their spacesuit isn't the most complicated, and if they survive underwater okay then I don't see why the spacesuit would need to float.

Still, underwater cities are very Kerbal.

7 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Interesting idea, but don't Kerbals float? You can tell that their spacesuit isn't the most complicated, and if they survive underwater okay then I don't see why the spacesuit would need to float.

Just making up theories to fit our observations, if there are civilian kerbals in the game (which is very unlikely) its probable that they don't wear bouyant space suits or if they do then maybe they can regulate the pressure in the suit to allow it to sink?

Realistically speaking, wouldn't the first mun discovered outside of Kerbin's two be Ike? It is relatively big, and it seems probable for a guy observing Duna to say "Hey, what is this tiny speck around Duna?". If Duna's apparent magnitude is around -4, then Ike's is at least 0, given a very low albedo. So it is fairly visible.

Back on topic: in my headcanon Kerbals are tree huggers who literaly live in huge trees.

54 minutes ago, The Dunatian said:

Just making up theories to fit our observations, if there are civilian kerbals in the game (which is very unlikely) its probable that they don't wear bouyant space suits or if they do then maybe they can regulate the pressure in the suit to allow it to sink?

Making up theories is the whole point of this thread. :D

4 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

Realistically speaking, wouldn't the first mun discovered outside of Kerbin's two be Ike? It is relatively big, and it seems probable for a guy observing Duna to say "Hey, what is this tiny speck around Duna?". If Duna's apparent magnitude is around -4, then Ike's is at least 0, given a very low albedo. So it is fairly visible.

Back on topic: in my headcanon Kerbals are tree huggers who literaly live in huge trees.

Hey, I'm just following what the description said. Maybe it was eclipsed at the moment? Jool was greener, so they pointed their telescopes at it first? I don't know, good point.

1 minute ago, munlander1 said:

Where are the trees though?

Um... trees, I guess?

Just now, MinimalMinmus said:

It's a mistery for everybody!

*mystery

Just now, MinimalMinmus said:

It's a mistery for everybody!

More seriously isn't this criticism appliable for literally everything here?

I guess so, but most can or can not be disproven. Because you said they live and there are no trees on kerbin, it's not that easy to disprove.

1 minute ago, munlander1 said:

I guess so, but most can or can not be disproven. Because you said they live and there are no trees on kerbin, it's not that easy to disprove.

I said it's a headcanon: take it as: If I was in charge of designing some kind of architecture for kerbin, [fill the blank].

35 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

What are you talking about? Do you have "terrain scatter" turned off by any chance?

41 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

2 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

No, I don't. I was just disproving what he said.

But there are trees on Kerbin... what?

Edited by ThatGuyWithALongUsername

1 hour ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

NVM, I guess you need to urn your terrain detail to "high". They're working now.

When ever I take my ear buds out since it is cold I will use the computer to hear them up then put them in my ears. It can make my watch burn. I am not gonna attempt to run ksp with those settings. About 34 seconds met takes about 1 minute real time. It "slows down" occultations but sucks for anything else. I guess the point of this post is that my computer is a wimp.

11 hours ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

:D

Certainly. I mean, it's much more fun to come up with a vastly different universe based off direct observations than just assume the differences don't exist and are only caused by the developer's "laziness".

A fair point but making direct observations eventually leads you to Mad (or at least increasingly implausible) Physics. Also, the kerbals live in a moddable malleable universe where entire planets can appear, disappear or inflate at will and even the stars themselves are not fixed. Kerbin  can have clouds, trees, cacti, mysterious patches of light on the ground - but not for all observers. :)

So I'm with Tex.

Personal headcanon - the traditional kerbal dwelling is basically a large round hut built round a tree trunk. Modern kerbal architecture is fairly modular - and still based around that traditional hut. Bigger buildings are essentially a set of hut shapes smushed together, so tend to have a very curvy, scalloped, organic look to them. Outwardly, they'll be built from natural materials - stone, wood, maybe even fabrics, but with more modern materials under the surface.

Kerbal cities are generally very green, pleasant places to live. with lots of trees and parks. Transportation relies heavily on electric vehicles or bicycle rickshaws called tik-tiks. (If anyone has been to Thailand, yes this is a blatant riff on the tuk-tuk. :) )

3 hours ago, KSK said:

A fair point but making direct observations eventually leads you to Mad (or at least increasingly implausible) Physics. Also, the kerbals live in a moddable malleable universe where entire planets can appear, disappear or inflate at will and even the stars themselves are not fixed. Kerbin  can have clouds, trees, cacti, mysterious patches of light on the ground - but not for all observers. :)

So I'm with Tex.

Personal headcanon - the traditional kerbal dwelling is basically a large round hut built round a tree trunk. Modern kerbal architecture is fairly modular - and still based around that traditional hut. Bigger buildings are essentially a set of hut shapes smushed together, so tend to have a very curvy, scalloped, organic look to them. Outwardly, they'll be built from natural materials - stone, wood, maybe even fabrics, but with more modern materials under the surface.

Kerbal cities are generally very green, pleasant places to live. with lots of trees and parks. Transportation relies heavily on electric vehicles or bicycle rickshaws called tik-tiks. (If anyone has been to Thailand, yes this is a blatant riff on the tuk-tuk. :) )

I just base it off the stock game with all settings on high. I don't think these physics allow for planets changing and such, I guess a modded universe is just different. At least, that's how I view it. There isn't really a definite, fixed answer to this question and it depends on the player.

It would be brilliant if there was a small citys or towns dotted around Kerbin that we could visit and meet other Kerbals going about their business. ....maybe a cantina to visit and talk to other kerbals (players) online about new crafts they've built etc. I'm no programmer but could it be that hard to do? Would make landing,  rovering and flying to these so much more interesting. ..  

2 hours ago, maceemiller said:

It would be brilliant if there was a small citys or towns dotted around Kerbin that we could visit and meet other Kerbals going about their business. ....maybe a cantina to visit and talk to other kerbals (players) online about new crafts they've built etc. I'm no programmer but could it be that hard to do? Would make landing,  rovering and flying to these so much more interesting. ..  

I think it is would also be resonable to have a fine in career mode if you damage or destroy one. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.